U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-21-2010, 04:03 PM
 
6,950 posts, read 5,246,980 times
Reputation: 2752

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Lets see well first they have the phone if they let them have the phone then OH WELL school your not winning the case.
"If they let them"?? You're kidding, right? How do you stop them? Search every student as they enter school? Confiscate a $200 cell phone and then be responsible for its safety? Try that times 2000 students! And then try dealing with the barrage of parent complaints that will certainly follow.

So, I'm waiting - how would YOU keep cell phones out of schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-21-2010, 05:16 PM
 
Location: California
29,661 posts, read 32,101,496 times
Reputation: 24811
The article lacks details but if I had to guess it would be situations where someone was caught outside of school by other means (either sexting or bullying) and once an issue is made of THAT then the school could follow up with their own punishment. Kind of like when sunday school teachers get fired when people find out they have appeared in x-rated movies. It's setting standards of behavior then holding people to them off and on the job/school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2010, 05:18 PM
 
1,041 posts, read 1,268,718 times
Reputation: 762
The religious right will be confused about this.

Do you support this measure to stop teens from having nasty nasty sex or cry that the govt is over reaching?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2010, 07:05 PM
 
Location: Jonquil City (aka Smyrna) Georgia- by Atlanta
16,248 posts, read 20,681,212 times
Reputation: 3587
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
If student 'sexting' disrupts the classroom in any way - even if the message was sent/received during non-school hours - the school can rightfully take action against the students involved.
No they cannot. What happens outside the school is none of their business. If something happens outside the school, how is it going to "disrupt" class? That is non sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2010, 07:08 PM
 
Location: Jonquil City (aka Smyrna) Georgia- by Atlanta
16,248 posts, read 20,681,212 times
Reputation: 3587
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
"If they let them"?? You're kidding, right? How do you stop them? Search every student as they enter school? Confiscate a $200 cell phone and then be responsible for its safety? Try that times 2000 students! And then try dealing with the barrage of parent complaints that will certainly follow.

So, I'm waiting - how would YOU keep cell phones out of schools?
I would not keep them out of schools. You can bring your phone to school. By 0800 it is to be OFF and in your LOCKER until the end of the school day. If you get caught in class with it, the first time is a 3 day suspension. Anything after that will add more time. Oh, and each classroom will be equipped with a small can of water so the class can see what happens when a cell phone gets "dunked". That is how I will keep them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2010, 07:11 PM
 
Location: Jonquil City (aka Smyrna) Georgia- by Atlanta
16,248 posts, read 20,681,212 times
Reputation: 3587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
The article lacks details but if I had to guess it would be situations where someone was caught outside of school by other means (either sexting or bullying) and once an issue is made of THAT then the school could follow up with their own punishment. Kind of like when sunday school teachers get fired when people find out they have appeared in x-rated movies. It's setting standards of behavior then holding people to them off and on the job/school.
A job and a church are private entity and as such able to regulate the behaviour of members or employees in any way they like. Private schools are the same way. Public schools are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2010, 07:40 PM
 
6,950 posts, read 5,246,980 times
Reputation: 2752
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
No they cannot. What happens outside the school is none of their business. If something happens outside the school, how is it going to "disrupt" class? That is non sense.
Just had a conversation with a family member who is a high school teacher. She told me about a pornographic sext message that went viral at her school - it was a video and for the good part of week, students clustered in the halls, in class, at lunch to watch/comment on it. It was very disruptive to the school day and the administration had to deal with the students responsible for its origination and the girl who made the video of herself. Another story from the same teacher: student leaves his phone on his desk, on the phone is a nude photo of his girlfriend. Another student (female) finds the photo on his phone, sends it to herself, and then she sends it to all of her friends, who then send to all of their friends, and so on. This also caused a major disruption in classes and the school administration had to deal with the students responsible, including the girl who sent the nude photo of herself (she ended up transferring to another school).

Both the video and the photo happened outside of school. Both ended up disrupting classes in school and had to be handled by school personnel. These are not isolated or unusual incidents. It is not non sense to state that something that happens outside of the school can cause disruptions in the school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2010, 07:46 PM
 
6,950 posts, read 5,246,980 times
Reputation: 2752
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I would not keep them out of schools. You can bring your phone to school. By 0800 it is to be OFF and in your LOCKER until the end of the school day. If you get caught in class with it, the first time is a 3 day suspension. Anything after that will add more time. Oh, and each classroom will be equipped with a small can of water so the class can see what happens when a cell phone gets "dunked". That is how I will keep them out.
Right. You think school personnel have the right to take a student's expensive cell phone and "dunk" it? Well, they don't.

BTW, lockers no longer exist in most Miami Dade County high schools. There goes your plan...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2010, 08:07 PM
 
Location: Jonquil City (aka Smyrna) Georgia- by Atlanta
16,248 posts, read 20,681,212 times
Reputation: 3587
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Just had a conversation with a family member who is a high school teacher. She told me about a pornographic sext message that went viral at her school - it was a video and for the good part of week, students clustered in the halls, in class, at lunch to watch/comment on it. It was very disruptive to the school day and the administration had to deal with the students responsible for its origination and the girl who made the video of herself. Another story from the same teacher: student leaves his phone on his desk, on the phone is a nude photo of his girlfriend. Another student (female) finds the photo on his phone, sends it to herself, and then she sends it to all of her friends, who then send to all of their friends, and so on. This also caused a major disruption in classes and the school administration had to deal with the students responsible, including the girl who sent the nude photo of herself (she ended up transferring to another school).

Both the video and the photo happened outside of school. Both ended up disrupting classes in school and had to be handled by school personnel. These are not isolated or unusual incidents. It is not non sense to state that something that happens outside of the school can cause disruptions in the school.
I have put in BOLD at least 4 violations of school rules and policy that happened IN school and not AFTER school.

1. Students clustered in halls are impeding the movement of traffic in the hallway and presenting a fire hazard. Saturday detention for all involved.

2. At least 3 students have cell phones in the class room. 1st offense is 3 days out of school suspension and the cell phone gets "dunked" in water.

3. The girl who sent the nude picture IN CLASS to her friends. 10 day suspension.

See how easy it is to deal with that problem without trying to tell students what they can do AFTER school hours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2010, 08:10 PM
 
Location: Jonquil City (aka Smyrna) Georgia- by Atlanta
16,248 posts, read 20,681,212 times
Reputation: 3587
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Right. You think school personnel have the right to take a student's expensive cell phone and "dunk" it? Well, they don't.

BTW, lockers no longer exist in most Miami Dade County high schools. There goes your plan...
I think they should not only have the RIGHT to dunk it but the OBLIGATION to dunk it. Little Johnny won't bring it to class next time. And I have never heard of a high school with no lockers. Do students there not have books, band instruments and coats to hang up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top