Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 03:44 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,394,400 times

Advertisements

I'm not a Neo-conservative.

I'm not a liberal.

While I decide on my issues on a case by case basis, and not along party lines, I could best be described as a Paleo-conservative / libertarian.

There are certain issues that I'm more 'liberal' on, usually those that make more sense due to the high density population that neo-conservatives are intent on fueling (through policy, either official or unofficial)), even while they preach 'conservative' policy. High population and conservative policy are antithetical to one another. Practical policy needs to be implemented in higher populations, or else population reduction strategies need to be in place (like tighter controls on immigration, widespread contraceptive education in schools, etc) Assuming a lower population density, I am libertarian / paleo-conservative. But I digress.

I'm educated, experienced and cultured enough to know not to talk about politics in mixed company. Politics is an emotional and highly personal issue. Its too much of an emotional catalyst to risk speaking about in mixed company, without running a high risk of offending someone, starting an argument, or even starting a fight.

Its not nice and even low class, for instance, to make rude comments during a dinner party about democrats or make a political comment if you know that there is a high risk of democrats being present. Or even non-democrats that might strongly disagree with you nonetheless.

However, I have frequently been in the company of neo-conservative supporters (who think they are real conservatives/libertarians, heh) who insist on making political commentary during social situations. I am around a lot of different people. I don't hear such nonsense from members of any other party in such mixed company. And I'm sensitive to pick it up. For instance, I've never been around a democrat who makes such remarks outside of a small circle of people who he or she is sure shares his or her views. I know that this happens, but in my experience it happens much less than with neo-conservatives over the age of 25.

In all seriousness, I can out-argue these people 95% of the time. It wouldn't even represent a challenge to me. I see the vast majority of neo-conservative views and arguments to be highly contradictory, inconsistent, hypocritical, shallow and sophomoric. For instance, my uncles are now worried about issues that I was worried about in 2001, only now because Obama is president. But they were no less of an issue when Bush was president. To me, they are 9 years to late to the table and are being highly partisan in their concern. It grates my ears to hear about these concerns, because I know they wouldn't have them if a "conservative' was president. But the mechanisms behind the issues would remain the same.

Thats just my opinion, I know. But thats not my point. My point is that I'm really tired of being the one who has to hold my tongue to maintain social decorum. I bite my tongue for the sake of not starting an argument in mixed company. I could make comments and make people uncomfortable as well, or I could respond to the comments made, but I'm mature enough not to. And I'm 33. I have to take these comments coming from 'adults' who are twenty years my senior.

Why is it that neo-conservatives can't keep their mouths shut in mixed company? Democrats and libertarians feel no less passionate about their issues, and they had to endure 8 years of Bush. Its just immature and low class to think everyone will agree with you, or if they don't, that they will otherwise keep their mouth shut. And if your looking to start a political argument at a social event, your just a...well...lets say a 'piece of work'..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 03:51 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,548,420 times
Two words:

No class.

P.S They'll soon be screeching in here claiming that the left are the worst offenders.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:04 PM

19,822 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Do you feel better now?

btw, I agree that it is impolite to bring up politics during a dinner party or other such social event.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:18 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Politics is an emotional and highly personal issue. Its too much of an emotional catalyst to risk speaking about in mixed company, without running a high risk of offending someone, starting an argument, or even starting a fight.

Its not nice and even low class, for instance, to make rude comments during a dinner party about democrats or make a political comment if you know that there is a high risk of democrats being present. Or even non-democrats that might strongly disagree with you nonetheless.

However, I have frequently been in the company of neo-conservative supporters (who think they are real conservatives/libertarians, heh) who insist on making political commentary during social situations. I am around a lot of different people. I don't hear such nonsense from members of any other party in such mixed company. And I'm sensitive to pick it up. For instance, I've never been around a democrat who makes such remarks outside of a small circle of people who he or she is sure shares his or her views. I know that this happens, but in my experience it happens much less than with neo-conservatives over the age of 25.

Why is it that neo-conservatives can't keep their mouths shut in mixed company? Democrats and libertarians feel no less passionate about their issues, and they had to endure 8 years of Bush
Yes, people of all political persuasion feel passionate about the issues, and I think it's OK to talk about it provided that people can discuss it in a civil, polite fashion. It is possible to do that, you know. Social functions do not need to be devoid of substance or stimulating conversation. If this is a recurrent problem, perhaps you need to take a good look at the guest list and elminate the trouble makers.

By the way, there weren't too many people as I recall who "endured 8 years of Bush" without a lot of loud bashing.

Quote:
P.S They'll soon be screeching in here claiming that the left are the worst offenders.
If not worst, at least equal to.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:31 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
I'll bet you hold out pinkie when you drink from a cup.

Talk about elitist. "I am educated", blah, blah, blah.

Sounds like you only want to engage people that think as you do.

And, yes, some of the rudest people I know are liberals and don't hold back at all. It goes both ways.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:36 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Fior the same reason that ultra liberals can't I imagine really. But then what you heard may depend on your circle.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:38 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post

I'm not a liberal.

While I decide on my issues on a case by case basis, and not along party lines, I could best be described as a Paleo-conservative / libertarian.

There are certain issues that I'm more 'liberal' on, usually those that make more sense due to the high density population that neo-conservatives are intent on fueling (through policy, either official or unofficial)), even while they preach 'conservative' policy. High population and conservative policy are antithetical to one another. Practical policy needs to be implemented in higher populations, or else population reduction strategies need to be in place (like tighter controls on immigration, widespread contraceptive education in schools, etc) Assuming a lower population density, I am libertarian / paleo-conservative. But I digress.

I'm educated, experienced and cultured enough to know not to talk about politics in mixed company. Politics is an emotional and highly personal issue. Its too much of an emotional catalyst to risk speaking about in mixed company, without running a high risk of offending someone, starting an argument, or even starting a fight.

In all seriousness, I can out-argue these people 95% of the time. It wouldn't even represent a challenge to me. I see the vast majority of neo-conservative views and arguments to be highly contradictory, inconsistent, hypocritical, shallow and sophomoric. For instance, my uncles are now worried about issues that I was worried about in 2001, only now because Obama is president. But they were no less of an issue when Bush was president. To me, they are 9 years to late to the table and are being highly partisan in their concern. It grates my ears to hear about these concerns, because I know they wouldn't have them if a "conservative' was president. But the mechanisms behind the issues would remain the same.

Thats just my opinion, I know. But thats not my point. My point is that I'm really tired of being the one who has to hold my tongue to maintain social decorum. I bite my tongue for the sake of not starting an argument in mixed company. I could make comments and make people uncomfortable as well, or I could respond to the comments made, but I'm mature enough not to. And I'm 33. I have to take these comments coming from 'adults' who are twenty years my senior.

Why is it that neo-conservatives can't keep their mouths shut in mixed company? Democrats and libertarians feel no less passionate about their issues, and they had to endure 8 years of Bush. Its just immature and low class to think everyone will agree with you, or if they don't, that they will otherwise keep their mouth shut. And if your looking to start a political argument at a social event, your just a...well...lets say a 'piece of work'..

That is odd. My experience is just the opposite- loud mouth offensive liberals who cannot keep thier mouths shut. They always bring up politics and are social pains in the ass. They are cheap as well and very poor tippers. Quite the offensive and disgusting social lot in general and not the types who are good joes to be around.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:44 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post

I'm not a liberal.

I stopped reading right here. Have a drink...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
That is odd. My experience is just the opposite- loud mouth offensive liberals who cannot keep thier mouths shut. They always bring up politics and are social pains in the ass. They are cheap as well and very poor tippers. Quite the offensive and disgusting social lot in general and not the types who are good joes to be around.
You, too. What kind of parties are these, anyway?

Old 06-13-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I'll bet you hold out pinkie when you drink from a cup.

Talk about elitist. "I am educated", blah, blah, blah.

Sounds like you only want to engage people that think as you do.

And, yes, some of the rudest people I know are liberals and don't hold back at all. It goes both ways.
I see you chose to re-interpret what I said to fall in line with your views of people who who are different than you.

Elitist? You know nothing about me. As long as people don't behave like social misfits, I could care less about their education. But I am "socially educated" enough to know not to be obnoxious in public. If thats elitist, then so be it. Although, let it be made clear that I am referring to social intelligence, and nothing else. But I also know that "elitist" is a term neo-conservatives like to throw around willy-nilly. So, I understand.

And my entire post is expressly about me not wanting to engage people on politics at all, in mixed company, and not about wanting to engage people who think as I do. I am fine with socializing with anyone, no matter what their affiliation. Just don't pick a fight or argument if you don't want one. Its bad manners. As is expecting people not to speak up for their beliefs if you are challenging very sensitive topics. Therefore, at a peaceful gathering of disparate people, politics should be avoided.

Your response is devoid of anything relevant to what I said.

Old 06-13-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Do you feel better now?
Yes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies