Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 06:00 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,807,897 times

Advertisements

Other than for Jindal's political image, maybe not.

Scientist Warns: Sand Berms Won't Last : NPR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 08:07 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,510,458 times
Maybe in the beginning yes! But after Obama drags his feet for 50 days.....probably not. Don't blame Jindal!

Old 06-12-2010, 08:28 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,239,765 times
Obama couldn't be bothered. Plus, you can always blame the result on "not enough money". That always works.

Don't forget to blame evil corporations! That resonates well as mindless populism.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:37 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,253,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Maybe in the beginning yes! But after Obama drags his feet for 50 days.....probably not. Don't blame Jindal!
Got to find a Republican to blame. "The One" has to come out of this untarnished !

Old 06-12-2010, 08:43 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,281,516 times
According to the scientist in the article they won't: "The structure that I see that they're planning to build is going to erode as soon as it's constructed, and it's going to have a tough time making it through a hurricane season that's predicted to be a fairly active one," Young tells NPR's Melissa Block. "I just don't have a very high level of confidence that a project that's going to require a lot of energy and a lot of sand and mobilize a lot of people is going to do what they promise it will do."

He also says: "...every morning when I wake up, I'm not sure whether to call somebody in anger or to cry or to throw up. But doing something just to be looking like you're doing something is not the right thing to do."

Old 06-12-2010, 08:44 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,239,765 times
You also burn off the oil, not just contain it.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
According to the scientist in the article they won't. "The structure that I see that they're planning to build is going to erode as soon as it's constructed, and it's going to have a tough time making it through a hurricane season that's predicted to be a fairly active one," Young tells NPR's Melissa Block. "I just don't have a very high level of confidence that a project that's going to require a lot of energy and a lot of sand and mobilize a lot of people is going to do what they promise it will do."
So they should just get their lawnchairs out and sit on the beach waiting for the oil to wash up ? Or wait for the Fed to "locate" some booms ?

Heck, something is better than nothing and how can berms be any worse ecologically then oil ?

People put sandbags up in hopes of stalling or preventing flooding don't they ?

Why sit back and do nothing when there is something, even with a small possibility of working, to do ?

Old 06-12-2010, 08:53 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,281,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So they should just get their lawnchairs out and sit on the beach waiting for the oil to wash up ? Or wait for the Fed to "locate" some booms ?

Heck, something is better than nothing and how can berms be any worse ecologically then oil ?

Why sit back and do nothing when there is something, even with a small possibility of working, to do ?
I don't disagree with that. If I lived down there, I'd want to try anything and everything....but there are two sides to the story and that's all the article is pointing out. The article also said the berms could actually make it worse. I wish that would have been explained out better as to how it could do that.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:56 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,807,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

I think the point is, that there may be better ways to use the resources needed for this "experiment", that appears to have experts skeptical about it's value.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I think the point is, that there may be better ways to use the resources needed for this "experiment", that appears to have experts skeptical about it's value.

Well I would think it's a different set of resources so why not try it ?
I certainly would be all for it if I lived along the shore and would be supporting my local government down there for at least trying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies