Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did the Seattle girl who got punched by the cop deserve it?
Yes 131 79.88%
No 33 20.12%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 01:26 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,207,602 times

Advertisements

I agree that the girls were unruly and rebellious....quite common among teens...many don't respect authority. This won't go far to help.

I also agree that the cop appeared inexperienced and intimidated. He also appeared not to have the physical ability to restrain either of the two girls. While I agree 100% that assaulting a police officer is a definite no-no, I don't believe this scenario warranted a punch in the face. In fact, I can't think of any scenario where it would be appropriate for a police officer to punch someone in the face. Push her roughly up against the car and restrain her arms? Yes. Mace or taser her to subdue her? Yes. But I don't believe it's at all appropriate for a police officer to strike a citizen with their hands. Yes, the girls did that....but shouldn't we hold our law enforcement to a higher standard than we would some rebellious teens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 01:32 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,342,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
All of this equates to the fact that this officer should have handled the situation differently. I was crystal clear that he lacked the effective amount of "authority" in his voice, body language and actions.

And all too often we have an inexperienced officer in similar situations who pull out thier guns and start killing people. That is the result of improperly trained police officers on our streets.

Too many people look at a scenario such as this (young Black kids/White officer/excessive force) and they do not interject themselves (or their loved ones) into the situation. This is not only about White cop vs Black folk - it could be a scenario with your White son or daughter who is a college student and Black cop.

I firmly believe in law and order but a police officer is held to higher standard than the average citizen and should act accordingly so that "Excessive Force" isn't needlessly turned into "Deadly Force".

What do you suppose would have happened if:

Officer: Stop right there- you're jay walking

Offender: Yes, sir

Officer: I'm issuing you a citation

Offender: I disagree, I'll see you in court

It could have been a really simple situation- don't you think? Instead the girl goes off on a tirade.... and well....you saw where that got her.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:38 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I agree that the girls were unruly and rebellious....quite common among teens...many don't respect authority. This won't go far to help.

I also agree that the cop appeared inexperienced and intimidated. He also appeared not to have the physical ability to restrain either of the two girls. While I agree 100% that assaulting a police officer is a definite no-no, I don't believe this scenario warranted a punch in the face. In fact, I can't think of any scenario where it would be appropriate for a police officer to punch someone in the face. Push her roughly up against the car and restrain her arms? Yes. Mace or taser her to subdue her? Yes. But I don't believe it's at all appropriate for a police officer to strike a citizen with their hands. Yes, the girls did that....but shouldn't we hold our law enforcement to a higher standard than we would some rebellious teens?
The girl that shoved him was about his size. You ask him to use restraint and also say he doesn't have the physical ability to restrain them. I think the punch he threw was less force than mace or a taser. Mace is nasty and effects the victim for hours, plus anyone else in the vicinity. He was surrounded by people and a little incident can quickly escalate. These guys make like $12/hr around here, yet we expect them to react perfectly to every incident and put up with the crap that they do. If we are going to hold them to a higher standard like you suggest, we should also pay them a higher salary. You get what you pay for. I'm a flaming liberal willing to give this cop a break. He did just fine, except that he should have talked more to try to quell the situation. I'm sure he'll learn from it, if he doesn't find a better job first.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:40 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,342,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
All I saw was a young lady trying to defend herself against an overzealous PIG.

Does a cop have the legal right to stop someone for a violation of law? Yes.

Does the offender have the legal right to refuse to comply with the officer's lawful orders? No.

Does the offender have the right to shove the cop and obstruct the execution of his duty? No.

None of this would have ever happened if the stupid women had just shut up and followed his orders. Giving the cops s*it never gets you anywhere and anyone who thinks differently is a complete moron. If you disagree you take it to court. End of story.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:41 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,524,876 times
People who assault cops aren't very smart. Cops are armed and can end you in full legality if they feel their lives are threatened. Assaulting cops is kinda the equivalent of playing in traffic. It's rutheless and dumb.

That said, that cop could've had handle this better. Punching a girl in the face because you got shoved is cowardly for any man, even moreso when you are a cop and can request backup or use other means at your disposal.

Dumb kids, dumb cop, stupidity all around. I try not to take position for either sides when I see things like these. I'm sure the great people involved in this will have a nice party in court.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:45 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucasLongLostChin View Post

That said, that cop could've had handle this better. Punching a girl in the face because you got shoved is cowardly for any man, even moreso when you are a cop and can request backup or use other means at your disposal.
Back up was already called,what other means could he have used from the evidence on the video?

Old 06-15-2010, 01:58 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
Did anybody else notice the voice yelling right before the officer hit her? I know what I think the person yells. Anybody else? Think that affected the cop in that split second?

It's at 0:29 between the time she shoves him and he punches her.

YouTube - Seattle Police Confrontation - komonews.com!

Old 06-15-2010, 02:01 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
I can't make it out...

But I will say this,the guy in the blue shirt was very smart to pull the girl in the pink away....

And watching it again,BOTH girls assaulted the police officer...

Old 06-15-2010, 02:14 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,524,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Back up was already called,what other means could he have used from the evidence on the video?
When you are a grown man, usually restraining a female teenager (or even a couple) is not very hard.

There's always mace, which looks better than a man punching a tween.

And do we see that backup, did he wait for it?

Anyway...I'm already bored with this. So just pretend that I'm wrong and you're right and we won't have to furhter discuss this.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:18 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,569,482 times
LOL. That girl got what she deserved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies