Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with extending the Family and Medical Leave Act to same-sex couples?
Yes 76 72.38%
No 24 22.86%
Not sure 5 4.76%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 02:04 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
You should understand the reasoning behind why governments encourage and promote marriage between men and women and why they endorse and support married couples.
You don't find anything wrong with the gov't doing its brand of social engineering? The anti-gov't crowd is usually squealing how they don't want gov't in their lives. Why wouldn't this be an example of gov't favoring those that it wishes to "mother"? To me, the ideal would be where everyone is taxed on income alone, regardless of how many dependents that he or she has or marital status.

Last edited by wehotex; 06-22-2010 at 02:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
That's why I said to legalize and recognize gay marriage. Then we're all on equal footing and the system can't be abused.

Easy as pie.
I agree. There is no other way.

22,187 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed Up! View Post
Just the catholic ones.

Fortunately we aren't catholic.
Well they could be taught be a Ted haggard. I think what you might need to do if you are so afraid of gay people is move somewhere where they execute gays, I think you will be much happier there...

Old 06-22-2010, 02:05 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Suffering?
Project much?

I don't have kids, many people I know don't have kids.
I had myself sterilized because kids mean absolutely nothing to me, I don't see them. They are irrelevant to my existence.
What about people who can't breed and want to?
Are you seriously saying that because someone is gay that they can't have biological kids?
I think you need to get out more.
If an individual is gay, they can have children, but only in an immoral (adultery) and/or unnatural (IVF) manner. Their relationship, however, is barren by its very nature.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:06 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
what? I'm asking a question. HOW DO YOU PROVE YOU ARE GAY? It is impossible to prove that. All I'm saying is that you can't waive the rules for one group and not another. Do you know what that is called? It's called discrimination. What should be done if they are going to bend rules, is bend them for every situation. Again, how do you PROVE you are gay to qualify? I can easliy prove that I am the care taker since I own a home together and we are the only two who live there. Gays can prove that part, but they can't prove that they are gay, so how does this work without millions of people abusing it?
Simple. Gay marriage NOW!. there's your answer.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Simple. Gay marriage NOW!. there's your answer.
I agree, like I said before, it is the only way to keep it from being exploited and massively abused.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:12 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
What are you talking about?
How can an animal be consenting?
Clue: It can't.
Therefore there will be no such thing as a person "marrying" an animal.

It doesn't seem like you understand the concept of consenting adults at all.
Maybe someone else will be happy to explain it to you.
The problem is that not all cultures require consent for their institution of "marriage". In some places, children are (or were) "married" off at birth. The difference between proponents and opponents of same-sex marriage in this country is that most proponents lack any solid definition of marriage (sometimes believing that it is no deeper than a arbitrary social construct), while opponents
do (a consenting man and a woman of age) and above all, a rational basis for it (their relationship, unlike others, is essentially capable of reproduction, and reproduction best takes place in a family setting).

Old 06-22-2010, 02:34 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,146 times
Quote:
How do you prove YOU'RE GAY?!
No. You would just have to prove you have an ongoing relationship. And that could be proved by showing mail each have received at the same address for a certain period of time. Or witnesses to the fact that you've shared a domicile for that same period of time. Or just that one has taken responsibility for the other's welfare in some way.

For instance, if need be my cousin could prove at least a financial relationship with me over the last five and a half years by showing the mail each of us received at my address since November of 2004, and statements from my neighbors showing he lived here during that time, plus the canceled checks for the grocery money he still sends me every two weeks. (that grocery money was given in cash while he was here and only since he moved is it paid by check - and he plans to continue it for the next five years.)

Old 06-22-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
No. You would just have to prove you have an ongoing relationship. And that could be proved by showing mail each have received at the same address for a certain period of time. Or witnesses to the fact that you've shared a domicile for that same period of time. Or just that one has taken responsibility for the other's welfare in some way.

For instance, if need be my cousin could prove at least a financial relationship with me over the last five and a half years by showing the mail each of us received at my address since November of 2004, and statements from my neighbors showing he lived here during that time, plus the canceled checks for the grocery money he still sends me every two weeks. (that grocery money was given in cash while he was here and only since he moved is it paid by check - and he plans to continue it for the next five years.)
Right there lies the problem that will lead to massive abuse with this. All anyone would need to do is get a same sex roomate. The real answer is to legalize gay marriage so nobody gets left out, nobody can abuse the system and the rules stay in place.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:58 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,337,597 times
Quote:
And I will ask you. How do you prove you are gay to qualify?
The system, as it exists today, must rely on the veracity of the couple involved.

Allow everyone to marry the person of their choice, and you do away with the need to prove anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies