Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with extending the Family and Medical Leave Act to same-sex couples?
Yes 76 72.38%
No 24 22.86%
Not sure 5 4.76%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 07:46 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,553,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Simple solution: make gay marriages legal....AGAIN giving EQUAL rights to ALL Americans.....as opposed to repugs who only want "equal" rights for themselves.
That assumes they would all get married. They wouldn't. Just like all straight couples don't get married.

I'd support it if it were extended to straights who lived together too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 07:47 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Try to quote accurately(the TRUTH, ya know)....Newhandle did NOT post "your stupid"....they posted ""Conservatives are so stupid.""
I never claimed it was a "personal" attack, but if "conservatives = stupid" and I'm a conservative, whats that make me? Seriously, you are having trouble connecting the dots on this one?
Quote:
Now, how is your post above a "well thought out reply"?
Considering your retort, my posting is very much a well thought out reply, especially since you havent replied and told me how us straights are not being discriminated against now.. i'm waiting..
Quote:
you are, you are going to the store = you're

your car, your house your belongings, your post= your
Seriously, thats the best argument you could come up with? Rather sad...

Old 06-22-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Simple solution: make gay marriages legal....AGAIN giving EQUAL rights to ALL Americans.....as opposed to repugs who only want "equal" rights for themselves.
Better solution, GET THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT OUT OF THE MARRIAGE BUSINESS ALL TOGETHER.. But noo.. you'd rather insult people who disagree with you and point out flaws in your ridiculous arguments..

Old 06-22-2010, 07:50 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
even better solution...make all marriages ILLEGAL. since it is only about greed anyhow, and that's all the libs and gays want...money and benifits ,,,its never been about love,, its about gay greed
So only rightists get married for love and only love....LOL! Get real!

So conservative married straights pay for single insurance coverage instead of cheaper "married" rates?

Never use a "married" tax break?

Never take a deduction for their kids?

And , even if it wasn't about "love" ...so bloody WHAT?

Did you forget that this is America and you can get married for any reason you choose....or is that another choice rightists want to take away...

Old 06-22-2010, 07:50 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
If I co-habitate with an individual (which I have done for 15 years), am I afforded the same "rights" as the gays? Is the family and medical leave act being extended to straight non married couples?
Yes, this hypocrisy bothers me, too, but be fair...you're not letting them get married, so how can they do it the other way?

Old 06-22-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yes, this hypocrisy bothers me, too, but be fair...you're not letting them get married, so how can they do it the other way?
I'm not stopping them from getting married.. its the law doing so..

Old 06-22-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:
So only rightists get married for love and only love....LOL! Get real!

So conservative married straights pay for single insurance coverage instead of cheaper "married" rates?

Never use a "married" tax break?

Never take a deduction for their kids?

And , even if it wasn't about "love" ...so bloody WHAT?

Did you forget that this is America and you can get married for any reason you choose....or is that another choice rightists want to take away...
I'm not married because its a tax PUNISHMENT for me.. Do you see me whining about it? Asking for special exemptions? Special laws to be written? No.. you live WITHIN the law without being a crybaby about it..

Again, how is this EQUAL rights for ALL americans, which you have just called for.. If you are so supportive of EQUAL rights, then you should OPPOSE this from taking place.. Or maybe you arent for EQUAL rights, you want special rights..

Old 06-22-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
I never claimed it was a "personal" attack, but if "conservatives = stupid" and I'm a conservative, whats that make me? Seriously, you are having trouble connecting the dots on this one? ""

I never said you said it was a personal attack....but you don't know how to quote or you quote with intent to mislead.

Considering your retort, my posting is very much a well thought out reply, especially since you havent replied and told me how us straights are not being discriminated against now.. i'm waiting.."""

HOW are straights discriminated against?

Seriously, thats the best argument you could come up with? Rather sad...
Oh, the dramatic "sad" word when an argument is turning the wrong way for you

""" i'm waiting.."""

Ya, and I'm waiting and waiting and waiting for a rightists to explain who should pay for the BP spill but have never gotten an answer...so you just sit there and wait, too....

Old 06-22-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Oh, the dramatic "sad" word when an argument is turning the wrong way for you

""" i'm waiting.."""
For what? I have no clue what your point is.. Are you asking how straights will be discriminated against? If gays are being discriminated against because they arent afforded "rights" to see their loved ones, and take care of them, even though they arent married, then tell me why straights arent afforded those same "imaginary rights".. I'M NOT MARRIED, but I wont be able to do the SAME thing that you are supporting. By YOUR definition, thats discrimination, but you dont seem to have an issue with it now..
Quote:
Ya, and I'm waiting and waiting and waiting for a rightists to explain who should pay for the BP spill but have never gotten an answer...so you just sit there and wait, too....
You have gotten an answer, you just choose to ignore it because it doesnt fit in your little ideal world.. But stop attempting to hijack the thread, topic is family and Medical Leave Act, and if you support gays getting special treatment over straights. I guess when you lose the argument, you change the subject..

Old 06-22-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
I'm not married because its a tax PUNISHMENT for me.. Do you see me whining about it? Asking for special exemptions? Special laws to be written? No.. you live WITHIN the law without being a crybaby about it..

Again, how is this EQUAL rights for ALL americans, which you have just called for.. If you are so supportive of EQUAL rights, then you should OPPOSE this from taking place.. Or maybe you arent for EQUAL rights, you want special rights..

What special rights do gays want? (ANOTHER UNanswered question...rightists NEVER can answer that)....YOU think they're special but they only want equal rights....

Wellll, I can see other reasons you'RE not married but my spouse and I must have a better tax person....we pay less now that we're married....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies