Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with extending the Family and Medical Leave Act to same-sex couples?
Yes 76 72.38%
No 24 22.86%
Not sure 5 4.76%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 08:17 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,474,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
No. Because you have the right to get married. If you want those rights, just get married.
marriage is not a right.....its a 'priviledge that you have to PAY for to get PERMISSION (a liciense) for
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 08:20 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
No law is preventing you from getting married. If you do decide to get married, every state will recognize your union. You can't say the same for gays and lesbians.
But the law does prevent me from seeing my "spouse", or determining her medical issues etc while she's in the hospital, the very same "right", gays are whining over not having.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
If you want to get FMLA benefits then quit shacking-up and get married.
I could tell you to quit being gay and get a "normal" life, so you can get married if you want those very same benefits.. But I wont..
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
And that privilege comes with benefits. You are CHOOSING not to do something that most gays in this country cannot legally do. Big difference.
If you cared about EQUAL "rights", you would oppose this.. But the non stop excusing of this proves you dont care about "equal rights", you just want what you want and screw everyone else!!!

Old 06-22-2010, 08:21 AM

137 posts, read 203,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed Up! View Post
It's not normal end of story. Animals in the wild produce children they don't commit disgusting acts of sexual pleasure because they can. It is a mental illness if it wasn't then why do they have places that try and treat homosexuals?
What year are you living in? Are you aware that the American Psychological Association has taken the stance that homosexuality is NOT a mental illness?

Sexual Orientation, Homosexuality,and Bisexuality

Old 06-22-2010, 08:24 AM

178 posts, read 101,155 times
I believe it is 2010 as bad off as we are it must be. So you take the opinion of 1 liberal group and use it as gospel? Whatever. The fact remains it is a mental illness and always will be. If they had deemed it a mental illness they would be threatened and killed we have seen how violent the left can be.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theberserkergang View Post
What year are you living in? Are you aware that the American Psychological Association has taken the stance that homosexuality is NOT a mental illness?

Sexual Orientation, Homosexuality,and Bisexuality
Fed Up, didnt say it was a mental illness, they said it wasnt "normal".. Normal is a lifestyle, not an illness difference..

Poligamy to some is "normal". It doesnt need to be a mental illness for others to disagree with it..

Old 06-22-2010, 08:25 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,750,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
question is where does it stop

will it be 'family' leave act for friends and acquantences too???
Let's do a hypothetical here, using the same couple someone on another thread made up yesterday, Steve and Bob in Michigan. Let's say Steve has legal custody of his niece and nephew because their parents died five years ago and Steve is the only living relative. Now these two kids have been living with Steve and Bob for five years and everyone considers Bob as much a parent to them as Steve is. One of the kids gets ill and needs hospitalization or home care. The way the family leave act is currently written, Steve can get the time off from his job to care for the child, but Bob can't. Doesn't seem fair to me.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Let's do a hypothetical here, using the same couple someone on another thread made up yesterday, Steve and Bob in Michigan. Let's say Steve has legal custody of his niece and nephew because their parents died five years ago and Steve is the only living relative. Now these two kids have been living with Steve and Bob for five years and everyone considers Bob as much a parent to them as Steve is. One of the kids gets ill and needs hospitalization or home care. The way the family leave act is currently written, Steve can get the time off from his job to care for the child, but Bob can't. Doesn't seem fair to me.
How about doing a REAL life scenario, using your SAME example..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest
Bob and Michele in Ohio. Let's say Bob has legal custody of his daughter Isyss, and son, Emanuel. Now these two kids have been living with Bob and Michele for five years and everyone considers Michele as much a parent to them as Bob is. One of the kids gets ill and needs hospitalization or home care. The way the family leave act is currently written, Bob can get the time off from his job to care for the child, but Michele can't.
Same scenario, using MY family, to show how the SAME situation applies to straight individuals as well as gays
Quote:
Doesn't seem fair to me.
Seems very fair to me, since straights are subject to the SAME limits.. Gays want SPEICAL privlidges, which is what it amounts to..

Old 06-22-2010, 08:35 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,474,193 times
Quote:
again you try to equate a defination of 'fair'

why should both bob and steve get off....who will 'put the food on the table'...is that fair to those children????

here is another example....steve is married to vicky,,,vicky has 3 children, steve has NONE,,, the kids get hurt,,,,who is going to get called,,,who is going to get time off for their kids...certainly not steve....but steve can still be there EMOTIONALLY, and mentally, and steve can still support his family and make the income for the family......sorry but 'both' dont need time off

here is another example....steve lives with his uncle..his only blood relitive.....guess what...he is NOT going to get AWARDED time off under the 'family' leave act

this whole issue (currently with gays, but you could insert any 'group' in there) is not about freedom, its not about rights...its about what benefits, and money(to include tax breeaks) can the alledged group get.......its about greed

Old 06-22-2010, 08:35 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,994,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
So now its ok to discriminate against those who DONT get married, even though the federal government would penalize me for doing so.

btw, marriage is NOT a "right", NO ONE has the "right" to get married.. its a privlidge..
I don't agree that so many benefits are afforded to married ppl at the expense of single taxpayers. That is the tradition in most countries. The FMLA benefit is allowed to ALL employees, single or married. It is only being extended to same sex partners of eligible employees, UNPAID at that. The gov't does not penalize married couples for marriage in ALL cases. couples with one non-working spouse pay MUCH LESS in taxes than couples where both work (the so-called marriage bonus) That is not fair either. Are you going to argue about that too?

Old 06-22-2010, 08:36 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,430,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

If you cared about EQUAL "rights", you would oppose this.. But the non stop excusing of this proves you dont care about "equal rights", you just want what you want and screw everyone else!!!
I am in a long term relationship with a man that I live with. I do not expect to get any benefits out of the relationship aside from his company. Luckily, his company does extend the same benefits to unmarried partners of either gender as they do to married couples, but we do not take advantage of it.

I honestly see nothing equal about a gay couple that wants to marry but cannot getting benefits and a straight couple that has the ability to get married but does not getting benefits. Completely different scenarios.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies