U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 02:32 PM

8,468 posts, read 13,252,318 times

Advertisements

There's no shortage of posts where someone says we should stop paying out unemployment benefits, that the people still employed shouldn't have to pay for the ones who are unemployed, blah blah blah. Funny how a lot of these same people look the other way when it comes to corporate welfare. Today I just read that The Chamber of Commerce thinks taxpayers should help pay for cleaning up the oil spill. "Everybody is going to contribute to this clean up. We are all going to have to do it. We are going to have to get the money from the government and from the companies and we will figure out a way to do that."

And if that weren't bad enough, John Boehner said "I think the people responsible in the oil spill--BP and the federal government--should take full responsibility for what's happening there." So when individuals lose their job through no fault of their own, they shouldn't get government handouts. But when a corporation causes a huge mess, taxpayers should bail them out? Seriously, if you're one of these people who's angry about the unemployed getting tax dollars, why don't you direct your anger at the people who believe in corporate welfare since that's a far bigger drain on our tax dollars than giving individuals an extra few hundred dollars a month.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:33 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,642,620 times
Agreed. Should've let a lot of giants fail.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:37 PM

17,579 posts, read 38,400,792 times
I think BP should pay for the whole thing.

That being said, haven't people gotten 99 weeks of unemployment? Not too bad if you ask me.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:45 PM

3,676 posts, read 5,866,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I think BP should pay for the whole thing.

That being said, haven't people gotten 99 weeks of unemployment? Not too bad if you ask me.

No, not all.

OK, why don't you try to live on a few hundred a week?

Old 06-10-2010, 03:49 PM

141 posts, read 503,228 times
I think we spent too much time copying Franklin Rosevelt's policies when we should have been copying Theodore Rosevelt's policies. If it is too big to fail it is too big to exist. Time to start trust busing, breaking these big corporations into smaller entities, particularly the ones that can hold our whole economy hostage.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:51 PM

26,589 posts, read 53,057,915 times
BP and their subcontractors who include Transocean, and Halliburton (why does the latter come up everytime there's some sort of fiasco?) need to take full financial, legal, and moral responsibility for this mess.

"Government" is the US taxpayers, and we should not be out one red cent.

And to think they were fighting wind turbines along Cape Cod. Would they rather have a mess with oil?

Old 06-10-2010, 04:03 PM

8,468 posts, read 13,252,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou347 View Post
I think we spent too much time copying Franklin Rosevelt's policies when we should have been copying Theodore Rosevelt's policies. If it is too big to fail it is too big to exist. Time to start trust busing, breaking these big corporations into smaller entities, particularly the ones that can hold our whole economy hostage.
I agree. Unfortunately, you have too many free market types who think government has no right to get involved with private industry.

The reason Republicans have been pushing for Obama to take charge of the oil spill is so that they could then claim it was a problem owned by the government and should therefore be solved and paid for by the government. Notice how that one party is always trying to get the government to help big business, but the rest of the time wants it to get out of the way? Hypocrites.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:01 PM

17,579 posts, read 38,400,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
No, not all.

OK, why don't you try to live on a few hundred a week?
If I'm ever unemployed I will give it a shot.

The point is people have been given money. For a much longer time period than they originally would have gotten. So I'm not really sure why the argument was even made in the first place.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:44 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,210,251 times
the end the spill will be paid for by consumers anyway. I don't see BP even saying that they will insist on the laibility cap imposed in law;so i don't see where your comig from. Of course we have seen many cleanup done from manufacrturing faciltites in the past.There woud be no neeed for many EPA government cleanups if not.But in the end you would expect BP to take dedcution because profits will be effected. Its not like governamnt creats anything but is depepdent largely on corporate tax money and the wealhy now days. many people pay basically nothig to support the government functions.Fewer and fewer are paying the bills very year.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:06 PM

8,998 posts, read 12,781,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I agree. Unfortunately, you have too many free market types who think government has no right to get involved with private industry.

The reason Republicans have been pushing for Obama to take charge of the oil spill is so that they could then claim it was a problem owned by the government and should therefore be solved and paid for by the government. Notice how that one party is always trying to get the government to help big business, but the rest of the time wants it to get out of the way? Hypocrites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies