U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 01:42 PM

3,632 posts, read 2,624,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal77 View Post
Would like to hear you guys' thoughts on this...
I doubt they will. I think they will take the House, but not the Senate.

If they DID, I think Obama's approval ratings would go up. As paradoxical as it sounds, America likes the President more when we have Divided Government.

It'd also bring the debate down from rhetoric to a more meaningful level. The GOP, instead of being the Party of No, would have to put up or shut up. They'd have to be constructive and offer policies, and yes, compromise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 05:20 PM

16,779 posts, read 16,365,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post

If they DID, I think Obama's approval ratings would go up. As paradoxical as it sounds, America likes the President more when we have Divided Government.

It'd also bring the debate down from rhetoric to a more meaningful level. The GOP, instead of being the Party of No, would have to put up or shut up. They'd have to be constructive and offer policies, and yes, compromise.
As will the President. Compromise does not mean "take it or leave it I won the election".

Old 06-11-2010, 06:03 PM

102 posts, read 72,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal77 View Post
Would like to hear you guys' thoughts on this...
It will be great to have adults in charge once again.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:08 PM

4,884 posts, read 4,836,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
What we need is a Republican congress, senate and president and then we can overturn the healthcare bill among other things in 2013.
Given that we just tried letting the Republicans be in charge of everything and it was an abysmal failure what makes you think anyone would trust them again? Hell, we're still trying to fix the things they screwed up.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:13 PM

6,642 posts, read 3,574,742 times
With any luck you might see some sanity returning to Congress

Old 06-11-2010, 06:13 PM

4,884 posts, read 4,836,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
To be honest, I don't even think it really matters at all anymore as I see Democrats and Republicans as two wings of the same political party, the corpratistwhore party.

Republicans start a disastrous series of unfunded wars and democrats vow to correct it if elected. Once elected, they decide oh well its worked so well before, why change now. Winner - various arms manufactures, Haliburton et al, etc...

Finance and banking industry, it would take a crowbar to wrench the lips of any political candidate from their backsides, regardless of party. Winner - the banks that were too big to fail that did fail and bailed out just in time to then hand out bonuses for sucking the life out of the average American citizen.

Health Care might have been decent and greatly improved, but the Democrats couldn't find a spine amid the lunatic Republican freepers of death panels and instead caved on the public option. Winner - Insurance industry who now gets their extra turn at the trough to suck the life out of a greater mandated number of American citizens.

The small handful of decent political figures who have an ounce of decency and honor and actually give a damn about their constituents are crushed under a sea of corporate lobbyist and establishment political figures that are counting the days until they have sucked all the life out of our country and can then retire to some nice beach resort in the Caymans where they will then take a consultant position for yet another lobbyist firm to see what value the dried up husk of hide that is left of our country can bring them.

Other than that, I don't see any great change in how this country works with Republicans gaining a majority in the Senate.
This is the most honest post in this thread.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:16 PM

49,627 posts, read 41,783,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post

I know what you are saying about liking the Pres when the government is devided but in this case, unless things change a lot in 2 years, I am not sure much can save him. this is just an opinion, nothing more. How he handles things like immigration and the world crisis will determine his future. So far he isn't doing a great job.

Nita

Old 06-11-2010, 06:18 PM

2,901 posts, read 1,894,477 times
I'll be sipping Champange(as long as they are FISCALLY CONSERVATIVE and curb all of this spending)....

Old 06-11-2010, 06:24 PM

1,737 posts, read 939,203 times
If the gop takes the senate over, heaven help this nation!

Old 06-11-2010, 06:32 PM

17,862 posts, read 11,631,919 times
what will happen if the GOP takes the senate in Nov?

The GOP will ensure that Obama gets reelected in 2012. If the GOP take either house this November, they will make Obama appear as a moderate. Just like they did with Clinton from 1995-1996, and that is why he got reelected. The vast majority of the voters do not comprehend how their own government functions, they continually blame or credit the President for acts of Congress. So a fiscally responsible Congress that cuts spending, maybe even tosses in a tax reduction, etc., will only make Obama look even better to the typical voter in 2012.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies