Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2010, 03:15 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I told you in the post you quoted.
No...you didn't.

Pot smoking causes significantly more damage to cells and DNA than tobacco smoke according to the link I provided so I cannot see why you wouldn't be as adamantly opposed to banning it's useage.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 03:15 PM

23,866 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
it may be apples and oranges my point was if you want something you pay for it, expensive or not.
Would you be so nonchalant about the tax if we were talking about a 200% tax on vodka, effectively tripling the price? How about new cars? Would it be ok with you if you had to pay $60k instead of $20k for that new compact? After all, if you want it, you'll pay for it, right?

Cigarettes are expensive because the government taxes them so heavily. Period. Comparing that with the price difference between two products of incomparable quality is about the stupidest argument an anti-smoker could possibly come up with.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:16 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,953,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
How so?

No the point isn't moot....

Why could you deal with pot smoke better than cigarettes?
Smells waaay better, perhaps?
Produces many, fine, euphoric and wonderful benefits, that cigarette smoke doesn't?
Doesn't irritate cigarette haters quite as much?

Old 06-24-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
I have a tough time accepting people putting dangerous chemicals in the air with no regard for others.
Which is why you're campaigning to ban the internal combustion engine, right?

Right??

Old 06-24-2010, 03:26 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:
No...you didn't.

Pot smoking causes significantly more damage to cells and DNA than tobacco smoke according to the link I provided
You have one study going against years of scientific evidence. That's a long ways away from being the conclusive proof you would lead us to believe it is.

Quote:
so I cannot see why you wouldn't be as adamantly opposed to banning it's useage.....
Actually, I am, hence this...
Quote:
It's a moot point though. Even if we get legalized pot, public consumption will almost certainly be banned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Which is why you're campaigning to ban the internal combustion engine, right?

Right??
When we rely on cigarettes as almost our sole method of transporting people and goods across this country with no mass producible alternative available, then your example will be alot less stupid.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
You have one study going against years of scientific evidence. That's a long ways away from being the conclusive proof you would lead us to believe it is.
What scientific evidence?You have posted NOTHING...

So you would be for banning pot smoking more stringently than tobacco as it is more harmful?

That is the basis for your disdain for tobacco right,the health risks?

Old 06-24-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
When we rely on cigarettes as almost our sole method of transporting people and goods across this country with no mass producible alternative available, then your example will be alot [sic] less stupid.
I guess there's "good" pollution and "bad" pollution, and as long as the kind of pollution you're generating is the "good" kind, you don't care about anybody else. (And the anti-smokers say that smokers are the ones who are selfish...)

Thanks for the lesson in hypocrisy, btw!

Old 06-24-2010, 03:39 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,992,868 times
I think it's deplorable for the government to keep raising taxes and adding new "sin" taxes simply because they overspend the money they receive and don't know how to balance a budget.

At some point Americans must stand up and stop letting the government get away with walking all over us. People are so content in their ignorance that they fail to understand how little things such as sin taxes ultimately impinge our freedoms and rights. This is what the Tea Party understands. Our forefathers must be turning over in their graves watching how we've all become such sheep. Our constant state of inertia must end.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I guess there's "good" pollution and "bad" pollution, and as long as the kind of pollution you're generating is the "good" kind, you don't care about anybody else. (And the anti-smokers say that smokers are the ones who are selfish...)

Seems so...

Old 06-24-2010, 03:42 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:
So you would be for banning pot smoking more stringently than tobacco as it is more harmful?

That is the basis for your disdain for tobacco right,the health risks
My stance on cigarettes and pot is exactly the same. I have no problem with people doing it in the privacy of their own homes, but use in public where non smokers have to suffer should be banned outright.

Quote:

Not even close to what I said, Einstein, and you trying to put your habit on the same footing as an essential function of our country is the absolute height of intellectual dishonesty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies