Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2010, 03:59 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I think you should be able to smoke if that is what you want, I also think if you do you pay the going rate.

And some who want to are being forced not to. And what is the going rate? Is the rate "well we need money because of our irresponsible spending policy, who can we shake down without creating a revolt?" "Oh yeah, the smokers that's who".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 04:13 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
And some who want to are being forced not to. And what is the going rate? Is the rate "well we need money because of our irresponsible spending policy, who can we shake down without creating a revolt?" "Oh yeah, the smokers that's who".
most everything cost far too much money. new cars, homes, milk, drink, smokes. you want it pay for it. sometime life isn't fair. it is the smoker who is making the cig. companies wealthy while risking his own health for the right. perhaps it is the cost of stupid

edited to say I was stupid for many many years myself. wasn't meant as in insult to smokers just the facts

Old 06-23-2010, 04:40 PM

137 posts, read 203,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
They pay more for health insurance, they die younger and overall consume less resources.
I don't know of any smokers that pay more for health insurance. But they will be much more likely to get suffer from cancer, heart disease, high blood pressure, emphysema, bronchitis, depression, among others. And that is increasing everyone's insurance rates by approximately $630 per household. Why should non smokers be paying that?

edited to add source:
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...OfSmoking.aspx

Last edited by theberserkergang; 06-23-2010 at 04:41 PM.. Reason: source

Old 06-23-2010, 04:50 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
Slowly but surely, tobacco users are paying more for their health insurance. Some companies won't even hire you if you smoke.......

Old 06-23-2010, 05:12 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Evidently they're $9.75 in New Jersey.

Also, perhaps, the FDA is requiring that cigarettes no longer be available as self-serve... you cant pick up a pack or a carton yourself, they have to be in locked cases. (I dont see anything about this in the news, but FWIW a woman who works in a tobacco shop in my town told me that this is a new rule.)

I remember this with baby formula, dont know if that's back loose on the shelves these days.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:20 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
$10 a pack up here in Montreal,after they raised the price to $10 a pack some long lost logic circuit clicked open in my brain and i havent smoked tobacco since, after 40yrs of smoking its coming up on a year since my last smoke..

$10 a pack? http://smileys.smilchat.net/smileys/bad/obscene6.gif (broken link)

Old 06-23-2010, 06:12 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
That is crazy. They are $36 a carton in SC and $45 a carton in NC. If I was a smoker in NYC I'd get someone in one of the cheaper states to send me some.

That's probably illegal tho.
That's where many of the contraband cigs sold on the streets of NYC come from.

To me this doesn't just seem like a health issue. It also seems like "economic cleansing" on the part of Bloomberg. He wants to drive the non-wealthy out of NYC with small pockets of projects for those meant to serve the wealthy. He's halfway towards reaching that goal in Manhattan, and about 10% of the way there in Brooklyn. Once he succeeds in Manhattan, he'll tackle Brooklyn next, then Queens, and finally the most difficult of all the boroughs to "clean up" for the rich folks, the Bronx. (Given that the rest of NYC ignores Staten Island, they'll probably be spared for awhile.)

Old 06-23-2010, 09:35 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
That is crazy. They are $36 a carton in SC and $45 a carton in NC. If I was a smoker in NYC I'd get someone in one of the cheaper states to send me some.

That's probably illegal tho.
Sounds like a nice little side business....

Paypal anyone?

Old 06-23-2010, 09:36 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,784,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I second that nomination! Although having said so, I must acknowledge that it's far too simple to win general approval. It's very similar to the problem of people who complained when the city raised the fee for parking violations; the obvious solution (don't park illegally, and you won't get a ticket!) didn't seem to occur to too many people.
lol. tell me about it.

I look at it this way, people need to be trained. Hit on the nose if you will.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:41 PM

16 posts, read 8,303 times
Just don't smoke!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies