Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 08:20 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
We ALL know what the answer is.
The answer is "NO".

If one million al Gore types gave 60% of all their wealth to buy carbon offset credits each year, it would not amount to a thing, except make the carbon traders on Wall Street wealthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 08:29 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
The answer is "NO".

If one million al Gore types gave 60% of all their wealth to buy carbon offset credits each year, it would not amount to a thing, except make the carbon traders on Wall Street wealthy.

SHHHH!!!!!!

I am TRYING to be a Carbont Trader!!!!!

Old 06-16-2010, 12:38 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
You've probably generated more "carbon pollution" traveling between "Boston via Atlanta, London, Iceland, and Mexico" than I have in my entire life. Should I give you the address to send the check now, or do you want to hit a few more countries, first?

The wackiness of this thread is very illustrative of just how wacky the whole "carbon credit" nonsense is...

The application I cited to start the thread is interesting, and I may install it after they get it back in the Market, but not so I can send them money. I'm as interested as anybody in using less fuel and otherwise conserving energy, but the primary reason (note to greenies: not the ONLY reason) is to save money. Why would I go to the trouble of tailoring my lifestyle to save money, just to turn around and send what I saved to someone else? I already make regular charitable contributions to organizations that I feel are worthy - I'm not about to drop dollars into some ethereal "green hole" to be spent as the receivers of that money see fit.
Actually, on my program in Iceland (which was specifically studying climate change and renewable energy technology), some of the more engineery people involved tracked our carbon emissions based on the round trip flight. Even adding that on for the year, my carbon footprint was still significantly less than the average American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies