Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 11:34 AM

8,514 posts, read 4,493,384 times

Advertisements

I consider myself a moderate. I refuse to allow anyone to label MY views.

Sometimes my viewpoints are what would be considered liberal (Pro-choice) and yet other times conservative (Very anti-illegal immigration). No lock stop viewpoints for me at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 11:35 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
neo-cons are former dems.....

neo-cons are about big government....(ie bush and the patriot act)

neo-cons are also religious nuts....(ie SOUTHERN BAPTIST democtrats)

dick cheney is a globalist....just like bush1,clinton, bush2, and obama....think NWO....see the nafta highway

Old 06-15-2010, 11:49 AM

210 posts, read 173,059 times
^ 60 yrs ago bush and all the neo cons today wouldve been democrats. no question !

Last edited by BX-ALBO; 06-15-2010 at 12:23 PM..

Old 06-15-2010, 12:08 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,197 times
One thing I've noticed is that it appers some are confusing moderate with being an Independent or an independent thinker. Just because one identifies oneself with the views of conservatives or liberals does not make unable to think for themselves. Just as calling oneself a moderate does not equate with being independent.
It is part of the human experience to want to be part of a group that you agree with, to share ideas and experiences.
Some people are so proud to call themselves an "independent" And they feel somehow set apart from what they perceive as the common drones!
Also, people who agree with some conservative issues and then some liberal are not, by definition moderate either. I've know fiscal conservatives and social liberals who are quite militant in their beliefs on both sides.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:16 PM

210 posts, read 173,059 times
"neo-cons are also religious nuts....(ie SOUTHERN BAPTIST democtrats)"

yep, yep. many ppl today dont know this little secret that the south was a democratic STRONGHOLD not too long ago. they even had a name for them... the solid south dixiecrats !

Old 06-15-2010, 12:25 PM

137 posts, read 203,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
I believe in what I believe, and I don't see the need to seek out a political party which fits my stance on the issues.

Seems to me, when somebody decides they're going to be "conservative" or "liberal" they suddenly take leave of all their common sense and have to check with their political party to know what to think about anything. Then they come up with some crazy arguments to turn even the most apolitical debates into a us-vs-them scenario.

For instance, today I visited a city-owned recreation center. It had a big pool, several floors for playing various sports, a big cardio and decent weight room. It was explained to me that these rec centers are part of a push for healthier lifestyles and that they have to compete against private health clubs and turn a profit despite being publicly-owned.

It occured to me that a conservative would probably take about 3 seconds to find a justification for saying the rec center was an expansion of government and an unwelcome intrusion into the private lives of citizens. While a liberal would probably cheer, to their dying breath, the rec center's ideal even if visitation dropped to 1 person every week and it started loosing millions of dollars.

When I said as much, my hosts very politely informed me that that was totally f--king crazy, and I have to say, I agree completely.
What makes you think those on the extreme sides aren't thinking for themselves? It seems to me, if we find that the majority of our views and opinions tend to fall within a certain party, why wouldn't we call ourselves, dem/rep/liberal/conservative? It doesn't mean people can stray from those parties on certain subjects. Just because you call yourself a moderate doesn't make you better or even different.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Are you blaming the OP for that thread going out of control? (I only read a few posts and decided not to participate.)

Old 06-15-2010, 01:11 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
neo-cons are former dems.....
Thanks for reinforcing my beliefs about a typical republican.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:29 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Are you blaming the OP for that thread going out of control? (I only read a few posts and decided not to participate.)
Of course not. I thought my follow-up post made it clear who I blame.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:37 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,548,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theberserkergang View Post
What makes you think those on the extreme sides aren't thinking for themselves? It seems to me, if we find that the majority of our views and opinions tend to fall within a certain party, why wouldn't we call ourselves, dem/rep/liberal/conservative? It doesn't mean people can stray from those parties on certain subjects. Just because you call yourself a moderate doesn't make you better or even different.
I don't think that anybody is trying to make the claim that they are somehow "better" then people who vote straight party line, instead only that they are more inclined to break ranks with their party of choice when a certain issue is at odds with their beliefs. However, I do think that there may be some justification for the idea that moderates are more flexible in their thought process.

Quote:
From WorkingClassHero:
dick cheney is a globalist....just like bush1,clinton, bush2, and obama....think NWO....see the nafta highway
I'm right there with you on that one brother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies