Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 08:19 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLRGHOST View Post
Israeli's are not (white) they are Jewish.
Have you taken a close look at Netanyahu?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 08:53 AM

328 posts, read 196,102 times
Yes I have. They look white I know but they are not.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:21 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
"Arab" is a weird classification to work with. Someone from NW Africa can be quite different racially from say Syria or Lebanon yet both be Arabs.
Both Arabs and Hispanics are categorized generally by a common religion (Arab) or language (Hispanic). Neither one is specifically a race as it relates to the color of their skin. That is why for this census Hispanic was not considered a race.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:44 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
The only curious thing is that the Hispanic count hasn't gone up a bit more. Maybe they are avoiding the census takers?
My thoughts exactly. If the census is to count citizens, then yes it's pretty accurate; but there's many who are here illegally who avoid the light of the census.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:10 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
"Arab" is a weird classification to work with. Someone from NW Africa can be quite different racially from say Syria or Lebanon yet both be Arabs.
Yes, the Arab designation is much like the Hispanic or Latino, except that Arabs have been around much longer........

Arab is a language and cultural heritage, more than a racial one. Although many Arabs share racial characteristics, some do not. Some who speak Arabic as a language and have a distinct Arab culture are more black African or mulatto (Sudan, Egypt, Libya, Morocco), while there are those in Syria or Lebanon who are blond-haired and blue-eyed.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:27 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
According to the latest Census Bureau Estimates for 2009, the ethnic composition of the United States looks something like this...

65.1% Non-hispanic white
15.8% Hispanic
12.3% Non-hispanic Black
4.6% Asian
1% Native Alaska or Native American
1.7% 2 or more races
.2% Hawaiian or Pacific Islander
Why estimate when they can count? Let's revisit these numbers after the count and see how good they are at guessing.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:50 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLRGHOST View Post
Greek and Italians are white. Israeli's are not they are Jewish.
Israelis are many different colors. Most, however, come from Europe.

Jewish is an ethnicity. It is not a race. Ashkenazi jews can be blonde with blue eyes.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
My thoughts exactly. If the census is to count citizens, then yes it's pretty accurate; but there's many who are here illegally who avoid the light of the census.
Fine with me. They should be considered "unathorized visitors" with temporary - at best - status.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Both Arabs and Hispanics are categorized generally by a common religion (Arab) or language (Hispanic). Neither one is specifically a race as it relates to the color of their skin. That is why for this census Hispanic was not considered a race.
Yes, but Americans do not understand. Not even the media.

Article after article about "declining white America" or "minority majority".... wherein an ethnic group (Hispanics) is lumped with racial minorities (black, Asian, Amerindian, mixed).

I mean, sure, if we count white as ONLY being people with European ancestors that made no stop in South or Central America before coming to the United States....

All it does it rile up the white people scared of minorities, and bring joy to the self hating whiteys and minorities who think the next majority will be nicer to them or something, lol.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:06 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,153,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
According to the latest Census Bureau Estimates for 2009, the ethnic composition of the United States looks something like this...

65.1% Non-hispanic white
15.8% Hispanic
12.3% Non-hispanic Black
4.6% Asian
1% Native Alaska or Native American
1.7% 2 or more races
.2% Hawaiian or Pacific Islander

(Does not total 100% because hispanics can be more than one race for the figures I selected) (the rest of the ethnic groups are for people claiming one race) (Not pinpoint accurate but a good general idea

These figures are based on the estimated 307,006,550 people residing in the US.

I am not trying to start a debate. I am just wondering what people's take is on the accuracy of these estimates. Any surprises?
It's probably fairly accurate. After living in Arizona, Florida and now Colorado, my opinion usually falls to the "there are probably more Blacks and Hispanics than the census says" but then I head to visit my family in Eastern Washington/Idaho and it's almost entire White. Our country is a big one.

I would also like to know how many people like my husband (who's 1/2 Hispanic) count in this census. He identifies himself as Caucasian but I'm sure others would identify themselves as Hispanic. The census seems to show it's either one or the other and for that figure, I very much doubt that only 1.7% of the population identifies themselves as "2 or more races." That number seems very small and even I, in my sheltered world of suburbia, know there are many multi-racial couples out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies