Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 11:22 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times

Advertisements

How many sculptors in the world can carve a 28 foot statue out of marble? Not many and Lei Yixin can. He won the contract based on artistic ability and vision. The same kind of controversy took place over the Vietnam Memorial and today even the detractors admit that it's a very moving and fitting memorial. The 'Stone of Hope' will turn out to have the same emotional impact and the controversy of who carved it will fall by the way side. Art should never be politicized---let the best man/woman win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 11:27 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I think its a travesty. Yes, we are a global economy these days. But there should always be some things that remain uniquely American. Memorials to our leaders, and the creation thereof, should be performed by our own people for our own people. It's disappointing that the black caucus who arranged all of this caved to financial desperation in an attempt to get the memorial completed sooner rather than later. Very disappointing.
that pretty well sums up my thoughts on the matter as well.

and i am most definitely bothered by virtually everything being imported. we don't even make our own underwear in the US anymore for cryin' out loud.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:07 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Default America Should Be Ashamed: MLK Jr. Memorial Was Carved In Communist China

Is there nothing sacred anymore? Is there a valid reason why the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial was carved in Communist China? This should anger every breathing American, no matter where they come from or what ideology they embrace.

Personally, I could care less if King's children are OK with this. As an American, I take complete exception with the notion that this monument could not have been quarried and carved right here in the USA.

This makes me very, very angry.

Martin Luther King memorial made in China - Telegraph

Old 08-23-2011, 05:19 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
I have dream. Dream all childrens round world hold hands, dance inna circle, sing praise Doctah King anna Chayman Mao. Make big party. Pretty soon, China have alla America money anyway. Then we tell you what do, what think.

No judge people onna color skin. Judge by content of wallet.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:19 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
That is what happens when you go with the lowest bid. Good economics but very bad taste and worse karma.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:22 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
I have mixed feelings about that. But, by all news accounts, the people visiting it yesterday at its opening were very moved and it wasn't an issue.

And what does the system of government have to do with the sculptor? Plus, we have a huge French-made statue in NYC that's come to symbolize our country.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:27 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
I have mixed feelings about that. But, by all news accounts, the people visiting it yesterday at its opening were very moved and it wasn't an issue.

And what does the system of government have to do with the sculptor? Plus, we have a huge French-made statue in NYC that's come to symbolize our country.
The Statue of Liberty was a gift. Who complains about a gift, especially when it's statue that represents the values and ideals that our nation was founded on? Faulty comparison in my view.

It's the principle of the matter. Does that escape you?

Old 08-23-2011, 05:50 AM

912 posts, read 1,332,011 times
Quote:
The Statue of Liberty was a gift. Who complains about a gift, especially when it's statue that represents the values and ideals that our nation was founded on? Faulty comparison in my view.

It's the principle of the matter. Does that escape you?
Not to me .I could care less if the Statue of Liberty was a gift:I could live with out.The statute has become a target for terrorists who hate America .The SOL is a symbol all it's own,all negative. As for the MLK statute it should have been made in america ,not China that is an insult.I guess they figure that like everything else that's made in china these days why should anyone care ?

Old 08-23-2011, 05:52 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Default made in China...be so ashamed

Whose house is this?

Mao Xmas ornament from whitehouse tree

Empire state bldg lights up red and yellow to celebrate the 60th anniv of communist china

Obama czar quotes Mao as one of her role models

Whitehouse and the mdeia kept the meeting with the Dali low profile at China's request

Wasn't there some computer hacking attributed to China?

Seems fitting and just the carving be done in China where much of our debt markers are held and the current admin turns a blind eye to China's influence here at home.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:16 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,799,701 times
Quote:
Is there nothing sacred anymore? Is there a valid reason why the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial was carved in Communist China? This should anger every breathing American, no matter where they come from or what ideology they embrace.

Personally, I could care less if King's children are OK with this. As an American, I take complete exception with the notion that this monument could not have been quarried and carved right here in the USA.

This makes me very, very angry.

Martin Luther King memorial made in China - Telegraph
Uhhh, time to brush up on some world history because China is no longer a communist country in terms of a centralized, planned economy as in the model of Stalin's Soviet Union.

Even Wikipedia explains it:
"Following Mao's death and the end of the Cultural Revolution, Deng Xiaoping and the new Chinese leadership began to reform the economy and move to a more market-oriented mixed economy under one-party rule. Collectivization of the agriculture was dismantled and farmlands were privatized to increase productivity. In 1978, China and Japan had normalized diplomatic relations and China had decided to borrow money from Japan in soft loans. Since 1978, Japan has been China's No. 1 foreign donor. China's economy is mainly characterised as a market economy based on private property ownership[148][149] and is one of the leading examples of state capitalism."

"Market economy" sounds eerily familiar, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies