Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 05:38 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Your rebuttal is not only contradictory (why do you waste your time trying to get me to stop wasting my time )...lol....as well as a complete straw man (you think the goal is to make non-blacks feel guilt ).

You are a breathing and walking working example of WHY this topic needs to be in the forefront. Your reasoning and assumptions are flawed....and we all know and have friends of other races...or most of us do. That does not negate how you feel about the ones THAT YOU DON"T KNOW and have not PROVEN themselves as having "broken the mold".
So you refuse to address my points and think that is a valid argument?

Half of the people I hang out with on a daily basis are NOT WHITE.

Racism is a non-issue to me. Sorry - the problem here is not me, but you.

There are white people who I don't like and there are black people I don't like. Here is a hint - that has NOTHING TO DO WITH RACE.

Grow up and realize you are doing nothing more than simply whining about something that is a non-issue today. OK champ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 06:06 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,653,909 times
I would be in the same place I am in from walking in my own shoes.
I learned a long time ago to be thankful for good things and treat negative thoughts like they are a plague.
If you live in the slums, be thankful you have a roof over your head.
If you have heartaches, think of a blessing that you have and be thankful for that blessing instead of being sad about the heartache.
If the guy next door hates you, be thankful for the one on the other side who loves you.
If you are in a wheelchair, be thankful you can still sit up.
Whatever it is, find something to be thankful for and treat self pity like the enemy out to destroy you.
Instead of CHOOSING to believe that union soldiers died to earn $7.00 an hour, choose to believe they DIED to help you and BE THANKFUL that they did.
Being thankful will set you free to be a person others value.
Self pity will keep you a SLAVE until the day you die and no union soldier can help you with that.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:32 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
I would be in the same place I am in from walking in my own shoes.
I learned a long time ago to be thankful for good things and treat negative thoughts like they are a plague.
If you live in the slums, be thankful you have a roof over your head.
If you have heartaches, think of a blessing that you have and be thankful for that blessing instead of being sad about the heartache.
If the guy next door hates you, be thankful for the one on the other side who loves you.
If you are in a wheelchair, be thankful you can still sit up.
Whatever it is, find something to be thankful for and treat self pity like the enemy out to destroy you.
Instead of CHOOSING to believe that union soldiers died to earn $7.00 an hour, choose to believe they DIED to help you and BE THANKFUL that they did.
Being thankful will set you free to be a person others value.
Self pity will keep you a SLAVE until the day you die and no union soldier can help you with that.
Maggie, I couldn't rep you (yet). Thank you for such a wonderfully inspiring post!

Old 07-16-2010, 07:43 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
So you refuse to address my points and think that is a valid argument?

Half of the people I hang out with on a daily basis are NOT WHITE.

Racism is a non-issue to me. Sorry - the problem here is not me, but you.

There are white people who I don't like and there are black people I don't like. Here is a hint - that has NOTHING TO DO WITH RACE.

Grow up and realize you are doing nothing more than simply whining about something that is a non-issue today. OK champ?
Just because you may circle yourself with non-whites, that does not mean that you don't have a negative general perception of blacks. There are many Asians and Hispanics that view black people negatively. Latin America has its only racist history and color hiearchy and Asians seem to assimilate to the thinking of whites. One thing does not imply another.....in other words, having a lot of minority friends does not mean that you can't think negatively of a particular minority. Furthermore, you keep talking about the PEOPLE YOU KNOW. News flash.....YOU DON'T KNOW MOST PEOPLE!!! Its how one generally views people that they don't know....that is when stereotypes take over. Of course, when you KNOW someone personally, they have the opportunity to seperate themselves as "exceptions to the rule", which then someone like you can then embrace them. However, just because you embraced the exception does not mean you have changed your opinion of the "general rule" for the group.

I have a brother who has a fantastic personality. Everyone likes him......thugs, business professional, blacks, whites....you name it...they like him. He often tells me that white people would tell him, because they felt so comfortable with him, that they did not see him like other black people. He was "different". My mom told me that she worked with a lady whose husband "hated" black people. She said the lady told her that, but that after her husband had met and got to know my mom, he liked her and seperated her out. He did not stop hating black people, he just granted exception to my mother. You see, if you understood human nature you would realize that humans have general perceptions but allow for exceptions to those general rules. People like you have the flawed logic which assumes absolutism. In other words, you infer that liking and accepting some black people means that you view blacks, as a general rule, equally. Thats like somone assuming that because I like Kevin Garnet of the Boston Celtics....that I therefore am a fan of the Boston Celtics. One cannot assume the way one feels about a part is the way one feels about the whole. However....that is the fallacy you are using. You have a circle of friends that are non-white....and from that you expect others to extrapolate from that and explode it to mean that is how you feel about the whole. Again, that would be akin to me arguing against the accusation that I did not like the Boston Celtics by pointing out how I was a big fan of Kevin Garnet. Well....can I not like a team....but like a player on that team? Can a person generally think negatively of black people....but think highly of one or more black individuals? Yes...humans are dynamic like that. Its not an all or nothing proposition that you attempt to infer.

I think that it is POSITIVE that people have relations of other races. I think that is a step in the right direction. However, it is not PROOF that one does not harbor a general negative view of a particular group that one may have friends that are members of that group.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Just because you may circle yourself with non-whites, that does not mean that you don't have a negative general perception of blacks. There are many Asians and Hispanics that view black people negatively. Latin America has its only racist history and color hiearchy and Asians seem to assimilate to the thinking of whites. One thing does not imply another.....in other words, having a lot of minority friends does not mean that you can't think negatively of a particular minority. Furthermore, you keep talking about the PEOPLE YOU KNOW. News flash.....YOU DON'T KNOW MOST PEOPLE!!! Its how one generally views people that they don't know....that is when stereotypes take over. Of course, when you KNOW someone personally, they have the opportunity to seperate themselves as "exceptions to the rule", which then someone like you can then embrace them. However, just because you embraced the exception does not mean you have changed your opinion of the "general rule" for the group.

I have a brother who has a fantastic personality. Everyone likes him......thugs, business professional, blacks, whites....you name it...they like him. He often tells me that white people would tell him, because they felt so comfortable with him, that they did not see him like other black people. He was "different". My mom told me that she worked with a lady whose husband "hated" black people. She said the lady told her that, but that after her husband had met and got to know my mom, he liked her and seperated her out. He did not stop hating black people, he just granted exception to my mother. You see, if you understood human nature you would realize that humans have general perceptions but allow for exceptions to those general rules. People like you have the flawed logic which assumes absolutism. In other words, you infer that liking and accepting some black people means that you view blacks, as a general rule, equally. Thats like somone assuming that because I like Kevin Garnet of the Boston Celtics....that I therefore am a fan of the Boston Celtics. One cannot assume the way one feels about a part is the way one feels about the whole. However....that is the fallacy you are using. You have a circle of friends that are non-white....and from that you expect others to extrapolate from that and explode it to mean that is how you feel about the whole. Again, that would be akin to me arguing against the accusation that I did not like the Boston Celtics by pointing out how I was a big fan of Kevin Garnet. Well....can I not like a team....but like a player on that team? Can a person generally think negatively of black people....but think highly of one or more black individuals? Yes...humans are dynamic like that. Its not an all or nothing proposition that you attempt to infer.

I think that it is POSITIVE that people have relations of other races. I think that is a step in the right direction. However, it is not PROOF that one does not harbor a general negative view of a particular group that one may have friends that are members of that group.
So let me get this straight - no matter WHAT I say you will think I, deep down, harbor resentment towards blacks?

How can I have a conversation with you? You aren't looking for input, you are looking to bash people who think differently than you.

You know - I actually DON'T have a negative perception of blacks. The fact that you assume people do says a lot about how racist you really are.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
So let me get this straight - no matter WHAT I say you will think I, deep down, harbor resentment towards blacks?

How can I have a conversation with you? You aren't looking for input, you are looking to bash people who think differently than you.

You know - I actually DON'T have a negative perception of blacks. The fact that you assume people do says a lot about how racist you really are.
I NEVER said that you harbor resentment against blacks. Look dude....I DON'T KNOW you. I cannot recal reading a thing you have said about the topic of race to glean anything about your attitudes towards blacks. All I know is that you don't like me....and I am cool with that. What I have been pointing out to you is that you telling me about your multi-racial circle does not demostrate that you don't see black people negatively, or inferior, as a group relative to whites or others. It may very well be the case that you have a healthy and respectful view of black people in general....but sharing that you have a multi-racial circle of associates does not prove that. Black people do not respect the "some of my best friends are black" defense because we have existed in a racist nation for so long that we know that such is not proof that one is not a racist. Not granting exception to ANY black person....that is the EXTREME form of racism that exist in people consumed with hatred. Most racism is not about hate or emotions....its about ignorance and rationalizations of racial supremacy.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:08 AM

968 posts, read 2,623,210 times
Quote:
I NEVER said that you harbor resentment against blacks. Look dude....I DON'T KNOW you. I cannot recal reading a thing you have said about the topic of race to glean anything about your attitudes towards blacks. All I know is that you don't like me....and I am cool with that. What I have been pointing out to you is that you telling me about your multi-racial circle does not demostrate that you don't see black people negatively, or inferior, as a group relative to whites or others. It may very well be the case that you have a healthy and respectful view of black people in general....but sharing that you have a multi-racial circle of associates does not prove that. Black people do not respect the "some of my best friends are black" defense because we have existed in a racist nation for so long that we know that such is not proof that one is not a racist. Not granting exception to ANY black person....that is the EXTREME form of racism that exist in people consumed with hatred. Most racism is not about hate or emotions....its about ignorance and rationalizations of racial supremacy.
you take a straw man arguement (usually "why do whites hate blacks") and then when people tell you that all people don't believe that way, you accuse them of believeing that way. it insults them and they take it personally.

they fire back at you and get angry. then you leave and start another thread about racial injustices that exist in this world.

your posts are the same every time, and they never deviate. you make it vastly apparent that you're black and have a chip on your shoulder against the white man. and while your chip is justified because of years of slavery and captivity, you hold the wrong white people accountable for those wrong doings that didn't even happen to you.

so stop attacking the people on this board.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
you take a straw man arguement (usually "why do whites hate blacks") and then when people tell you that all people don't believe that way, you accuse them of believeing that way. it insults them and they take it personally.

they fire back at you and get angry. then you leave and start another thread about racial injustices that exist in this world.

your posts are the same every time, and they never deviate. you make it vastly apparent that you're black and have a chip on your shoulder against the white man. and while your chip is justified because of years of slavery and captivity, you hold the wrong white people accountable for those wrong doings that didn't even happen to you.

so stop attacking the people on this board.
BS! Show me where I have ever asked "why do whites hate blacks". I don't even believe that a significant percentage of whites "hates" blacks. I just don't see that in the world around me. However, I do see evidence of white racism all the time.

If you are going to chime in....please don't start off with saying I said something that I never said. You NEVER heard me sat that....yet you inject that LIE as the foundation of your rebuttal. Most of the rebuttals and dissent is based upon logical fallaices, obfuscation and misdirection. Either you folks are not intelligent or bias has constipated your intellect. News flash....if cannot dissent without using argumentive fallacies....you are on the wrong side of the truth.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
I am going to be honest. I truly don't understand you. You come up with any excuse to 'prove' to people that blacks have it tougher than whites.

Why? Please answer that.

What do you hope to gain from all of these anti-white threads you start?

Why is it so hard for you to accept that racism is not a problem for the majority of people?

Please answer my questions instead of ignoring them (as you usually do with direct questions!)

Old 07-16-2010, 10:38 AM

hnsq: I am going to be honest. I truly don't understand you. You come up with any excuse to 'prove' to people that blacks have it tougher than whites.

Why? Please answer that.

I am not attempting to “prove’ to you or anyone that blacks HAVE HAD it tougher. All I have done is point out that actions manifest reactions and that the black condition of socioeconomic inequality today is ROOTED in the reaction to centuries of slavery, Jim Crow and general discrimination. I contend that if groups have walked in our shoes or walked the path we walked, and then they would be where we are today….socioeconomically.

That is simply my position and belief. I am not trying to PROVE or get others to accept that. However, I do note the logical implication of the belief that “blacks have not had it tougher” can ONLY mean that blacks are seen as inferior and it’s their inferior nature that is the cause of current socioeconomic inequality and gaps. Nature and Nurture are the only possible causations. Problems manifest from the internal or external. Hence, when one disputes an external (nurture) causation of current socioeconomic inequality, they are implicitly arguing internal (nature) causation. It’s a binary state of possibilities, like a light. It’s either on or off. It’s either nature or nurture. It’s either internal or external.

In light of that, if one does not accept that blacks have had it any more difficult, yet, blacks are way behind in socioeconomic vital statistics, such as poverty and unemployment, wealth and the like, then they are saying that the accept/believe the opposite, which is that the NATURE of blacks is simply inferior to the NATURE of whites and others who do statistically better. Thus, you can believe what you want to believe and reject what you want to reject, however, in doing so you indentify yourself as either a believer in racial superiority or not.

What do you hope to gain from all of these anti-white threads you start?

Give an example of something I said that is anti-white. Define anti-white first and map it to something I said.

Why is it so hard for you to accept that racism is not a problem for the majority of people?

Racism has never been a problem for the majority of people. Its been the problem of the minority of people who have been victimized by it. Racism is not a problem for the people who exercise it. Its the people who they exercise it against that it is the problem for. Furthermore, when there are over 200 million whites in this nation and only 40 million blacks that means that there is 1 black person for every 5 whites. Thus, if ONLY one out of 5 whites were actually racist...that would be one racist white person for every black man women and child in America and if any of those racist were in position of authority.....it could and would negatively impact opportunity for black people. Thus, the question for you is what percentage of white people being racist does it take to present a problem for black America and how and why can you vouch for what the percentage is and is not?

Please answer my questions instead of ignoring them (as you usually do with direct questions!

I answered your question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies