Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 07:27 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times

Advertisements

Homosexuals should have no more or less rights than any other citizens. They, too, should be able to strive for "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness" including secular marriage to another person of the same sex. To interfere with their desire to marry is just another set of groundless legal discrimination. This secular marriage does not have to be recognized by any religion that does not accept same sex marriages because to do so would violate the separation of church (religion) and State (secular).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 07:41 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapoutofit View Post
What if I want more than one wife?

What if I want to marry my grandmother?

What if i want to marry some livestock i might have?

What if i want to marry..........

Where exactly should the definition of marriage end?
How about 'two adult human beings who are not related to one another and are otherwise unencumbered'? That would leave out polygamy, livestock, kitchen appliances, relatives and children.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:53 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha! View Post
This post is just full of ignorance. Then again, most religious people are.
You should have stopped with your first sentence because the second one would include many, many gay rights proponents. It is not religious belief that makes some act like fools; it is the misuse and/or the misinterpretation of those beliefs.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:56 AM

2 posts, read 1,536 times
so many ignorant people in this thread.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:58 AM

448 posts, read 533,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcgal View Post
So if the church is going to start controlling who can and cannot get married, then the church should make sure that those getting married are "true" virgins (this goes for both the man and the woman), ready and willing to produce (maybe the church could test for fertility before marrying the lovely couple) and FREE AND CLEAR OF ALL OTHER SINS!!!
Love it! With this in mind, NO ONE would be allowed to marry!

I couldn't agree more

Old 06-21-2010, 08:00 AM

448 posts, read 533,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
You should have stopped with your first sentence because the second one would include many, many gay rights proponents. It is not religious belief that makes some act like fools; it is the misuse and/or the misinterpretation of those beliefs.
This is true, but for some it's most definitely their religious beliefs that makes them act like fools.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:01 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,681,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Marriage is between a Man and a Woman. That is the only creation combination.

Gay sex is a union of sorts, but it produces no offspring.

A major part of Marriage is purposed to have more people.

Gay Unions are fine, calling it marriage is stupid.

There is a redefining of language to the point that our culture is communicably confused.

When we have to discern what the definition of "is" is. We gone completely off the mark and headed toward hedonism.

The youth will continue to be angered, and murder, death, unhapiness, laziness, self destruction and all other forms of negativism will increase.

Have a gay ole' time. yabba dabba dooooooo!
You dont have to be married to have kids, and you dont have to be married to be a GOOD father or mother.
You have the responsiblity no matter what religion you practice to live up to natures responsiblity.
That is the difference between society and your defination of hedonism.
Everyone has a choice in life you can ever make good ones or bad ones and no matter what religion you are nature and the laws of nature still apply.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:09 AM

15,145 posts, read 14,327,477 times
A society that claims to be a democracy should show some minimal regard for the will of the common man, at the very least.Gay marriage poses another riddle. Its proponents argue that it is a matter of fundamental human rights. For some, a moral right, for others, a natural right.In any case, the defenders of gay marrige draw on a philosophical tradition that asserts the existence of a higher order of rights than those that happened to be written down in the law books of a society. Because these rights attach to individuals outside of, and even prior to,society, no society can legitimately take them away or withhold them.Even if 99 out of 100 Americans were violently opposed to gay marriage,it would make no difference. No majority vote, no matter how overwhelming, can rob people of those rights assigned to them by nature or by transcendent moral law.
History has been a series of cultural conflicts. These arise whenever ther are two competing camps within within a society. In America today, one camp is determined to hold on to the old ways of life or what they imagine those ways to have been while the other camp is determined to vanquish what they see as outmoded traditions and replace them with their own superior and enlightened wisdom.Both camps are deeply convinced that they are fighting for what is right, but because they speak entirely different languages, niether camp can ever hope to persuade the opposition to change its mind.The inevitable result is a power stuggle to determine which camp gets to teach and instill its values to the next generation. Teach your children well.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:42 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,525,151 times
I have a wife, a child and another one underway. We are your typical family.

We have a lot of gay friends. Not because we pretend to be open-minded, it is simply a coincidence.

We are friends with them because they are very generous and loyal friends. Their sexual orientation is the least of our worries. In fact, I can't bring myself to care about their gayness. Why would I want to? I have no interest in picturing my friends in bed, gay or not.

When someone tells me he's gay, my reaction is the equivalent of when someone tells me "I like this food". I have no opinion on the matter and I don't start discussing it in length because that would just be kinda gay, actually.

And that is real acceptance. Tolerance implies that it requires an effort on your part to accept gays whereas I accept it as a fact, like the fact that water is wet.

I'm always fascinated with people who can't even TOLERATE gays. I mean, can't you at least just shut up about it?

The real question that people should ask about gays is: who cares?

The day everyone will stop worrying so much about gays is the day the gay groups will have no reason to exist.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:03 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,784,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Marriage is between a Man and a Woman. That is the only creation combination.

Gay sex is a union of sorts, but it produces no offspring.

A major part of Marriage is purposed to have more people.

Gay Unions are fine, calling it marriage is stupid.

There is a redefining of language to the point that our culture is communicably confused.

When we have to discern what the definition of "is" is. We gone completely off the mark and headed toward hedonism.

The youth will continue to be angered, and murder, death, unhapiness, laziness, self destruction and all other forms of negativism will increase.

Have a gay ole' time. yabba dabba dooooooo!
It the the RIGHT of a society to change or modify a social issue to meet it's own standards and acceptances. Is it not?

Marriage by definition is first and formost a social contract between two people. That stuff about procreation and monogamy was added by religious authorities some centuries ago. We can have children outside of marriage. I guess you never had the birds and bees talk.

You can be married without ever stepping foot in a church, ever. Marriages are state sanctions. The religious thing is an add on.

I love haw Christian right-wingers always say, "well we're going to hell in a hand-basket" when things come along they hate like civil rights and liberties for disenfranchiased people. It's really getting old, and I don't think anyone is listening anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies