Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2010, 02:07 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,737 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the laugh fellows, I had a great time. Glad I could get under your skin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 02:14 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,737 times
I have 2 friends who are black, 1 is from Jamaica and the other grew up on a farm. Both grew up away from the black ghetto culture in America, thank god. Its funny because color and culture aren't even an issue with these two. I am very glad to have them as friends. It is the black ghetto culture that I despise.

Last edited by aveojohn; 06-12-2010 at 03:16 PM..

Old 06-14-2010, 08:40 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,719,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Yes...I am saying that if whites were in the shoes that blacks were in, being brought from Europe and enslaved in a land by a race different from their own, opressed for centuries and lived under the doctrine of white inferiority...ect..etc....would you believe that whites would fare any better at the same jucture than blacks are faring with the reality of that history.
OK, so I had to really give this some thought. As I really do believe there are some self defeating behaviors with in the American Black culture.

But at the end of the day it was about answering your question. And the answer is giving the exact same set of circumstances then YES.. they would be in the same position..

Here is my reasoning.

Taking black's as a separate people and stereotyping them through statistics is Usefull but it doesn't paint the entire picture.

Fact is there is a large segment of white People who are living in Poverty and suffering from the same issues.

If we painted a RED DOT on all of the white people who were living in welfare and on public assistance. And then painted red dots on all of their children and called them the red dot people...

We would see the same cycle of ignorance that we see with black people..

Some would make it out but most would perpetuate the cycle of poverty, ignorance, crime, hopelessness..

People would be saying.. why cant the red dots get their act together?

In the end there is cultural differences that need to be addressed by Black people. I have asked for statistics in other countries where Blacks did not sufer the same fate as American blacks during slavery.. And I appreciate your photo's.. they were nice!

I almost didn't go in the direction I was going too.. I thought Of my own family and the poverty they came from and the success they found through hard work! why cant everyone do it??

well I came to the conclusion that Poor people today have nothing in commen with Poor people 70 years ago..

My dad grew up with one pare of shoes and one pare of pants.. Walk into welfare home today and see piles of laundry sitting on the floor..

A women wasn't rewarded when she had a child out of wedlock.. And she certainly was not rewarded when she had her 4th child from daddy number 3..

Our system perpetuates laziness and nothingness.. Disgusting family values.. uneducated and ignorant children..

We blame the schools for poor test scores when all you have to do is look at the family. Our solution is to keep throwing money at the problem..

three fathers, one mother, fifteen children, thousands of taxpayer dollars :: WRAL.com

Old 06-14-2010, 09:07 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
There does not have to be a variety...or difference in kind....but rather, just a difference in degree. Oppression is not all the same. For example, mixed blacks were considered blacks and were oppressed...but not to the same degree as dark skinned blacks. Each family had their own unique experience with oppression and racism and some families and individuals experienced more of it than others...which would mean that the impact VARIED based uppon DEGREE of oppression. Even back during slavery....the condition and treatment of the slaves varied by owners but they were all slaves. Light skinned blacks were more often allowed to work in the house and darker skinned blacks worked mostly in the fields. Hence, its a difference in degree that you might be ignoring. There does not have to be a different factor.
Your point about the difference in experience is a good one.

Regarding the presence of a second factor or not, here's the problem. The history is the history and will not change. If there is no influence other than that history, there is no possibility for anything else to make a difference and progress is necessarily stalled.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:02 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,208,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
I am not trying to set you up... you are a good example and role model for ALL children!

But

how did you pay for college?

where do you and your husband work?
Sorry, just seeing this; was off the boards. My husband and I were married when I started college, so I received very little grant money (less than $1K/year). The rest of my education was paid by scholarships, but mostly loans . The first half of my education, I went to community college; the second: University of Maryland-College Park. My B.A. program took over 7 years (!!!), but throughout that time, my husband and I earned between $40-50K combined. Hubby now is an Assistant Manager at a credit union; I work as a Finance Assistant for a major nonprofit in Downtown DC. BUT, I'm seriously considering teaching English at the secondary level for the 2011-2012 school year...hence my desire to pursue my Master's in January.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:09 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,415,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Sorry, just seeing this; was off the boards. My husband and I were married when I started college, so I received very little grant money (less than $1K/year). The rest of my education was paid by scholarships, but mostly loans . The first half of my education, I went to community college; the second: University of Maryland-College Park. My B.A. program took over 7 years (!!!), but throughout that time, my husband and I earned between $40-50K combined. Hubby now is an Assistant Manager at a credit union; I work as a Finance Assistant for a major nonprofit in Downtown DC. BUT, I'm seriously considering teaching English at the secondary level for the 2011-2012 school year...hence my desire to pursue my Master's in January.
go for it choclot! our kids need "seasoned" folks like you!!

Old 06-14-2010, 11:53 AM

531 posts, read 338,131 times
Well im going to say yes. I think if my race went through the same we would do better. My great grandma, great grandpa, grandma all survived through the holocaust. Even before that they lived in dirt literally dirt poor towns in eastern Europe where Jews were not allowed in society for hundreds of years. When they were freed from the holocaust my grandpa wad forced to fight on the front lines for the Russian army. Thats the story of a good amount of american Jews. Now in terms of people that are still alive Jews of the world war 2 generation went through way worse conditions than black Americans. Im not promoting Jewish supremacy at all i was just answering in terms of my race. Chinese people went through horrible horrible conditions in world war 2 before and after. In many cases worse than what the jews went through. I live in queens where i have friends whose parents grew up in Pakistan, Yemen and Afghanistan, you wanna talk about oppression. Do you know how much worse Mexican people have it in this country and there own? So im saying many races have came from conditions worse than what blacks have gone through and they are doing fine. Asian, Muslim Americans I know are dirt poor. They live in small old apartments with no ac and big families, but the generation raised in America does do better. Even when they remain in poverty the neighborhood is still safe.
Now everything i wrote above is pointless and means nothing. I wanna target a bigger issue here, the person who started this post. You made this post hoping a white person would say something racist so you could point out how evil we are. Your a racist. Plenty of black people make it out of the hood and do good in life. Theres black kids who go to ivy league schools who grew up next door to kids doing life in prison. People like you give black people a bad name. I hope most of the white people in here realize that most black people aren't race obsessed Malcolm X wanabees liek this kid. Well i hope i gave you the racist cracker response you were looking for.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:21 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,719,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I see a lot of African Americans joining the ranks of government employment and non profit type work..

The Irish were discriminated against terribly when they came to America and there was a movement into the civil service employment.. (remember all old time cops were irish)

So I was just thinking maybe there is a connection, but who knows.. I am not a big fan of Big gov or even Non Profit groups but people need to work and not all Non Profits are bad

Old 06-14-2010, 01:25 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,324 times
If someone believes race is what defines individuals then those individuals are doomed to the race outlook on life.
You as a individual black, white, etc have one goal and that is to be responsible for yourself period. You actions are not related to your race, or your community and or anything else if that defines you then you are not seeing clearly. You are a human being and unique individual and not a color.
When individuals think as groups they fail as groups you can not survive yourself without the rest of the group from bringing you down.
Others in the group dont want to succeed they see your advancement as a problem to the own issues the groups has together.
DON"T BE APART OF THE GROUP!

Ignore the talk and statics and propaganda.

You will find this applies to most things in life!!!

Its up to you the individual, nothing should stop you from living, and moving forward and not even a government should ever degrade your liberty no matter your color and economic standing.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:29 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
I have a black coworker--we're at precisely the same socioeconomic status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies