Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 03:47 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Conservatives are so pathetic. Every problem that pops up during Obama's two terms doesn't automatically parallel to some failure during the two horrific terms of your former village idiot leader.

The oil spill was caused by the previous administration's charter of deregulation where cutting corners to bypass safety regulations was as common as GOP sour grapes. President Obama is doing an excellent job dealing with the problem.

...and don't you forget it either.
Yet the Obama administration gave this very rig a safety award. They were in office a year and half, why didn't they ram through some regulations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 03:47 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,071,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I don't know. What did you expect Bush to do in New Orleans?
Actually put into use FEMA and other tax-payer emergency services whose sole purpose is situations like such.

Quote:
For starters, he might want to meet with the CEO of BP - you know, to start his a$$ kicking. Yelling at BP in the media is not going to accomplish anything. Right now, people need to be working together instead of blaming. Sort that out later. In essence, be a leader.
It's still better than hiding in your tree house and browsing the internet much like your previous president was during Katrina.

Quote:
Suffering makes you an authority? Why don't we just take the people who lost loved ones in 9/11 and put them all in the Department of Homeland Security then?
I'll listen to them before I listen to any rightwing chickenhawk about who we should be bombing and what not.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Yet the Obama administration gave this very rig a safety award. They were in office a year and half, why didn't they ram through some regulations?
We've been down this damn road before. Obama did not award this rig anything. That myth has been debunked.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Actually put into use FEMA and other tax-payer emergency services whose sole purpose is situations like such.
Those require a request from local government that was not made. By the way, I've never had much faith in FEMA.

Quote:
It's still better than hiding in your tree house and browsing the internet much like your previous president was during Katrina.
I didn't know he had a tree house. That's pretty cool.

Quote:
I'll listen to them before I listen to any rightwing chickenhawk about who we should be bombing and what not.
That may actually be a good policy. Perhaps the current President should give them a call too.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
We've been down this damn road before. Obama did not award this rig anything. That myth has been debunked.
I haven't seen that. Do you have a link? If that's the case, then I stand corrected on that point.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Those require a request from local government that was not made. By the way, I've never had much faith in FEMA.
Really? Ray Nagin never made any plea or request for any aid?

Old 06-09-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
I haven't seen that. Do you have a link? If that's the case, then I stand corrected on that point.
The last safety award BP won was given by RoSPA in 2006. It was nominated this last April by a committee that Obama had nothing to do with.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:55 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
How many days warning was there about WHEN the oil rig would explode vs. WHEN Katrina would be arriving?

How much expwerience has the US had dealing with hurricanes vs. capping deep-water wells spewing this volume of oil?

Old 06-09-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
The last safety award BP won was given by RoSPA in 2006. It was nominated this last April by a committee that Obama had nothing to do with.
I'm not going to bother to look it up, but I'll take your word for it. Thanks for the correction.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:01 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
There are reportedly enough regulations, the problem is they carry fines in amounts the companies are willing to write off as a cost of doing business. What's needed are regulations with teeth, including hard jail time for those responsible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies