Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would YOU Fly On A Plane With No PILOT?
YES, I Trust My Life To Computer Technology! 3 13.64%
YES, I Would But I Am Not Comfortable Doing It 2 9.09%
Only If I Absolutely Had To Fly 1 4.55%
No Way Will I Fly With No Pilot 16 72.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 06:00 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times

Advertisements

You board an airliner to fly somewhere but there is no pilot aborad! Maybe not even any crew! It looks like it is the coming thing. Even today most the actual flying is done by computers. The pilot doesn't steer the plane or land or take off. He just pushes a few buttons and the plane pretty much flies itself. So technically I can see a day when the pilot is not needed. BUT I would not feel very comfortable with nobody in command myself. I want somebody up there at the front "just in case". What about you?

Now,passenger aircraft will fly without Pilot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 06:55 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
You board an airliner to fly somewhere but there is no pilot aborad! Maybe not even any crew! It looks like it is the coming thing. Even today most the actual flying is done by computers. The pilot doesn't steer the plane or land or take off. He just pushes a few buttons and the plane pretty much flies itself. So technically I can see a day when the pilot is not needed. BUT I would not feel very comfortable with nobody in command myself. I want somebody up there at the front "just in case". What about you?

Now,passenger aircraft will fly without Pilot
I'm not totally comfortable with a trained pilot at the helm, much less a computer.

Can you say, "hackers' delight"?

Old 06-12-2010, 07:27 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,985 times
Computers don't get drunk, or suicidal, or get sick, or get angry, or distracted, or care if you point a gun at them.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:35 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,461,434 times
Not going to happen for commercial air travel. NYC subways are also designed to run with no driver - but due to feedback from the public (mostly NO!!!!!), they like to see a human being in that seat. It's all about perception.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:41 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Computers don't get drunk, or suicidal, or get sick, or get angry, or distracted, or care if you point a gun at them.
No they don't. But on the other hand, computers are machines. Machines can fail. What happens when you're on a computer-operated plane without a pilot and the computer fails? Do you just write it off as "one of those things?"

Old 06-12-2010, 07:55 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,301,832 times
They'd need someone on board to just be there as maintenance or support in case something goes wrong. And they'd have to know how to fly it "just in case."

Old 06-12-2010, 07:56 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:

Yeah, but can they make a decison, land a plane safely on the Hudson River and evacuate it in less than 90 seconds?

Old 06-12-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
No they don't. But on the other hand, computers are machines. Machines can fail. What happens when you're on a computer-operated plane without a pilot and the computer fails? Do you just write it off as "one of those things?"
Considering that the vast majority of fatal plane crashes are due to pilot error, the numbers speak for themselves. Redundancy is built into the system in the event of failure. On modern large commercial aircraft the pilot is not only the most useless piece of equipment on an aircraft but the one most likely to fail. You may feel more comfortable having a human to blame but I don't.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:05 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,493 times
Quote:
Considering that the vast majority of fatal plane crashes are due to pilot error, the numbers speak for themselves. Redundancy is built into the system in the event of failure. On modern large commercial aircraft the pilot is not only the most useless piece of equipment on an aircraft but the one most likely to fail. You may feel more comfortable having a human to blame but I don't.
Agreed. Pilots today already fly heavily augmented by computer and electric assistance, with computer autopilot already being able to serve (and already serving) every major function a pilot is supposed to handle. With AP, pilots have become expensive valet's for aircraft.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Considering that the majority of fatal plane crashes are due to pilot error, the numbers speak for themselves. Redundancy is built into the system in the event of failure. On modern large commercial aircraft the pilot is not only the most useless piece of equipment on an aircraft but the one most likely to fail. You may feel more comfortable having a human to blame but I don't.
You can easily point out a small number of incidents where the pilot did indeed save the day but the NTSB can point out many more instances of a malfunctioning pilot crashing a perfectly good airplane.

We can sit here and argue this point till the cows come home. I trust machines more than people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies