Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 05:31 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
There was no reason to shut down off shore oil drilling. Hysteria is not an answer to what happened with BP and yes BP is culpbale but not the entire industry.
Off shore drilling was not shutdown. 33 deep drilling rigs which makes up about 5% of the entire Gulf output is what is shutdown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 05:33 PM

48 posts, read 40,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
There was no reason to shut down off shore oil drilling. Hysteria is not an answer to what happened with BP and yes BP is culpbale but not the entire industry.

Right. Because deep sea drilling is 100% safe and if by some freak accident a blowout ever occurs we have proven technology to cap the leak and clean up the mess.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:38 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkdrum View Post
Right. Because deep sea drilling is 100% safe and if by some freak accident a blowout ever occurs we have proven technology to cap the leak and clean up the mess.
I'm sure they would much rather be drilling on land, which is indeed much safer.. but you liberals dont like that.. do you?

Old 06-22-2010, 07:19 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
What a coincidence. Now we're getting a bigger picture of what's really going on here. This guy's a Reagan appointee as well. Big Oil strikes again.

To say Big Oil owns American jurisprudence "lock, stock, and barrel" is a terrible, yet fitting, pun.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:21 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
Quote:
What a coincidence. Now we're getting a bigger picture of what's really going on here. This guy's a Reagan appointee as well. Big Oil strikes again.

Judge who overturned drilling moratorium reported owning stock in drilling companies - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20100622/ts_ynews/ynews_ts2771 - broken link)

Revealed: Judge who overturned Obama’s offshore moratorium owns drilling stocks | Raw Story
so do you if'n you have a 401(k).

Old 06-22-2010, 07:28 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
To say Big Oil owns American jurisprudence "lock, stock, and barrel" is a terrible, yet fitting, pun.
Oily judges, how disgusting!

Like slimy rats.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:53 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,046 times
I wish that judge and his entire family could boil from their own body heat because they are covered in oil just like the millions and millions of our animals have.....

Old 06-22-2010, 08:16 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,598,969 times
Lightbulb hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I bet your parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, friends do too.

Tell me, by what authority/expert opinion does obama have to put in place the moratorium?

We already KNOW that his administration (salazar) LIED about the panel of obama experts agreeing to the moratorium.

Well let's see - how about the opinion of these "experts"
Quote:
[A] contingency plan that was so poorly devised and executed is the model replicated throughout the American oil industry.

Indeed, were an incident similar to Deepwater to occur again, "We are not well-equipped to handle [it]," admits Tillerson. Building a relief well, an expensive and time consuming enterprise that could not stop the damage nearly soon enough (BP's relief wells are expected to be completed in mid-August), is the "only" surefire remedy to such a leak, admits James Mulva, chairman of ConocoPhillips.
Perhaps he's relying on the statements made by the oil companies themselves - Didn't they tell Congress they used one company to submit a duplicate emergency contingency plan that would leave us in the exact position we're in now?

Old 06-22-2010, 08:40 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,962 times
I am just itching to weigh in on this, but I don't feel like I can. You see, I have huge conflicts of interest.

I use gasoline in my car to get to work every day.
My business is heated with natural gas.
The food my family eats is grown with the use of fertilizers derived from petroleum.
The electricity in my home and business comes in part from the combustion of natural gas.
Many of the products that make life so grand in the 21st century, including my computer, contain plastics that are petroleum-based.

So I'd like to present my own high and mighty opinions and prescribe actions that have drastic effects on our society, but I have been cravenly co-opted by Big Oil. Words cannot describe how I feel about those noble souls who do not use oil every day in many ways to make their lives better.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:55 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Quote:

Judge who overturned drilling moratorium reported owning stock in drilling companies - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20100622/ts_ynews/ynews_ts2771 - broken link)

Revealed: Judge who overturned Obama’s offshore moratorium owns drilling stocks | Raw Story
If the judge owns drilling stocks then he would be better off to let those drillers move on to other countries where there are fewer restrictions on production. And probly fewer penalties for unexpected explosions and loss of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies