Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 11:02 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,592,281 times

Advertisements

I think you have to wonder whether Jovonne Brister was waiting around for the media to show up, in order to make that wonderful comment about employment opportunities in Chester. If nothing else, it indicates that Mr. (or Ms.) Brister certainly has a bright future as a spin doctor.

Doesn't it seem more likely that a bunch of people had guns (which they probably didn't need, but wanted to have), and used them to shoot other people? I mean, let's be honest. One of the deaths was a two-year-old boy. That can't possibly have had anything to do with someone not having a job, can it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 11:27 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudvoterofObama View Post
Yeah, I agree. I agree they need jobs, but who really thinks they would actually take an opportunity to get hired?
Most would. But who really thinks anyone will give them the opportunity to get hired? Jovonne thinks "they" need too give people jobs. Who is this magic "they"? who is going to give people jobs?

However, offering them temporary or part time jobs is not the answer. Of course, they wouldn't take that. It takes months, years, of stupid paperwork and appointments with idiots and waiting in waiting rooms and getting moved from one list to another, to get food stamps and other benefits. Who would give that up for a week or two of work. commuting for hours every day, and then have to start all over again applying for benefits as soon as the work stopped?

Old 06-23-2010, 11:51 AM

21 posts, read 25,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
As it is, what we have is white flight marginalizing a town which then loses essential services and oversight and is allowed to devolve into a social and economic dead zone. It could just as easily be Compton or Detroit or Baltimore City or St. Louis or Milwaukie or any of a half dozen other 'hoods' I could name. Chester is symptomatic of the divisiveness which grips this nation. Arming people will not solve the problem. What will? Well we could start with halting the exportation of economic opportunity. We could end the redlining of neighborhoods by race.
You blame everyone but Black people for their problems. Whites leave Black areas because Black people bring violence and poverty to an area, nobody wants to live with that.

Until we start treating Blacks like adults and not children who we're supposed to solve every problem for them, maybe things will change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Maybe next time you won't go across 3,000 miles of ocean and kidnap millions of decent, hardworking people, minding their own business, and destroy their spirit with decade upon decade of oppression and systematic exclusion. I hear the frustration in your post. I've got no sympathy.
You are pathetic. Slavery is hardly the excuse for the situation of Blacks in this country today. Look at Africa or any country with a Black majority, it's a disaster. You constantly make excuses for the behavior of Black people and it's obnoxious.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:08 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,754,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Look at how those douchebag losers celebrated in Los Angeles and tell me that some cities don't need curfews and national guardsman firing rubber bullets and tear gas into thier citizens. Chester is a dump of a town, as bad as some parts of Philadelphia. Either you have a police state or you allow criminals and thugs to run wild. The best deterrent to crime is to have a few private citizens, would be victims, have guns legally and shoot and kill their assailants.
No, what they need are cops and Mayors that are not afraid to use force- even deadly force- against thugs and those engaged in mayhem. When the police are not afraid to use force, you don't see riotous behaviour. I remember 1980 when the Phillies and my beloved Royals were playing the last game of the World Series. When the Phillies won it at home, everybody was saying there would be riotous behaviour. The Mayor of that city sent 1000 cops into the streets and the stadium was ringed inside and out by hundreds of cops with dogs. Downtown Philly was filled with shotgun carrying officers. There was no mayhem that night.
Mayor Daley in Chicago in 1968 showed how to deal with mayhem and troublemakers. Too bad other mayors do not have his guts.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:13 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,316,014 times
The private prison systems should be offering substantial bounties.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:07 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,986,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Like "giving them jobs" will stop all the crime ?

Just wait until this depression gets into full swing as budget cuts hit into the social services.
We need a real economic stimulus package $1k per month per person. $900Bil per quarter. Printing the money would be OK for now.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:23 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,316,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Like "giving them jobs" will stop all the crime ?

Just wait until this depression gets into full swing as budget cuts hit into the social services.
Well, you need to pay them $50 per hour, and triple time for any hours past 8 in a day if they exceed 80 in any given week.

Ya gotta make it so they profit more from working themselves to death than from criming away their hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies