Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 11:26 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times

Advertisements

I've gone in both directions. I am MUCH more socially liberal than I once was, who give a rats ass what people do to themselves or with who? And nobody's got a lock on moral superiority anyway...everyone sucks.

I've also become much more fiscally conservative. I've always been that way but going through my own personal finance dramas over the years has taught me many lessons and I just can't see how spending money the way we do helps anything. In fact, it comes full circle back to the social part, and how someone always thinks they know best for other people and refuse to let them stand or fall on their own merits. Sickening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 11:29 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
I know a lot of people who were ultra-liberal until they got their first real job. Now most of them are still socially liberal but fiscally conservative.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:56 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,075,809 times
Started well right of center. Ended up left of center on social issues at least.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:03 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Specifically, I've become more Libertarian with conservative leanings as I learned about things. I take what Rush and gang say with a grain of salt, they are all neo-cons to me, I'm a proud Ron Paul supporter.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:13 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
I used to be the classic liberal- nay -I was loudly Marxist.

Then over the course of a few months I had an epiphany. I was yelled at for the upteenth time by one of those surley NYC subway token (yes I am dating myself) clerks. I realized he could get away with it because firing him was nearly impossible. Then I was visiting East Berlin (dating myself again). The exact same thing happened several times by their U-Bahn (subway) clerks. Well, nobody was ever fired in such a society. All of sudden I realized what they meant by less government, incentive, etc.

The rest is history although I have remained a registered Independent and tend towards the libertarian side of things.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:13 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,766,608 times
[quote=EinsteinsGhost;14641990]Nice to see that Rush Limbaugh can be used as a measuring stick for conservatism.

Well,Limbaugh made me think about issues more than just..
Using a bleeding heart/Emotional approach.
Thats why i mentioned it,thats was when i started leaning right.
As for labels most of us can call ourselves Lib or Con.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:21 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,419 times
I used to be a pretty hard core lib when I was younger, I'm still not a Limbaugh or Beck listener though. i really cannot stand them either. I would really like a political party for the people in the middle so the whackjobs on the far left and far right can have their own parties.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:22 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,996,195 times
I'm an exception to the rule. I've become more liberal with age.

I have a lot of conservative friends and family members who are rational, and willing to have thoughtful debates, but they are also the exception to the rule. Most conservatives on C-D and other sites are a turn off.

I voted for Bush in 2000 due to my own economic self interest, and I regret it to this day.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:23 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,465,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
I was somewhat liberal in my early 20's and still am on a few issues.
I learned more about the issues.started listening to Rush Limbaugh.
Would like to hear from Liberals who changed views and why?
Or even if you used to be conservative!
You aren't going to learn anything listening to Rush, I'd recommend reading as much as you can. Right wing blogs don't count as reading either.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:26 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Well,Limbaugh made me think about issues more than just.. Using a bleeding heart/Emotional approach.
I can see that, along with an utter disregard for logic. Which basically meant, the emotional approach won. I would never associate myself with Rush Limbaugh conservatives, that is a guarantee. It is largely because rationality is fundamental to my beliefs. And I see that more now than ever. Some of us are just wired differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies