Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 12:27 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,992,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
I'm not upset, someone asked why he let it lapse, I answered giving the most adequate reason why he would let it lapse, then you attack me about why he would let it lapse.
I didnt attack you, I simply stated that the cost to renew the license is minimum compared to the cost of having to obtain one again
Quote:
Like i stated, he has his own reasons why it lapsed, and its not for you, or I or anyone, to know his reasons for doing so.
As the president, one opens themself up to being questioned for all actions they've taken through their life.. Didnt the left question Bushs drinking 20 year previously, or his service in the military back 30-40 years?
Quote:
so I ask, WHY is this an issue?
Who stated it was an issue?
Quote:
And to the OP< Why is it an issue ? There were many US Presidents who were not lawyers.
For all we know, the OP could be doing a book report on the president.. People are assuming its an issue when there is no indication that it is one..

Old 06-20-2010, 12:31 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,260,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
So now the president doesnt practice law? Wow.. I thought thats ALL they did..
No the President doesn't practice law. They govern, rule on treaties and sign bills into law (or veto them).

Bush wasn't a lawyer.
George Washington wasn't a lawyer.

Please outline where in the qualifications/job description of the POTUS that a law degree or license is needed in order to do their job?

Quote:
Actually you brought it up.. I wouldnt have known you had lawyer friends who were retired had YOU not stated so..
Sorry, I meant the person (Sunny-Days90) who i responded to about the "my friends are lawyers" bit. I didn't bring it up. IT was the poster I was replying to that brought it up. He was making it out to be typical that lawyers, even in retirement keep their license. I was relating that that wasn't typical at all.

Quote:
Agreed.. so why are you bitching and moaning for someone who simply posted the FACTS that Obama had a law license and let it lapse.. Where the hell did I claim this wasnt his right? Your in that "defend Obama" mode where you are just attacking people for posting FACTS...
OMG> WOULD you read the freaking thread:

Posted by Sunn Days
Quote:
Why would you let it lapse?

I know several lifelong lawyers who are now retired from official work but still keep their license.

Posted by me in response:
Quote:
Well, if you're not practicing law, or plan on representing clients and going to court, there is not reason to keep a license active (YOU do know it costs money to do so).

Since he hadn't practiced law since his time as campaigning for Senator and then POTUS, that's already 4 years of time that he didn't need it.

and to this YOU replied with our "it doesn't cost much" BS reply and calling my "reasons" as being "silly".

You attacked first to my posts, in reply to someone who wondered why someone would not renew their license. I gave a reason as to why he didn't need to (he wasn't practicing law during his campaigning to be Senator then as Senator, then campaigning to be POTUS and then as POTUS).

so Im not arguing with your FACTS. I know he was licensed; and I know he let it lapse. Im just wondering why YOU would attack my reasons as to why he would let it lapse

Old 06-20-2010, 12:33 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,090,038 times
Quote:
For all we know, the OP could be doing a book report on the president
(smirk)

Kids do ask for homework help on teh innernets nowadays.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:38 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,260,215 times
Quote:
I didnt attack you, I simply stated that the cost to renew the license is minimum compared to the cost of having to obtain one again
And a cost that he could care less a bout.

Many lawyers let their license lapse because they aren't practicing law, so it's not unusual. Maybe they dont care about being kept licensed?

Maybe that is Obama's stance.

Quote:
As the president, one opens themself up to being questioned for all actions they've taken through their life.. Didnt the left question Bushs drinking 20 year previously, or his service in the military back 30-40 years?
and I dont see how letting his license lapse is a big "OMG he did what" issue.

I would be more worried about a lawyer who is practicing law, and didn't renew his licensed and continued to pracitice law, not having a license, than our POTUS who didn't bother to renew, because he isn't practicing law.

Quote:
Who stated it was an issue?
Those who keep on bringing it up (OMG< he didn't renew his license) - This isn't the only time its been brought up.

Quote:
For all we know, the OP could be doing a book report on the president.. People are assuming its an issue when there is no indication that it is one..
Every time I've seen it brought up, has nothing to do with a "book report" and has been one of the "issues' used against the POTUS to try and disqualify everything that he has done, even so much as used by the Birthers as well to say he is ineligible to be POTUS

BEfore anyone says otherwise, I was a Hillary supporter and voted for her.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:53 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Hells Bells! He passed but it took his wife, Michelle multiple attempts to pass the bar, as well as his secy of state and supposed intellectual Hillary Clinton!
She wouldn't be the first (to fail a bar exam). My DD has a friend who also failed his exam; I recall that JFK, Jr. had to take his exam several times in order to pass.

This article may clarify things for some. I can't copy/past from it, you'll have to click on it and read it yourselves.

snopes.com: Barack and Michelle Obama's Law Licenses

Old 06-20-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
No the President doesn't practice law. They govern, rule on treaties and sign bills into law (or veto them).
They indeed argue the rule of law.. Ever hear of the president filing legal briefs to the Supreme Court. Arent treaties and bills written based upon the rule of law? Didnt Obama write the healthcare bill so it would pass legal muster?
Quote:
Bush wasn't a lawyer.
George Washington wasn't a lawyer.
That doesnt mean they dont practice it.. I'm not a lawyer either, but that doesnt mean I havent been in the courts of law making legal arguments. I have indeed, beginning at a local magistrate level, where you dont hire lawyers, up to federal courts dealing with trademark infringement issues. A lawyer needs to be present, but you are not required to be a lawyer to make arguments before the courts..
Quote:
Please outline where in the qualifications/job description of the POTUS that a law degree or license is needed in order to do their job?
No one made such claims..
Quote:
Sorry, I meant the person (Sunny-Days90) who i responded to about the "my friends are lawyers" bit. I didn't bring it up. IT was the poster I was replying to that brought it up. He was making it out to be typical that lawyers, even in retirement keep their license. I was relating that that wasn't typical at all.
Typically, lawyers keep their licenses current even if they arent practicing law, up until their point of retirement. They do this because letting it lapse and having to get it renewed is more costly than just paying the fee.. But yes, there is no mandate that they not let it lapse.. its an individuals choice..
Quote:
and to this YOU replied with our "it doesn't cost much" BS reply and calling my "reasons" as being "silly".
So you think a comparison between getting a law license and a drivers license is valid.. Sorry, that argument continues to be silly, even after the initial posting..
Quote:
You attacked first to my posts, in reply to someone who wondered why someone would not renew their license. I gave a reason as to why he didn't need to (he wasn't practicing law during his campaigning to be Senator then as Senator, then campaigning to be POTUS and then as POTUS).
And I agree, he's under no obligation to renew his license if he doesnt wish to.. I didnt attack your facts, I simply called the comparison of obtaining a law license, to a drivers license not a fair comparison.
Quote:
so Im not arguing with your FACTS. I know he was licensed; and I know he let it lapse. Im just wondering why YOU would attack my reasons as to why he would let it lapse
I didnt attack the reasoning, I attacked the comparisons..
Quote:
And a cost that he could care less a bout.

Many lawyers let their license lapse because they aren't practicing law, so it's not unusual. Maybe they dont care about being kept licensed?

Maybe that is Obama's stance.
I agree.. which is why I havent disagreed with it.. I have licenses which I've let lapse, even franchise agreements.. No one is obligation to continue an expense for something they arent using..
Quote:
and I dont see how letting his license lapse is a big "OMG he did what" issue.
Neither the OP, nor I took that position
Quote:
I would be more worried about a lawyer who is practicing law, and didn't renew his licensed and continued to pracitice law, not having a license, than our POTUS who didn't bother to renew, because he isn't practicing law.
Agreed, but again, the comparison isnt valid because its not a this or that scenario..
Quote:
Those who keep on bringing it up (OMG< he didn't renew his license) - This isn't the only time its been brought up.

Every time I've seen it brought up, has nothing to do with a "book report" and has been one of the "issues' used against the POTUS to try and disqualify everything that he has done, even so much as used by the Birthers as well to say he is ineligible to be POTUS
Again, I would agree with you here, but the OP didnt state a reason why they wanted to know, so just assuming it was an effort to attack is over the top.. It could very well be an innocent question and I try to give most a benefit of the doubt until I have a reason not to..
Quote:
BEfore anyone says otherwise, I was a Hillary supporter and voted for her.
not surprised.. By the way, did you know it was Hillarys' people who started that birther movement you just criticized?

Old 06-20-2010, 01:04 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Quote:
Typically, lawyers keep their licenses current even if they arent practicing law, up until their point of retirement. They do this because letting it lapse and having to get it renewed is more costly than just paying the fee.. But yes, there is no mandate that they not let it lapse.. its an individuals choice..
While the snopes article did not address cost, it did say that putting one's license on "inactive" makes it easy to reactivate when/if you decide you want to.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:12 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,716,205 times
Quote:
Hells Bells! He passed but it took his wife, Michelle multiple attempts to pass the bar, as well as his secy of state and supposed intellectual Hillary Clinton!
I don't hold multiple attempts against either of them. Took a judge friend of my father's many tries and he became an awesome attorney and judge.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:44 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,090,038 times
Quote:
Can you provide links for those claims, please? Thanks.

Edit -- I see that Hillary failed the DC bar exam. She passed the Arkansas one and never retook the DC exam.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Can you provide links for those claims, please? Thanks.

Edit -- I see that Hillary failed the DC bar exam. She passed the Arkansas one and never retook the DC exam.
Michele Obama failed the July 1988 Illinois bar exam.. Do you guys really not know this information?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.