Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 07:31 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,666,072 times

Advertisements

The federal government was on the scene the first day with the personnel trained to handle these situations. Obama was monitoring progress (per the timeline provided). BP was the only entity with the technology to even try and stop it, so not much feds could do but put in their hands a problem BP created.

I guess you all anti-Obama people are just looking for anything to attack him for, but I don't think it's here. This response is a thousand times better than Katrina.

Just the fact that a horse guy frat buddy of Bush was put in charge of an emergency management administration should be criminal neglect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 07:34 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,053,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
The federal government was on the scene the first day with the personnel trained to handle these situations. Obama was monitoring progress (per the timeline provided). BP was the only entity with the technology to even try and stop it, so not much feds could do but put in their hands a problem BP created.

I guess you all anti-Obama people are just looking for anything to attack him for, but I don't think it's here. This response is a thousand times better than Katrina.

Just the fact that a horse guy frat buddy of Bush was put in charge of an emergency management administration should be criminal neglect.
So you're satisfied with the response and the results of that response huh?

Old 06-09-2010, 07:34 PM

631 posts, read 718,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I defy any person, liberal, conservative, or moderate, to provide good rationale as to why this is not "Obama's Katrina."

I'm looking for good, reasoned, rationale. Do you have any?

From a PR/ poltical point, both did awful. I would say equally as bad.

From a cleanup/recovery point of view Katrina was way worse. Micahel Brown was a joke, and Bush sat there and defended him. Until we see Thad Allen making the same mistakes as Brown did, I dont think you can even begin to compare the two.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:41 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,259,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Deaths in Katrina: 4081

Deaths in oilrig negligence: 11

Thanks for at least admitting Bush was an epic fail. The first of the 12 steps is admitting the problem.

Let me correct you.

Confirmed deaths attributed to Katrina is NOT 4,000 it was 1,800. Nice try!

Of those 1,800, 1,500 were people who were ordered to leave and did not. And this count is not just in La but also included the Bahamas, Cuba etc.

President Bush went on national TV 5 days before Katrina hit and told people to leave.

Your liberal Mayor and your liberal Governor caused these deaths because unlike the oil spill this disaster is controlled by the state first and federal second.

Your liberal Mayor should be in jail for not following written and documented procedures. He wanted to be a hero and failed.

Bush had national guard outside of La waiting for the word from your liberal Governor to allow them to come in and they did not get the call until it was too late.

Stop making up stuff like this. The fact is the people died for two reasons.

They did not follow ORDERS and your liberal Mayor wanted to be a hero and caused the death of these people for not doing his job.

Look up the federal law that prohibits federal officials to get involved in any a state matter until after the feds get the call for help from the Governor.

Perfect example, Jeb Bush did this correct and saved the lives of thousands of people in Florida.

Another? Arnold followed the procedure in place several times during the wild fires and saved thousands of lives and homes because he did not want to be a hero like Nagan did.

To make it clear.

Katrina was a state controlled disaster and laws prohibit feds from taking control until those procedures are in place. Your liberal Mayor and Governor failed to follow the correct procedures and cost those people their lives.

This oil spill is in a FEDERAL CONTROLLED area. HUGE difference and this disaster may not cost this many lives but it will cost us a beautiful coastline, many peoples livelihood and will cost us all tons of money in the end because of the failures of this FEDERAL government and this ADMINISTRATION to wait for 47 days to finally do something.

Lives are NOT the only thing in a disaster to be counted. This oil spill will cost Americans homes, jobs and much more because of the daily mistakes and poor decision making skills of the idiot in the WH who had TOTAL CONTROL of this from day one he said.

Again, FEDERAL means FEDERAL control.

Do not confuse the two and make you look up the act that prohibits the feds from coming in during a disaster until the Governor of the state follow proper procedures inwhich your liberal Governor in La failed.

Funny, Alabama, Mississippi and Florida all had hurricanes and they followed the procedures to get help. And they were of course republicans who did not want to be a hero like the criminal Nagan did.

READ the following act.

http://www.fema.gov/about/stafact.shtm

You will find that natural disasters in on-shore states are governed by that state and not by the federal government.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:47 PM

631 posts, read 718,370 times
Quote:
I defy any person, liberal, conservative, or moderate, to provide good rationale as to why this is not "Obama's Katrina."

I'm looking for good, reasoned, rationale. Do you have any?

Also if we're gonna make silly comparisons based on geographic locations is the times square bomber Obama's 9/11? Or does that not count

Old 06-09-2010, 07:49 PM

24,481 posts, read 33,175,556 times
Excellent facts and info, Sunny-Days90!

Old 06-09-2010, 07:57 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,206,481 times
Sunny-Days90..excellent post.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:05 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,053,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Let me correct you.

Confirmed deaths attributed to Katrina is NOT 4,000 it was 1,800. Nice try!

Of those 1,800, 1,500 were people who were ordered to leave and did not. And this count is not just in La but also included the Bahamas, Cuba etc.

President Bush went on national TV 5 days before Katrina hit and told people to leave.

Your liberal Mayor and your liberal Governor caused these deaths because unlike the oil spill this disaster is controlled by the state first and federal second.

Your liberal Mayor should be in jail for not following written and documented procedures. He wanted to be a hero and failed.

Bush had national guard outside of La waiting for the word from your liberal Governor to allow them to come in and they did not get the call until it was too late.

Stop making up stuff like this. The fact is the people died for two reasons.

They did not follow ORDERS and your liberal Mayor wanted to be a hero and caused the death of these people for not doing his job.

Look up the federal law that prohibits federal officials to get involved in any a state matter until after the feds get the call for help from the Governor.

Perfect example, Jeb Bush did this correct and saved the lives of thousands of people in Florida.

Another? Arnold followed the procedure in place several times during the wild fires and saved thousands of lives and homes because he did not want to be a hero like Nagan did.

To make it clear.

Katrina was a state controlled disaster and laws prohibit feds from taking control until those procedures are in place. Your liberal Mayor and Governor failed to follow the correct procedures and cost those people their lives.

This oil spill is in a FEDERAL CONTROLLED area. HUGE difference and this disaster may not cost this many lives but it will cost us a beautiful coastline, many peoples livelihood and will cost us all tons of money in the end because of the failures of this FEDERAL government and this ADMINISTRATION to wait for 47 days to finally do something.

Lives are NOT the only thing in a disaster to be counted. This oil spill will cost Americans homes, jobs and much more because of the daily mistakes and poor decision making skills of the idiot in the WH who had TOTAL CONTROL of this from day one he said.

Again, FEDERAL means FEDERAL control.

Do not confuse the two and make you look up the act that prohibits the feds from coming in during a disaster until the Governor of the state follow proper procedures inwhich your liberal Governor in La failed.

Funny, Alabama, Mississippi and Florida all had hurricanes and they followed the procedures to get help. And they were of course republicans who did not want to be a hero like the criminal Nagan did.

READ the following act.

FEMA: Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act (Public Law 93-288) as amended

You will find that natural disasters in on-shore states are governed by that state and not by the federal government.
Thank you for this post. I should have challenged the data provided by that poster. Something told me the numbers were wrong, but I went about my business without fact-checking it. Thank you for doing it for us.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:09 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,948,718 times
Quote:
Thank you for this post. I should have challenged the data provided by that poster. Something told me the numbers were wrong, but I went about my business without fact-checking it. Thank you for doing it for us.
I agree.

Thanks, Sunny.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:16 PM

37,835 posts, read 21,927,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
The response to Katrina was by far the largest- and fastest- rescue effort in U.S. history, with nearly 100,000 emergency personnel arriving on the scene within 3 days of landfall.
... and all done without the deep pockets and expertise provided a foreign corporation.

And I'm not even counting the 15,000 or so civilians BP has hired through their Vessels of Opportunity program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies