Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 08:30 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Capitalism has made America the wealthiest country. Is wealth a sign of greatness?
Wealthiest on average per capita, which hides the great poverty. Apart from that, the US currently ranks among the top 10 wealthiest countries, but certainly not first, usually 10th or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 08:31 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
No competition, is the progressive thinking.
There is no incentive to be the best.
Everyone is the exact same. No individualism.
Individualism is not something Americans value.
Americans value individual ownership, but not individual thought. America is a conformist society. In America 'diversity' is a nice word, but people that are different are barely tolerated and even hated.
If only all Americans would think alike for the glory capitalism.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:07 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
I never said we live in a true capatilistic society. Nor did I say anything a corporation does is lawful and acceptable.

Why do you not undestand I made a list of things that capatilism has given us. Maybe you shoud read my posts before responding.

You must of went to government schools, what with the lack of reading comprehension and all.
You must have skipped out on English class.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:12 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,031 times
Quote:
Apparently, it seems that the Right believes that capitalism is freedom. And freedom is capitalism.
Are corporate profits the indicators of how muich freedom we have? Does the Dow Jones give a daily assessment of freedom?
Do the Righties believe that laws for minimum wage, paid vacation time, sick leave, child labor laws, working conditions (OSHA), etc are all made to reduce freedom?
I'm giggling a little at this thread, one question;
"What is a LAW?"

Old 06-22-2010, 09:39 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,031,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Wealthiest on average per capita, which hides the great poverty. Apart from that, the US currently ranks among the top 10 wealthiest countries, but certainly not first, usually 10th or so.
The US poverty rate is lower than that of many Western European countries. Spain, Britain, Portugal, and Italy all have higher poverty than the US. Germany, Denmark, and Canada have a poverty rate close to that of the US. It does not appear that an expansive welfare state changes much in terms of the poverty rate.. The exceptions being France and Ireland.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:18 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
The US poverty rate is lower than that of many Western European countries. Spain, Britain, Portugal, and Italy all have higher poverty than the US. Germany, Denmark, and Canada have a poverty rate close to that of the US. It does not appear that an expansive welfare state changes much in terms of the poverty rate.. The exceptions being France and Ireland.
Sure, poverty is hidden by those numbers for every country. But I never claimed any of those countries such as Spain, Britain or Portugal were wealthier than the US in the first place. Portugal for instance has long been considered one of the poorest countries in the EU, and Spain is not doing much better anymore. But neither country is spending as much per capita on welfare as the US is. Although it is organized differently, the US is actually spending quite a lot on welfare and social security. In another thread someone presented numbers recently that indicate the US spends more on welfare than the EU average.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:22 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times
Anyone who doesn't understand why you cannot have freedom without capitalism you really need to read all of Milton Friedman's work. There are hundreds of videos on youtube. I advise anyone who doesn't understand capitalism to watch these videos.

"I'm not in favour of fairness. I'm in favour of freedom. And freedom is not fairness.
Fairness means that somebody has to decide what's fair."

Let me tell you, the corporate fascism that we have in America today is far from real capitalism. Because of the billion regulations in our industrial fields today, it is very difficult and extremely expensive for a new company to come about. Large corporations are given all kinds of special treatment, and put themselves in a position for monopoly, government exclusions, bailouts, etc.

In regards to government involvement in the market. Their only real need in regulating the free-market is to prevent coercion and fraud.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:32 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,042 times
Quote:
Individualism is not something Americans value.
Americans value individual ownership, but not individual thought. America is a conformist society. In America 'diversity' is a nice word, but people that are different are barely tolerated and even hated.
If only all Americans would think alike for the glory capitalism.
I find that statement intersting. Are there any statistical facts that support this?

I think your way off base. America is extremely accepting of other cultures, ideas, people..

If it wasn't for liberal policies and the creation of a nanny state we probably would not be seing the backlash against immigration we are now witnessing. We are always policing ourselves and asking "is this appropiate" in how w deal with stuff.

Have you had the chance to travell outside the US?

I work with immigrants who come to America from eastern block european countries to work for the summer and travell. They All are college students or older. It has been hammered hard to me that America is leeps and bounds beyond any where else. These people have travelled the world and I have never heard once "I like this country better then America".. or anything similiar.

People love to bash America. But no matter what the incident or situation a closer look usually reveals the true intent!

look at Mexico's president speaking out against AZ's effort to curtail ILLEGAL immigration.... Is anyone familiar with how Mexico treats it's illegal immigrants??

It goes on and on.

Look at the individuals who are against capitalism.. same thing.. personal motives that have nothing to do with the greater good.. It's always greed!

And for the record... big business has nothing to do with capitalism..

Quote:
Thomas Jefferson
If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered."

Last edited by flycessna; 06-22-2010 at 10:41 AM..

Old 06-22-2010, 10:32 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Anyone who doesn't understand why you cannot have freedom without capitalism you really need to read all of Milton Friedman's work. There are hundreds of videos on youtube. I advise anyone who doesn't understand capitalism to watch these videos.

"I'm not in favour of fairness. I'm in favour of freedom. And freedom is not fairness.
Fairness means that somebody has to decide what's fair."

Let me tell you, the corporate fascism that we have in America today is far from real capitalism. Because of the billion regulations in our industrial fields today, it is very difficult and extremely expensive for a new company to come about. Large corporations are given all kinds of special treatment, and put themselves in a position for monopoly, government exclusions, bailouts, etc.

In regards to government involvement in the market. Their only real need in regulating the free-market is to prevent coercion and fraud.
The problem is that until we have Campaign Finance Reform, we will not have a healthy form of Capitalism. It is unbelievable that we have so many representatives in our government that are deep in the pockets of the giant corporations and they are so obvious about it. A perfect example is Congressman apologizing to BP. Why we allow this to go on is beyond me. It is as if we are living in an alternate universe. You are right...we are experiencing what it is like to live in a nation run by corporations and the sad part is that many people are confusing this with true Capitalism.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:44 AM

380 posts, read 642,489 times
Quote:
Apparently, it seems that the Right believes that capitalism is freedom. And freedom is capitalism.
Are corporate profits the indicators of how muich freedom we have? Does the Dow Jones give a daily assessment of freedom?
Do the Righties believe that laws for minimum wage, paid vacation time, sick leave, child labor laws, working conditions (OSHA), etc are all made to reduce freedom?
Free market capitalism is the best path to prosperity as the single most efficient and powerful system for creating wealth, reducing poverty and developing less wasteful ways of organizing output and consuming resources.

http://www.gsb.stanford.edu/community/bmag/sbsm0011/images/friedman.jpg (broken link)

read Barry Goldwater's "the conscience of a conservative". You'll be blown away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies