Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 10:14 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,148,093 times

Advertisements

Jon Stewart strikes again or have we just not been paying attention?

Eight, count them, eight Presidents have made the promise to the American people, "American energy independence".

From Nixon who said that America would achieve this by 1980 to Bush saying we would cut back a little by 2025, to Obama in the middle of the biggest man made disaster in our nations history.

A sad reality put to humor and we have no one to blame but ourselves.

Video: An Energy-Independent Future | The Daily Show | Comedy Central
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 10:42 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,437,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Jon Stewart strikes again or have we just not been paying attention?

Eight, count them, eight Presidents have made the promise to the American people, "American energy independence".

From Nixon who said that America would achieve this by 1980 to Bush saying we would cut back a little by 2025, to Obama in the middle of the biggest man made disaster in our nations history.

A sad reality put to humor and we have no one to blame but ourselves.

Video: An Energy-Independent Future | The Daily Show | Comedy Central
I watched this when it aired and he was oh-so-correct.

Everyone of these putzes has provided us with the same old lip service, but nothing ever changes.

To Nixon's credit, he actually did accomplish something, in the form of the EPA. As an aside and interestingly, he was for medical coverage for all.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♠atizar♠ View Post
I watched this when it aired and he was oh-so-correct.

Everyone of these putzes has provided us with the same old lip service, but nothing ever changes.

To Nixon's credit, he actually did accomplish something, in the form of the EPA. As an aside and interestingly, he was for medical coverage for all.
I watched it when it first aired and thought to myself, you know I remember hearing most of these guy say this when they said it. What didn't dawn on me until watching this was that I watched all these guys say this and yet here we are.

As to Nixon, well we all know he was a commie!

to add: who ever puts together his video archive footage and research kicks friggen butt is all I got to say.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:52 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,437,052 times
Quote:
I watched it when it first aired and thought to myself, you know I remember hearing most of these guy say this when they said it. What didn't dawn on me until watching this was that I watched all these guys say this and yet here we are.

As to Nixon, well we all know he was a commie!

to add: who ever puts together his video archive footage and research kicks friggen butt is all I got to say.
That was my reaction too, to a "T". As soon as he started rolling with that segment I realized how right he was and what I had forgotten.

On putting together those segments -- I am AMAZED sometimes at how they come up with such pertinent clips which seem to come from obscurity.

They must be able to key word search a video database somehow.

And yeah, Nixon that Maoist Quaker's Sword!

Old 06-17-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♠atizar♠ View Post
That was my reaction too, to a "T". As soon as he started rolling with that segment I realized how right he was and what I had forgotten.

On putting together those segments -- I am AMAZED sometimes at how they come up with such pertinent clips which seem to come from obscurity.

They must be able to key word search a video database somehow.

And yeah, Nixon that Maoist Quaker's Sword!

What I wouldn't give to have unrestricted access to all the archived political footage that most media and press outlets have on hand. I'm thinking they must have some Zen master of "The Google" that is able to dig iron ore out of a black hole with one arm tied behind their back.

Rachel Maddow has a pretty damn good research dept. as well and did a similar thing apparently (according to the PM I just got) Bill O' has a far better research dept than he used to and I think has since stepped up his game but between these two, they are mainstream media so I kind of expect it from them.

I guess I enjoy Stewart because mankind has a history where comedy is often the only real tool to say, "The emperor has no clothes".

Didn't Nixon spend a little time over in China come to think of it? Now I know where Gump got his paddle autographed.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:28 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,218,897 times
Actually, Nixon tried desperately to control inflation after the gold window was shut down. Remember WHIP? If he had been president for a few more years, I'm sure he'd try to institute price controls and rationing on consumer goods.

Nixon, commie. Not too far off ya see.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Actually, Nixon tried desperately to control inflation after the gold window was shut down. Remember WHIP? If he had been president for a few more years, I'm sure he'd try to institute price controls and rationing on consumer goods.

Nixon, commie. Not too far off ya see.
LOL!

Fun aside, I wouldn't have a problem with a President, any President pulling a Kennedy like bold initiative on energy. (in best JFK voice) In ten years time, we will have fusion power, not because it is easy but because it is hard.

Eight Presidents have paid lip service to it, isn't it about time someone actually did something substantial to achieve it?

Old 06-18-2010, 02:19 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,640,157 times
Quote:
LOL!

Fun aside, I wouldn't have a problem with a President, any President pulling a Kennedy like bold initiative on energy. (in best JFK voice) In ten years time, we will have fusion power, not because it is easy but because it is hard.

Eight Presidents have paid lip service to it, isn't it about time someone actually did something substantial to achieve it?
I think a couple of questions that all of us should ask ourselves are:

Could it just be that the magnitude of the problem that is our oil dependence has never matched the volume of all the rhetoric?

Could it just be that oil's advantages still outweigh its disadvantages by a wide margin?

I suggest that in today's political climate, it is becoming increasingly difficult to maintain a rational "big-picture" perspective.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:49 PM

4,790 posts, read 5,879,196 times
The first oil embargo should have awakened people from the half slumber, but the automakers made bigger cars after that. So many things are made from petroleum products, and I am doing my part by purchasing as little if it as possible. I love small cars, and energy saving larger vehicles. I am seeing too many smog belching junkmos lately. Do these fools ever clean their filtration devices ?

Old 06-18-2010, 02:56 PM

27,625 posts, read 21,029,812 times
Carter installed solar panels on the White House roof...Corporate a$$ kissing Reagan tore them down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies