Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2010, 09:56 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,306,909 times

Advertisements

Do Republican/Conservatives despise Government employees? I am not a Democrat or a Republican but I am considering getting a job in Government. I don't agree with the bureaucracy, all the paper shuffling and the inneficiencies BUT I feel like as an individual, the Government is one of the few employers, if not the only employer that offers some type of job security. Is it wrong to join the mothership? Would I be selling out? Any career bureaucrats here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 10:42 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Do Republican/Conservatives despise Government employees?
Not until January 20, 2009.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:18 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times
I think 99% of our current government is a waste. But, if they are giving out free stuff, you might as well use it. You aren't a hypocrite if you use government programs, I mean, it was your taxes that supported these programs in the first place. Its also why Republican politicians aren't hypocrites when they want the feds to give them money for whatever reason. If the government doesn't give you money, they'll just give it to someone else.

Government will rarely shrink itself, unless it is a part of some scandal, or it has other heavy public pressure to reorganize. So most government jobs are pretty safe. The problem is the majority of governments jobs produce absolutely nothing of value. And the waste and corruption and the lack of efficiency of the government programs that are actually useful, just makes me sad. If you take those milllions upon millions of government employees that produce basically nothing from the almost 40% tax rate on the people who actually do produce something, and you put them out in the free-market, think how much better off we would all be now.

And Wars are the absolute worst waste of money that could ever exist. And they are also an absolute waste of life, resources, and man-power. Personally I find only two types of wars to be justified. Wars of actual defense(as in a foreign nation is actually invading us, or an ally, who wasn't the first to declare war), and wars of independence.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 06-22-2010 at 12:27 AM..

Old 06-22-2010, 12:20 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Oh, Repubocrat, are you serious?!

What did you have to do to get this brainwashed?

Old 06-22-2010, 12:39 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,716 times
You should not be a government employee for job security. You should work for the government because you want to serve the people of the United States of America. That's what you become as a public employee; a public servant.

I worked for the government for a period in a highly technical field. My coworkers were intelligent, competent, and hardworking individuals. Our office functioned well and did a lot of good science. While I was there, one employee corrected a mistake a private contractor had made and saved the US taxpayers millions of dollars by preventing a disasterous failure of a very expensive piece of equipment.

Much of government waste stems from lazy or complacent employees who abuse the job security offered by public service. It was, indeed, very hard to fire someone from our office, fortunately no one needed to be. I would probably still be employed in the same place today, with a good salary, great benefits, and job security, but I became bored with the work and realized I wouldn't keep giving 100% to a job for which I had no passion, so I quit and went to work in private industry at something I found more interesting.

As for the original question; some people might make snide remarks about "being on the dole" or what have you, but they were probably lazy idiots who sucked at their jobs and leeched off their companies, so I didn't take their comments to heart.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:02 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,031 times
Registered Republican here and proud conservative.
No I don't despise you or any other blue-collar government worker. You're earning a living like many people in the USA. Keep up the good work! (I hope you're able to get richer too! )
Although I rarely here of people with government jobs getting rich. Those jobs are simply not laid out that way, you can live comfortably and I'm glad for that.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:07 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Let's suppose they do. Does that factor in to your decision to seek government employment? If you see an opportunity for a good job, and, as you say, you're neither a Democrat nor a Republican, then why do you care what they think of government workers? Does that imply you might be embarrassed to be seen in public in your hometown if you had such a job?

You do pose some strange questions on C-D.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:19 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Depends on the agency. I don't like anyone who would work for agencies that routinely violate people's rights like the ATF or IRS, but other agencies even though they may be wasteful or poorly managed that do not do so, like the USFS, etc., generally I have no problem with...

Of course I'm not a Republican and a lot of conservatives don't like me, I lean more libertarian, FWIW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies