Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 01:20 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,848,950 times

Advertisements

Do you feel that it is more acurate to call Americans (when referring to race): Black Americans, White Americans, etc. OR African-American, European-American, Asian-American, Latin-American, etc.?

What do they call the Black Italians, the Black French, the Black English, the White Africans, the Chinese Indians, or the Indian Australians, for example? Or is there a racial identifier at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 01:35 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,211,281 times
They don't, because they aren't wrapped up w/these hypersensitive politically correct stupidities like our country is.

Black, white, oriental etc gets the point across, isn't derogatorty, short n sweet - basically, it made sense. That's probably why our country didn't like it.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:36 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Just say black Americans, white Americans, Asian Americans, etc.

I'm a white American. I am not and English/German/Norwegian/Welsh/Slavic American.

Enough of this "custom-fit names for every whim" nonsense.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:40 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Can you tell an American when you see one, no matter what color? Why not "black person" and "white person"?

When Ferguson Jenkins was pitching his way into the Baseball Hall of Fame, did anybody call him an "African-Canadian" or a "Black Canadian"? What would have been the correct designation? Did the Cubs have four African Americans and an African Canadian, or did they have five black players?

Old 06-15-2010, 01:57 PM

^^ I don't care what they're called, or what I'm called. I don't need a special name. I just am who and what I am.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:09 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Identifying people by race is a process that is long overdue for the junk pile. Why do we need to refer to race at all when talking about Americans or citizens of any nationality in general conversation? This practice only creates schisms in a society.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:29 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,673,142 times
I find it hard to care about this sort of thing. I call myself black because it's a short word and I really don't care about making a statement. My race just isn't something on my mind during my day to day life. That said, I have no problem with referring to individuals anyway they prefer, just don't get mad if I use the easiest term first. So if I call you black, don't get mad if you'd prefer "Caribbean American" - just tell me so without any drama. But I also must say, people who actually get all worked up and angry about how people prefer to refer to themselves need to get a life.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:38 PM

254 posts, read 414,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Identifying people by race is a process that is long overdue for the junk pile. Why do we need to refer to race at all when talking about Americans or citizens of any nationality in general conversation? This practice only creates schisms in a society.

Sometimes in general conversation it comes up, it doesn't have to be an issue.
Like, "Hey, what does that girl you're looking for look like, I'll try to find her."

It would be pretty weird to describe her while purposely leaving out her
Asian nationality because you thought it was racist to mention it.

No one would know they were looking for an Asian girl.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I find it hard to care about this sort of thing. I call myself black because it's a short word and I really don't care about making a statement. My race just isn't something on my mind during my day to day life. That said, I have no problem with referring to individuals anyway they prefer, just don't get mad if I use the easiest term first. So if I call you black, don't get mad if you'd prefer "Caribbean American" - just tell me so without any drama. But I also must say, people who actually get all worked up and angry about how people prefer to refer to themselves need to get a life.
That's pretty much how I see it.

I refer to black people as black people - not in any diminutive or derogatory way. Say, "That tall black lady over there," is little more than a way to identify somebody.

On the other hand, if I know somebody prefers to be known as African-American, I'll do my best.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:59 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,211,281 times
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Disagree. It only creates schisms when people think different = bad.

There are various reasons for it, and OR just mentioned one. Also, although sadly this is fading more with each passing year, people traditionally have also often taken pride in their heritage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies