Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 07:03 AM

11,754 posts, read 14,611,102 times

Advertisements

I think it's very interesting that all you conservatives who pretend to love the Constitution have no regard for the concept that the military is subject to the control of the civilian government of the United States.

True colors, anybody?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 07:18 AM

9,450 posts, read 9,742,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I think it's very interesting that all you conservatives who pretend to love the Constitution have no regard for the concept that the military is subject to the control of the civilian government of the United States.

True colors, anybody?
Why do liberals always paint with a wide brush?

There are a few "conservatives" as you say, that may think that way. But most, especially the ones who have served, know that the General should have done a better job controlling his aides and not allowed them to speak to this reporter about the civilian leadership.

President Obama is the man in charge. Generals and all officers need to set the example and respect the office of the President. They don't have to respect the man in the office, but like it has been said in this thread, keep it to yourself.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:18 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,431,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Yes thats the way it works, the US is a civilian government not a military dictatorship. Perhaps if he wanted it to work some other way the Pakistani or Turkish military would be a better fit.
This isn't about who what form of gov't we have and how it's run. You don't have to have a country that's run by a military dictatorship, to have a military that protects our country. We have a military and it's not run by civilians.

It's request from a five star general for 40,000 additional troops in order to do the surge correctly and he spent months to come up with the decision to send them but, changed it to 30,000. He micro-managed something he has zero experience with. Obama has final decision and the surge was the decision that was made but, leave the details to the people that know how to do it. Unless there's something that looks grossly out of order, sign off on the reccomendations....the request was not outrageous. Why did Obama pick McChrystal if he can't feel comfortable with his recommendations.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:20 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,975,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Boats,

With all due respect, even the most causal visitor to the site will recognize that broad brushes are the only ones that folks seem to be able to find around here, regardless of their particular political persuasion.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:21 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,080,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post

True colors, anybody?
Excellent point and as I just pointed out to another poster, if it were not Obama involved, they would not be batting an eyelash over the matter.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:23 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,080,845 times
Quote:

There are a few "conservatives" as you say, that may think that way. But most, especially the ones who have served, know that the General should have done a better job controlling his aides and not allowed them to speak to this reporter about the civilian leadership.

President Obama is the man in charge. Generals and all officers need to set the example and respect the office of the President. They don't have to respect the man in the office, but like it has been said in this thread, keep it to yourself.
So what are you saying? That going public with his gripes was okay? It was not Obama's choice of ties that McChrystal criticized.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:39 PM

11,754 posts, read 14,611,102 times
Quote:

True enough: you have been consistent in your support for the chain of command and civilian government. I think it's fair to say, though, that you're in the minority among conservatives posting on these McChrystal threads.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:47 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,182,754 times
As a vet I can sympathise with the General. Civilians call the shots, disregard what the military says and then blames the military for failure even though the military followed orders. Vietnam is a classic example as is Somalia, Iraq and Afghanistan.
LBJ we don't bomb an outhouse lesson I say so....
This said the good General knew the rules before taking the job. Civilian leaders have no sense of humor when it comes to someone pointing out the obvious. He is not the first general canned for making unflattering statements nor is he the greatest general ever canned. He is but 1 of many. He will make great money working for CNN as an expert.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:07 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,193,039 times
So, is the democrat congress going to approve that betraying bastish general... oh wait, they don't have to have any respect for the political tool. Just a means to an end.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:47 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,975,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
As a vet I can sympathise with the General. Civilians call the shots, disregard what the military says and then blames the military for failure even though the military followed orders. Vietnam is a classic example as is Somalia, Iraq and Afghanistan.
While I too harbor feelings of sympathy for Gen McChrystal, I can not fathom any justification for his actions. As for the political leadership disregarding the military, most cases such disregard was more than warranted. Lincoln was right to disregard almost every general who commanded the Army of the Potomac, Truman was correct for disregarding MacArthur, and Kennedy was absolutely correct when he disregarded LeMay.

As a for the public laying the blame on the military, outside of the few atrocities unlawfully committed by the U.S. military I simply do not recall any public opprobrium cast upon the U.S. military for Vietnam, Somalia, Iraq or Afghanistan. In each case the public, as far as I recall, was directed squarely at the civilian leadership, particularly when I think back at the Carter's attempt to rescue the U.S. embassy hostages in Iran.

Quote:
Civilian leaders have no sense of humor when it comes to someone pointing out the obvious.
Funny, I've never met an officer who was inclined to have a sense of humor when nco's point out the ridiculousness of one of their brilliant ideas which makes one wonder where the hell the officer corps gets off doing the same to their superiors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies