Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2010, 07:31 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,497,625 times

Advertisements

Wow, after reading this thread, I bet every Republican must own a pair of sturdy corporate kneepads with a matching drool bib.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 07:36 PM

22,154 posts, read 19,397,646 times
Well Barton isn't the only one Republican viewed this as a "shakedown", even though he was forced to apologize for it, by the GOP brass, the Republican Study Committee, which is a group of conservative Republicans (which makes up about 2/3 of House Republicans) yesterday used the 'shakedown' term and took exception to the $20 billion escrow fund. Simply amazing

Old 06-17-2010, 07:37 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,442,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
That would be how a lefty looks at the bs this president is doing to the country. Let me ask you - just what the hell is Eric Holder doing in Louisiana?

And if Obama and Co. destroy BP, where do you think the money is going to come from to clean up the mess?
What a riot. You've got to be joking man; if anybody ruins BP it will be BP.

You guys are a laugh a minute.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Wow, after reading this thread, I bet every Republican must own a pair of sturdy corporate kneepads with a matching drool bib.
Think about what they are "upset" about: BP putting money into an escrow to help Americans after they decimated our gulf coast via short cuts and greedy business practices.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:41 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,023,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
#1 - BP did everything (pre-explosion) that the government allowed them to do. Why isn't the government financially responsible?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The Dems have to..they have to yell loud and clear and it has to be all, 100% BP's fault. No one in the government did anything wrong..got it ?

I also believe that BP is getting an unfair deal here...they did what the government allowed them to do. 50-50 blame.
Wait, now you two are advocating big bad gubmint regulation?

I thought that if you freed the market it would regulate itself?

Old 06-17-2010, 07:53 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,806,587 times
While the government is regulating Big Business... just who is regulating Big Government? I am find it stupefying that when government says that a government department is too cozy with Big Oil... they left out the OTHER thousands of government departments that are too cozy with Big Agriculture, Big Telecoms, Big Finance, Big Nonprofits, Big EVERYTHING... what? What is government going to do about any of that sheet... nothing.. they are so full of deflect and do jack... oh look we are going after Big Oil but the game hasn't change one iota... same sheet different day with the government... When Obama says he is going to "change" and does jack for the umpteenth time... Obama is made to look like a liar like past presidents... he is starting to sorely disappoint...

Old 06-17-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
While the government is regulating Big Business...
Nice try at at deflection, but it's Big Oil who is DESTROYING the gulf coast, the ecosystem and the economy that's tied to it.

You should start a thread on your own topics rather than try and hijack this to protect your corporate masters.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:09 PM

45,396 posts, read 26,983,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Wait, now you two are advocating big bad gubmint regulation?

I thought that if you freed the market it would regulate itself?
No one is advocating NO regulations. Regulations should be present, but they should not interfere in normal competitive business.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:19 PM

45,396 posts, read 26,983,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I was utterly repelled by the actions of the GOP today.

Rep. Barton spoke truth to power, and his own party condemned him. I was shocked, but I shouldn't have been. They are obviously reading the polls and think they have an excellent chance come November, and will run away from anything controversial.

If the GOP is going to be so small and craven, I will have nothing to do with them come November.

I would rather put up with the thieves in the White House than the cowards in the GOP.
There are no men in the GOP. Where are the men?

The women have been standing up - Brewer & Bachman so far.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:22 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,767,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
#1 - BP did everything (pre-explosion) that the government allowed them to do. Why isn't the government financially responsible?
#2 - What Obama and his goons did is illegal by using threats to get money from BP in lieu of Congressional legislation.
#3 - Both sides in government was on the take from BP. Don't act as though BP only funded the right.
#1- I do wish for a thorough investigation, BP's practices and of the government agencies and the people involved. But then, the MMS debacle that surfaced in 2008 (?) is quite telling. As the tax payer who would be paying, if the government had to, you better start taking who you elect seriously. Make sure you're not putting people who detest government and legislations, to be the government and write legislations.

#2- You wish. If you think it is illegal, support BP and take this to the court. You just might learn a thing or two about the precedents.

#3- Hate political contributions? Then support the idea to limit, if not eliminate, political contributions by corporations. I bet you won't be up for that either, implying, you want to speak from both ends. If I'm wrong and you're honest, ask me, and I will gladly provide you sign up sheets.

Pick one: If a politician gets massive amount of contribution from a corporation, he/she will "shakedown" the business...
a) Yes
b) No
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies