Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 10:49 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,257,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
My question is why? Why have a moratorium on deep water drilling at all? I could see a reason for it if we have had a series of disasters, and something looks to be going very badly, but this accident was a solitary event. Ford Motor Co. does not do a recall if one F150 truck malfunctioned over a 40 year period of time.

When is the last time we had an accident like the one with BP; where the rig exploded in the gulf of Mexico, and the safety measures did not function? Forty years ago, fifty, or maybe never?
The Mexicans had one of those in 1969 in the Gulf and nobody even knew about it. Forty years ago and the whole Gulf had recovered although theirs did hit the Texas coast. All the bad news about this one and the decades it would take to recover must not be real true. Now we have to understand that the Mexicans went about cleaning it up before it got out of hand and our government refused to get involved in the clean up operations for way too long. Now they just keep getting in the way which seems very foolish to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
You can bet that all those "new wells", that have been going thru the slow and ponderous red tape to get permission to drill, will now be shelved for years, because the companies that were lining up to drill them are packing their bags and scraping any plans for drilling in US territorial waters. It will be years before they return. Thanks to Barack "Knee-Jerk" 0bama.
I don't see many supporters of Prince Barack admitting that that declaration of moratorium was the stupidest thing he has done. When there is nobody with the equipment to drill in deep water around maybe they will see how stupid it was, but he and Rahm (never let a good crisis go to waste) Emanuel will never admit the mistake. If this is not using a good crisis to destroy an industry so the government can take it over, I sure don't know what it is.

Anyway, Barack"I am the law" Obama has done more damage here than he will ever know or admit.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:51 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,091,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
The Mexicans had one of those in 1969 in the Gulf and nobody even knew about it. Forty years ago and the whole Gulf had recovered although theirs did hit the Texas coast. All the bad news about this one and the decades it would take to recover must not be real true. Now we have to understand that the Mexicans went about cleaning it up before it got out of hand and our government refused to get involved in the clean up operations for way too long. Now they just keep getting in the way which seems very foolish to me.
First of all, in '69 it was a shallow water drilling operation. Second of all your forty year claim is bunk and has been shown as false. PolitiFact Georgia | Johnson says last major drilling spill was in 1969

Third, the last Gulf of Mexico spill was HUGE. And it wasn't in '69. Try 1980. Add 140 MILLION barrels of oil on a what is now considered a shallow water drilling operation (2 miles deep). And to that the fact that it flowed for 1 year in the the Gulf.

What happened in that spill set the industry standard for safe drilling practices at that time at what rules today for shallow water platforms.

And the worst news yet...the Independence a DEEPER WATER platform @ 7,900+ ft. is supposedly in worse shape than the Horizon and pumps Nat. Gas. As well as the Atlantis which is another BP platform that is operating at sub-standard safety/equipment levels since 2007.

And yet...people want it to be business as usual. Sad really.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
First of all, in '69 it was a shallow water drilling operation. Second of all your forty year claim is bunk and has been shown as false. PolitiFact Georgia | Johnson says last major drilling spill was in 1969

Third, the last Gulf of Mexico spill was HUGE. And it wasn't in '69. Try 1980. Add 140 MILLION barrels of oil on a what is now considered a shallow water drilling operation (2 miles deep). And to that the fact that it flowed for 1 year in the the Gulf.

What happened in that spill set the industry standard for safe drilling practices at that time at what rules today for shallow water platforms.

And the worst news yet...the Independence a DEEPER WATER platform @ 7,900+ ft. is supposedly in worse shape than the Horizon and pumps Nat. Gas. As well as the Atlantis which is another BP platform that is operating at sub-standard safety/equipment levels since 2007.

And yet...people want it to be business as usual. Sad really.
I was concerned about your math when you went off about 40 years ago since 1969 was 41 years ago. However, you wanted to use 1980 as the last one.

Ok, now tell me what happened to the Gulf with those two spills being only 11 years apart and people have been carrying on about decades to get over this one. I thought all that was purely political Pelosi when if first started and then learned about these two spills.

The only thing I can see wrong with this whole thing is that people worked very hard to clean the water after those other spills but this time the government failed to do anything short of holding others back from doing the clean up. Why is that? Why good old "I am the law" needs this crisis for his own good in November. It took a long time but he finally found a crisis he could prolong without affecting the whole nation, just a part of it. I wonder if he is going to try to feed all that oil to the people along the gulf.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:08 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,412,059 times
Zero is such a joke....

msnbc.com U.S. & World News - Do you support Arizona's tough new law on illegal immigration? (http://world-news.newsvine.com/_question/2010/05/12/4274124-do-you-support-arizonas-tough-new-law-on-illegal-immigration - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies