Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 01:59 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Demonizing them to draw attention away from what he did.

Please tell me exactly what Obama said or did to "demonize" this poor innocent oil company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 02:03 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,156,294 times
Funny how many "small government" people seem to want to hold Obama at fault for BP breaking the law, spilling oil, and lying about the quantities.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:04 PM

This is what is really bothering BP and the UK. Read up all of you BP apologists.

Quote:
The investigators, who have been quietly gathering evidence in Louisiana over the last three weeks, are focusing on whether BP skirted federal safety regulations and misled the U.S. government by saying it could quickly clean up an environmental accident.
Quote:
The move by federal prosecutors represents an escalation in the government's involvement in the oil spill — from coordinating the environmental cleanup to searching for possible criminal violations.
Feds weigh a criminal probe of BP - Los Angeles Times

Old 06-11-2010, 02:05 PM

68 posts, read 117,926 times
Apparently the US refused any help in cleaning up the spill:

Dutch Consul General based in Houston

Quote:
Three days after BP’s Deepwater Horizon drilling platform exploded in the Gulf of Mexico, the Netherlands offered to help. Ships could have set about clearing the oil using Dutch sweeping arms, but the US government didn’t take up the offer. Dutch Consul General Geert Visser in Houston told Radio Netherlands Worldwide he was disappointed.
The US response, says Mr Visser: “‘Thanks for your help, but at the moment we can manage ourselves.’ And that was it.” He puts the reticence down to pride.

Late
Weeks later the pride was forgotten and the US came to the Dutch for help after all. “Almost a month later – a month too late, of course – Washington did make a request to send the sweeping arms to Houston in Texas,” says Mr Visser. “They arrived in three 747s, ten days later. They were then transported to Louisiana to be mounted on ships.”
Dutch consul slams US foot-dragging on oil spill | Radio Netherlands Worldwide

and

Why Did The U.S. Refuse International Help on The Gulf Oil Spill? | Before It's News

Old 06-11-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Hey it is your pal Obama tossing out bailouts like they are candy. I am all for companies that fail to go away. But if BP is forced into chapter 11 before they have disgorged the money we will be on the hook for it.
The GOP are certainly stepping up to the plate!

YouTube - GOP Wants You To Pay For The Oil Spill

Old 06-11-2010, 02:22 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
The anointed O will stop the leak with lawyers and lawsuits have you not heard?

Last edited by Pretzelogik; 06-11-2010 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 06-11-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
The anointed O will stop the leak with lawyers and lawsuits have you not heard?
I heard the GOP will stop the leak by spending enormous federal funds, a.k.a. our hard earned taxes.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:27 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The GOP are certainly stepping up to the plate!

YouTube - GOP Wants You To Pay For The Oil Spill
You do realize we pay one way or another. It was the big O who dithered for 40 days before he heard the people. But he his the largest recipient of BP dough, so it is understandable.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:30 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,534,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Well, here's some new BP logos:

New BP Corporate Logos
That literally made my day. Here it's 3:30 PM and I'm bored at work and you hit me with this little enlightenment. Thank you, and I'm sharing this with all.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:33 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,461,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Please tell me exactly what Obama said or did to "demonize" this poor innocent oil company.
Jojan, rather than asking "whose a$$ he should kick" or telling us how he "will make BP pay", his better, more mature course of action would have been to put together a high-ranking committee the day after this disaster struck. Input from Environmental organizations, from Oil Company Disaster Planning experts, from members of the MMS, local representatives (either government or simply working people) of the community directly affected, etc.

Instead, he did almost nothing for the first few weeks. He left it in the hands of BP to manage the spill, the first attempts at finding solutions - and more importantly - he left it to BP to manage the press. Wrong move.

When he finally woke up to the fact that this was quickly becoming his Katrina, he actually appeared to be pissed off at being placed in this role of ownership of a disaster not of his making. Unforunately, that his within his job spec. No one knows precisely what that "3 am" call will contain - but we darn well know that the guy we elected had better be able to handle whatver it is. He has not done so thus far.

The British people are pretty simple to understand. If you are going to scold them, then all they ask is that you tell them what they should be doing instead. To have a President of the United States suddenly start appearing on the TV acting like a guy who is defending his little sister with a lot of "hold me back, hold me back" is just embarassing for all of us in the United States.

If he had formed the committee above, went through their recommendations for action and clean-up and what BP will be facing after this debacle, the British people would deal with it. But he has not done that. Make them pay for what? Who has given them an itemized list with our demands. No one. Geez - he hadn't even thought of meeting with the BP CEO!! The committee could also have looked into the regulations and inspections around this industry. Who dropped the freaking ball? Now THAT, my friend, is an a$$ worth kicking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies