Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 06:30 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,271,809 times

Advertisements

What is funny is, that some of you actually defend this culture, but I have seen it criticized in other threads. Make up your mind you can't have it both ways. I know this article is 6 yrs old, but I have seen Bill interviewed since then and he still stands by what he said. My question to all of you is, do you want your kids to grow up in this type of culture.This is exactly why Afrocentric schools were developed. What Bill said seemed to fall on the deaf ears of black parents who don't want to face the responsibility of raising there kids the right way. You complain about white people discussing black folks, but I have yet to see any of you do anything to try to correct the situation or offer a solution, but god forbid white people should try to intervene. I.S. blames yrs of oppression for their behavior, but I have asked him for his offering of a possible solution on several occasions I receive no reply. So, instead of making excuses and arguing with me I ask you to give me a possible solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 09:00 AM

Have you given up?

Old 06-14-2010, 09:08 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,079,987 times

Actually it's Bill Cosby, and, yes, he does have a valid point.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:11 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,079,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Moor View Post
Libs have been calling him racist for years.

I lived in Northampton and Western MA for years.

Really, exactly what "libs" have called him racist?

Some libs, all libs? rumored libs?

Old 06-14-2010, 09:35 AM

531 posts, read 337,396 times
Here there is a problem here and im gonna point the finger at black people and possibly white liberals......Just because its a white person making the point doesn't make it anti black ...... If ur trying to deny that there is a huge problem in the black community with violence, crime and kids who basicly don't speak English your bull****ting....And yes i said black not poor because its a black problem mostly..... There are plenty of middle class black neighborhoods filled with kids who have two hard working parents that still have gangs and all that ****.... And yes white people do need to realize that al shaprton and jessie jackson are not the king of black people most blacks i kno hate them......I think black people have all the potential in the world but need to realize they are there own worst enemy.....nobody oppresses the black race more than "thugs"......But back to my original point people need to stop getting offended when a white person makes the point.....Most black people I know agree with every word bill cosby said.....Most black people that disagree i would think have agendas because if you have spent time in the hood and gone to mostly black schools there is certain behavior you cannot ignore

Old 06-14-2010, 09:36 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,489,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
What is funny is, that some of you actually defend this culture, but I have seen it criticized in other threads. Make up your mind you can't have it both ways. I know this article is 6 yrs old, but I have seen Bill interviewed since then and he still stands by what he said. My question to all of you is, do you want your kids to grow up in this type of culture.This is exactly why Afrocentric schools were developed. What Bill said seemed to fall on the deaf ears of black parents who don't want to face the responsibility of raising there kids the right way. You complain about white people discussing black folks, but I have yet to see any of you do anything to try to correct the situation or offer a solution, but god forbid white people should try to intervene. I.S. blames yrs of oppression for their behavior, but I have asked him for his offering of a possible solution on several occasions I receive no reply. So, instead of making excuses and arguing with me I ask you to give me a possible solution.
The simple fact is that this thread is an attempt to dredge up a non-issue based on an old article on Bill Cosby's opinions. Additionally, the average Black person agrees with Bill Cosby's statements. So what is the real point of the thread?

You are attempting to create "controversy" where none exists simply to get your jollies by eliciting anti-Black posts by the others like you on C-D.

Seriously, why do Black people occupy so much of your thoughts, time and energy?

Old 06-14-2010, 11:18 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,166,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
The main problem I had with Cosby back then was that he was giving these speeches to the wrong Blacks. The middle class Black folks who were at these Rainbow/Push conferences and at Spelman college aren't the Blacks who are in crisis but they are part of the solution.

Cosby should have been giving these speeches at prisons and juvenile institutions directly to the Blacks who need to hear his message. Those middle class Blacks could help by using their education to become entreprenurs and starting more businesses helping to reduce the Black unemployment and under employment rate that's at the root of these problems in the ghetto.
You're absolutely right. He and others should be doing that.

But if you look at the entire text of Cosby on this subject and other times he's talked about it, the successful and middle class Blacks is one group he is criticizing...for allowing their children to take on the mien and accoutrement of the thug look and life.

His remarks also show that he believes that those who can do the most, set the best examples, etc., i.e., the groups he is talking to, have been too silent, done too little in the face of what he is railing against.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The simple fact is that this thread is an attempt to dredge up a non-issue based on an old article on Bill Cosby's opinions. Additionally, the average Black person agrees with Bill Cosby's statements. So what is the real point of the thread?

You are attempting to create "controversy" where none exists simply to get your jollies by eliciting anti-Black posts by the others like you on C-D.

Seriously, why do Black people occupy so much of your thoughts, time and energy?
If you can't take the heat then get out of the kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies