Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 09:41 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,569,482 times

Advertisements

Problems in American society today

1)Me me me mentality-I don’t care what happens to my neighbor as long as I get my wants fulfilled. Who cares about anything else as long as I get my way?

2)Entitlement mentality-“ I am so special that I deserve everything”. I cannot tell you friggin pissed off I get when I think about it. I have been working ever since I have been of legal age to work. Worked hard at the places I worked. Work hard now. I was a cashier and would always see people dressed up in fur coats with their nails done and buying makeup even I could not afford (while working and going to school) and then hand me the WIC or welfare card. Had a guy who tried to get me to pass a Xbox 360 on the card. I refused it and he told me the “it went through at the other store”. Well Jeez…how many other stores have you ripped off? Or when I worked at Bath and Body Works which is a complete and utter LUXURY store. Had a woman come in and put in hundred dollars worth of lotion in it and then hand me the ****ing bridge card. To hell with it.

3)Thinking you're “special and above” everything else. That girl who got punched by the cop? Good. You don’t ever mouth back at a cop for something as stupid as that. Authority is there for a reason. I have seen students who mouth back to teachers and insult them in front of everyone. When the teacher tells them to stop, they cry that their teachers yelled at them and mommy and daddy come in. I had a guy who would sit next to me and fall asleep in class. He would snore loud. Normally, you don’t care when someone falls asleep but his snoring was so loud. After a month or so of waking him up and telling him to knock it off, my teacher calls his mom. His mom’s response? “How dare you tell Mike he cannot sleep? If my sons wants to sleep, he has that right.”

4)Babying –You have no idea how many college students I have seen NOT come to class or come in once a week. When they fail their test or final, their moms and dads are waiting to argue with the professor for their beloved Jimmy. Listen, I have nothing against you paying for your kids tuition if you can afford it but make sure they deserve it. Are they partying and not going to class?

5)Parents that just CAN’T say NO!-This is becoming MAJORLY serious in my opinion. I was going to move out for school and found this roommate. This girl is so spoiled and cannot tolerate hearing no. She LITERALLY throws a hissy fit. I told her I had to wait before confirming if I could move out or not and she literally went haywire. Sadly, this is with many other kids here. They get so used to getting everything they want that they are not ashamed of fighting with anyone no matter who is it.

6)The mentality of some immigrants-As you all know, I am Indian. Therefore I see a lot of new immigrants at the Temple or at other Indians houses. NONE of them care about the USA. Every paycheck they send a percentage home to their home country and put it there. They then call over their mommies and daddies and have them live here while (somehow-I do not understand this) they get pension or money every month. I know my grandma (who resides in Canada) has NEVER WORKED A DAY OF HER LIFE in Canada gets 700 a month. For what?

She hasn’t even put a CENT into the system. My aunt who has worked 35 years in Canada, is going to get 450 or so a month. My grandma who hasn’t put a cent into the system also gets free health care. What gives, man? They’re telling me that when I am old (and have worked years into this country) Social Security will be dead. This whole immigrant mommy and daddy thing isn’t just in Canada. I know some elderly Indian couples who come to live in the USA with their kids who get a couple hundred for free every month. Where is my couple hundred a month? Why aren’t I special too? I guess I should have dropped out of school and had three or four babies. Then I'd get more like my friends. And my grandma who gets free health care and free money tells me every chance that she gets in Punjabi (because she refuses to learn English) how much she "hate Canada and India number one". Immigrants are becoming a MAJOR problem for society here.

7)JUMPING into it and not THINKING about it-Sure, let’s have sex. It was too hot into the moment and now there are four babies. We’re both 17 by the way. Either have an abortion, abstain or use birth control. This is NOT to women but men too. Use that condom if you are caught up in the act, men. Women, make sure your partner has a condom. Another perfect example: Or how about JUMPING into buying that expensive house or car and not THINKING about it. I guess the thinking part comes when they take that car or house from you and you and the kids are on the street?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 10:04 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
So it judgement;responsiblity and lack of good choices. Nothing really new there.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:06 PM

325 posts, read 235,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Problems in American society today

1)Me me me mentality-I don’t care what happens to my neighbor as long as I get my wants fulfilled. Who cares about anything else as long as I get my way?

2)Entitlement mentality-“ I am so special that I deserve everything”. I cannot tell you friggin pissed off I get when I think about it. I have been working ever since I have been of legal age to work. Worked hard at the places I worked. Work hard now. I was a cashier and would always see people dressed up in fur coats with their nails done and buying makeup even I could not afford (while working and going to school) and then hand me the WIC or welfare card. Had a guy who tried to get me to pass a Xbox 360 on the card. I refused it and he told me the “it went through at the other store”. Well Jeez…how many other stores have you ripped off? Or when I worked at Bath and Body Works which is a complete and utter LUXURY store. Had a woman come in and put in hundred dollars worth of lotion in it and then hand me the ****ing bridge card. To hell with it.

3)Thinking you're “special and above” everything else. That girl who got punched by the cop? Good. You don’t ever mouth back at a cop for something as stupid as that. Authority is there for a reason. I have seen students who mouth back to teachers and insult them in front of everyone. When the teacher tells them to stop, they cry that their teachers yelled at them and mommy and daddy come in. I had a guy who would sit next to me and fall asleep in class. He would snore loud. Normally, you don’t care when someone falls asleep but his snoring was so loud. After a month or so of waking him up and telling him to knock it off, my teacher calls his mom. His mom’s response? “How dare you tell Mike he cannot sleep? If my sons wants to sleep, he has that right.”

4)Babying –You have no idea how many college students I have seen NOT come to class or come in once a week. When they fail their test or final, their moms and dads are waiting to argue with the professor for their beloved Jimmy. Listen, I have nothing against you paying for your kids tuition if you can afford it but make sure they deserve it. Are they partying and not going to class?

5)Parents that just CAN’T say NO!-This is becoming MAJORLY serious in my opinion. I was going to move out for school and found this roommate. This girl is so spoiled and cannot tolerate hearing no. She LITERALLY throws a hissy fit. I told her I had to wait before confirming if I could move out or not and she literally went haywire. Sadly, this is with many other kids here. They get so used to getting everything they want that they are not ashamed of fighting with anyone no matter who is it.

6)The mentality of some immigrants-As you all know, I am Indian. Therefore I see a lot of new immigrants at the Temple or at other Indians houses. NONE of them care about the USA. Every paycheck they send a percentage home to their home country and put it there. They then call over their mommies and daddies and have them live here while (somehow-I do not understand this) they get pension or money every month. I know my grandma (who resides in Canada) has NEVER WORKED A DAY OF HER LIFE in Canada gets 700 a month. For what?

She hasn’t even put a CENT into the system. My aunt who has worked 35 years in Canada, is going to get 450 or so a month. My grandma who hasn’t put a cent into the system also gets free health care. What gives, man? They’re telling me that when I am old (and have worked years into this country) Social Security will be dead. This whole immigrant mommy and daddy thing isn’t just in Canada. I know some elderly Indian couples who come to live in the USA with their kids who get a couple hundred for free every month. Where is my couple hundred a month? Why aren’t I special too? I guess I should have dropped out of school and had three or four babies. Then I'd get more like my friends. And my grandma who gets free health care and free money tells me every chance that she gets in Punjabi (because she refuses to learn English) how much she "hate Canada and India number one". Immigrants are becoming a MAJOR problem for society here.

7)JUMPING into it and not THINKING about it-Sure, let’s have sex. It was too hot into the moment and now there are four babies. We’re both 17 by the way. Either have an abortion, abstain or use birth control. This is NOT to women but men too. Use that condom if you are caught up in the act, men. Women, make sure your partner has a condom. Another perfect example: Or how about JUMPING into buying that expensive house or car and not THINKING about it. I guess the thinking part comes when they take that car or house from you and you and the kids are on the street?
You copied this from Newt Gingrich's contract with America didn't you? Or was it from the Moral Majority conference?

Old 06-21-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
You copied this from Newt Gingrich's contract with America didn't you? Or was it from the Moral Majority conference?
No....

I wrote it myself....

Old 06-21-2010, 10:10 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,580,582 times
8) President Obama

Old 06-21-2010, 10:14 PM

608 posts, read 923,336 times
Quote:
No....

I wrote it myself....
Interesting...These are all CONSERVATIVE values. Genearally, it's the liberal's way of thinking that has created many of the scenariors you wrote about above. I also am aware that you're against illegal immigration. Are you really a liberal; or are you just another guy p***ed off at the repubs? Open your mind and join like minded folks like us that're sick of all the usual b.s. Become a libertarian!

Old 06-21-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
8) President Obama
Nice way to hijack the thread. And...no...

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishing View Post
Interesting...These are all CONSERVATIVE values. Genearally, it's the liberal's way of thinking that has created many of the scenariors you wrote about above. I also am aware that you're against illegal immigration. Are you really a liberal; or are you just another guy p***ed off at the repubs? Open your mind and join like minded folks like us that're sick of all the usual b.s. Become a libertarian!
I am against illegal immigration and legal until we can get ourselves out of this mess. I may not be as liberal as I was but I would be god damned if I ever voted for a Republican.

I like the libertarian point of view but face it. The Demoncraps and Repiglicans own it.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:22 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,779,241 times
Quote:
No....

I wrote it myself....

Good Thread and this speaks volumes to the many who are the complainers and the "where's my free lunch" mentality......Wake up folks, get off your arse and get a job or create one for yourself and don't depend on the goverment for anything

Old 06-21-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
Good Thread and this speaks volumes to the many who are the complainers and the "where's my free lunch" mentality......Wake up folks, get off your arse and get a job or create one for yourself and don't depend on the goverment for anything
It sucks that there are no jobs. However as much as I would love to see people fend for themselves, there are people who sincerely do need help. We can help them but they shouldn't be allowed to make a lifestyle out of it.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:34 PM

522 posts, read 1,793,740 times
I would agree that most of the things you post about are indeed "problems with society", but they have been for hundreds...indeed thousands of years. There's nothing new there: you basically just stated "I hate idiots who detract from, instead of contribute to, my human experience on this planet". So, the debate then comes down to how to solve such problems. There is simply no way conceivable to legislate, through any governing body, that stupid d-bags quit being d-bags. Sometimes it is best to just let them go. Social engineering by giving the idiots free work, free food, free healthcare, free education, indeed free money, simply makes all the non-idiots poorer and disgruntled. It does NOT, however, make the idiots any less idiotic. With this in mind, I offer the following suggestions to solve the issues you speak of:

1)Me me me mentality: Give THE PEOPLE their money back so they have the FREEDOM to help their neighbors.

2)Entitlement mentality: Cut the entitlements that have done nothing but produce more idiots at the expense of the productive.

3)Thinking you're special and above everyone else- I once asked an extremely successful businessman what the key to his success was. His one word answer: "humility". I'd argue that a little more of that would make us all more successful in more than just business.

4)All the rest of your qualms have to do with personal responsibility. There are consequences to actions. This is just common logic. Stop nullifying the consequences for bad behavior. It is like Chris Rock says...When a child is told not to smoke crack, a reasonable response from the child would be, "Why not? I could be mayor!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies