Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 09:25 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There's another thread on this and it's not professorial at all..more like middle school level.
I thought the speech was OK, but apparetly it was too much for TRUEGRITT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 09:31 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,995,056 times
I wish his speech contained more details. Those of us who read a newspaper everyday already knew just about everything he said. Hard to believe that this was actually too difficult for most Americans.

That said, actions speak louder than words, and yesterday was a big step in the right direction.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:32 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I just don't get it. Who comes up with this crap? The guy is an orator by nature. He has the gift of gab. How can you NOT hear his words and not understand them? It's one thing to not recognize the political undertones in his words. That takes a little more intelligence and practice. But its another thing to suggest that the people don't grasp the words themselves. This is all hogwash in my view.
Not necessarily AeroGuyDC. We have had a generation now of the "new" education model and I'm not talking just NCLB here.

Kids graduate HS and cannot read complex material. The SAT had to dumb down their tests because too many kids were getting low scores. A majority of adults, especially young adults, are functionally illiterate. You can find this information on the web, but it's buried in reports and studies.
Most are aware that the US is declining in math/science compared to other nations. Well reading comprehension is right up there too.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:34 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Not necessarily AeroGuyDC. We have had a generation now of the "new" education model and I'm not talking just NCLB here.

Kids graduate HS and cannot read. The SAT had to dumb down their tests because too many kids were getting low scores. A majority of adults, especially young adults, are functionally illiterate.
Well, you do have a point. Maybe i'm the one living in a dreamworld assuming that everyone likes to read, write, research, etc. like I do. And if not like it, at least be able to do it. lol

Old 06-17-2010, 09:35 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
The Flesch-Kincaid scoring scheme is a very elementary surface level metric, not a very reliable indicator of "intellectual" conversation. The equation is as follows:

FKRA = (0.39 x ASL) + (11.8 x ASW) - 15.59

Where,

FKRA = Flesch-Kincaid Reading Age

ASL = Average Sentence Length (i.e., the number of words divided by the number of sentences)

ASW = Average number of Syllable per Word (i.e., the number of syllables divided by the number of words)

As you can see, it relies on only two surface level variables. If one wrote gobbledeegook, as long as the # of syllables per word were high or sentence length was long, it would show up as having a high FK score. Run-on sentences, for example, would bias the value.

I'm planning on running a few of Obama's and Bush's speeches through Coh-Metrix, developed by U. Memphis's Graessar, McNamara, et al. who have been principle in the study of cohesion and coherence of student writing. Our research group has published workshop and main conference papers using this tool also. It takes into account not only this unreliable metric, but also taxonomy depth of nouns/verbs, LSA scores illustrating cohesion between paragraphs (how far the speaker is going off topic), etc. Unfortunately, their site appears to be down right now, but it's publicly available at: http://cohmetrix.memphis.edu/

Bookmark this thread for my initial findings.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:37 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
Of coarse his "target audience" would be his supporters.

Language guru: Obama speech too 'professorial' for his target audience

"President Obama's speech on the gulf oil disaster may have gone over the heads of many in his audience, according to an analysis of the 18-minute talk released Wednesday."
(with a red-neck twang)
yea, whaaat did he say? somtin bout earl, he said earl was in da gulf! when did earl godown thar. dog gone it, who gave earl da keys to da truck? It didn't have no oil in it! Oh, oil, dats whaaat that Bama guy said not earl. ha ha, you though he said earl. Where's earl? I'll bet Earls looking for an ass to kick!

Thats what Obama thinks he's dealing with.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:42 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Quote:
I just don't get it. Who comes up with this crap? The guy is an orator by nature. He has the gift of gab. How can you NOT hear his words and not understand them? It's one thing to not recognize the political undertones in his words. That takes a little more intelligence and practice. But its another thing to suggest that the people don't grasp the words themselves. This is all hogwash in my view.

Your pretty nice, i have another word for it and the word is not HOGWASH, but rather something, i cannot repeat!

Old 06-17-2010, 09:53 AM

4,458 posts, read 4,190,417 times
Quote:
Well again, you have to consider who his "target audience" is...

Old 06-17-2010, 09:57 AM

4,458 posts, read 4,190,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I thought the speech was OK, but apparetly it was too much for TRUEGRITT.
I see you are hitting the libations again, but thanks for thinking about me.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:02 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
The SAT had to dumb down their tests because too many kids were getting low scores.
I wonder how many people are even aware of that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies