Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 11:13 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
Flat tax would be fine, if "essentials" are excluded for those who are living at a very low income level. . . .and as that cannot be accuratly determined, a progressive tax is more proper, and a still tax on "luxury" items will help to "balance" the wealthy "cheaters". . .(and I've worked for enough of them to KNOW that those who don't "cheat" are the exceptions, not the rule)
How do they "cheat"???

Why can't unwealthy people do the same??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 11:18 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Instead of 47% of people not paying Federal taxes and super rich people hiding their money, would a flat tax be better? I'm not sure about the percentage I'm guessing 15 to 20% on anything we buy, but is it possible to include local and state taxes as well in that 15 to 20%. Rich people buy more expensive cars so obviously they would pay more taxes than the poor.
actually the fair tax would be better

Americans For Fair Taxation: Americans For Fair Taxation

Old 06-21-2010, 11:20 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Last year BEFORE I bought this rig my deprecation credits were about $230,000.

Just because you don't know the rules I should be punished??

Read the tax code!!!!
lol It's not about you or me. I don't know where you got that from.

I don't know how to be more specific but I'll try.
If the people hired to know the tax laws inside and out don't know the tax laws themselves and because they don't know them, they therefore apply the laws unevenly. That means the system is unfair.

I think it is idiotic to have a law that encourages a business to purchase something they don't need. It would be foolish for a business to ignore any loopholes or tax law benefits. Putting in artificial measures in the short run undermines the free market system and leads to higher costs and inefficiency in the long run way too often.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
lol It's not about you or me. I don't know where you got that from.

I don't know how to be more specific but I'll try.
If the people hired to know the tax laws inside and out don't know the tax laws themselves and because they don't know them, they therefore apply the laws unevenly. That means the system is unfair.

I think it is idiotic to have a law that encourages a business to purchase something they don't need. It would be foolish for a business to ignore any loopholes or tax law benefits. Putting in artificial measures in the short run undermines the free market system and leads to higher costs and inefficiency in the long run way too often.
It makes jobs.

If you ever get a chance, take an economic class. I think you would enjoy it.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
That is exactly what it does.

Then it keeps the money moving.
Subsidizing something does not make it cheaper it makes it more expensive in the long run. It allows weaker, less inefficient companies to survive.
But then again the oil companies are doing poorly maybe they need more of a boost.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Subsidizing something does not make it cheaper it makes it more expensive in the long run. It allows weaker, less inefficient companies to survive.
But then again the oil companies are doing poorly maybe they need more of a boost.
Maybe...maybe not.

Still those companies buy things and hire people.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
It makes jobs.

If you ever get a chance, take an economic class. I think you would enjoy it.
did I hurt your feelings having to explain the IRS tax law thing again?
or was it the comment about oil needing tax breaks lol

I'll repeat myself, subsidizing something makes it costlier in the long run. You'd learn that BEFORE taking one day of an economics class if you were paying attention to the rising cost of that class. Couldn't be because of the government subsidized loans could it?

What makes your field so special YOU need propping up while other fields don't?
If most of the IRS is gone because of a flat or fair tax that itself puts more money in everyones pocket not just yours.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
did I hurt your feelings having to explain the IRS tax law thing again?
or was it the comment about oil needing tax breaks lol

I'll repeat myself, subsidizing something makes it costlier in the long run. You'd learn that BEFORE taking one day of an economics class if you were paying attention to the rising cost of that class. Couldn't be because of the government subsidized loans could it?

What makes your field so special YOU need propping up while other fields don't?
If most of the IRS is gone because of a flat or fair tax that itself puts more money in everyones pocket not just yours.
Whoa....My field??? I drill water wells not oil wells.

I file a schedule C, just like I posted a few pages back.

Just like all other sole proprietor businesses.

Just how am I subsidized??? With my own money???

I always pay cash.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:06 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I think the depreciation credits are only helpful to offset your profits so you get less taxes (or maybe move into a different tax bracket)... I am not sure how else it would be helpful... I do like the flat tax idea with a flat credit (for needed expenditures of typical middle income household) for everyone...
It is not just to offset expenses. If businesses could not deduct the cost of their employee's wages, for example, the government would be taxing both the business and the employee for the same amount that was paid. As an employer, I would have no choice but to increase the price of my services or products by the amount of extra taxes I would be required to pay without those deductions. It is also double taxation since the employee also has to pay taxes on those same wages.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Whoa....My field??? I drill water wells not oil wells.

I file a schedule C, just like I posted a few pages back.

Just like all other sole proprietor businesses.

Just how am I subsidized??? With my own money???

I always pay cash.
By getting the big tax break you are getting subsidized by the government while other businesses are not. The point I was trying to make is why help your business with a tax break like that and not others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies