U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2010, 11:18 PM

448 posts, read 467,192 times

Advertisements

Alright well anyone who's ever been in a city has had to have seen graffiti/street art. This art work is obviously not appricated by many but I am one of the few...

Here's the deal, I paint in Philly and have already delt with the police... I've seen reports on the news how the cities are in a major "battle" against the graff bombers, etc. The city puts so much into the buffering of this art from the undersides of bridges, train tracks and other hot spots. What I would care to know is why not put more of this money into LEGAL walls for writers to paint on? I feel like more legal spots would cut down on the illegal bombing. I just want to hear some of your thoughts on this problem, the art form, and anything else about this.

Finally, please don't think I'm some scum hoodlum with a can of paint from home depot. I don't paint on personal property (homes, schools, churches) ANYTHING like that. I don't want to disrespect anyone homes or property. I only paint on the tracks and (mostly) spots people don't even actually see. I feel that I'm fairly intelligent (even though most of you think I'm probably stupid for painting in the first place) and I enjoy the type of work I produce. Please don't dismiss this art just because of the bad rep it has gained!!! Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 12:55 AM

30,684 posts, read 33,450,741 times
I think you should build your own walls to paint on.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:29 AM

15,087 posts, read 17,556,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I think you should build your own walls to paint on.
Or the OP should open his own art gallery and display his work there. With that said, I don't think the OP is stupid (as he figures most people may think he is). I've seen spectacular work that certainly rises to the level of art in my opinion. However, unless it is on walls or other similar locations with the authorization of the respective property owner, the OP is vandalizing the property. Respect other people's stuff.

Last edited by MIKEETC; 06-24-2010 at 01:44 AM..

Old 06-24-2010, 01:41 AM

14,790 posts, read 14,039,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelution View Post
Alright well anyone who's ever been in a city has had to have seen graffiti/street art. This art work is obviously not appricated by many but I am one of the few...

Here's the deal, I paint in Philly and have already delt with the police... I've seen reports on the news how the cities are in a major "battle" against the graff bombers, etc. The city puts so much into the buffering of this art from the undersides of bridges, train tracks and other hot spots. What I would care to know is why not put more of this money into LEGAL walls for writers to paint on? I feel like more legal spots would cut down on the illegal bombing. I just want to hear some of your thoughts on this problem, the art form, and anything else about this.

Finally, please don't think I'm some scum hoodlum with a can of paint from home depot. I don't paint on personal property (homes, schools, churches) ANYTHING like that. I don't want to disrespect anyone homes or property. I only paint on the tracks and (mostly) spots people don't even actually see. I feel that I'm fairly intelligent (even though most of you think I'm probably stupid for painting in the first place) and I enjoy the type of work I produce. Please don't dismiss this art just because of the bad rep it has gained!!! Thanks.
Well, what we calling tagging - scribbling your name/tag on buildings - I think is pretty petty, useless & defecating public property.

YET - I reckon Banksy is awesome

If you like street art - you should check out this site

Melbourne Street Art - Stencil Art, Street Poster Art, Sticker Art & Graffiti - with a focus on stencil art, there are dedicated laneways for "artists"

Old 06-24-2010, 03:49 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,221,895 times
You guys can just go down to the railroad yards, and paint on all the boxcars you like. Watching your work on a passing train is actually quite entertaining.

This is a much more serious problem in third-world cities, where the cities are ugly enough without random scribbling "defecating" every square meter of wall space. But unregulated in America, our cities will soon look like Jakarta or Guayaquil, and that is hardly a something we wish to emulate.

However, there are many talented artists doing legitimate art work in semi-public wall space,, and the trick is to reduce the vandalism without militating against the genuinely artistic displays. One solution might be for a city to empanel an art-board, and require artists to get a permit to paint a wall or become registered as artists, but that opens itself up to censorship. It might also require a bylaw, requiring that private owners of a wall in public view must yield the graffiti rights to it, unless they can justify a waiver.

That way, there could be a recognized body of graffiti artists in the city, who would be free to decorate almost any wall, but a defense against pure vandalism would be preserved.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-24-2010 at 04:02 AM..

Old 06-24-2010, 04:22 AM

3,879 posts, read 3,292,421 times
What they should do is fine and imprison the parents of minors engaging in this BS. When they have to serve time for their loser children that they did such a poor job raising they will both end up homeless.

To any adults engaged in this stupidity they should also be fined and imprisoned. Here in LA it's a popular thing to tag everything. The thing I find really stupid is that they will use glass cutters to not only etch their tags on mirrors and windows but also toilet seats.

I have seen Latino gang tags scratched onto toilet seats. Come on who in their right mind would want to put their name and/or affiliation on a public restroom toilet seat that bare a**ses use all day. I had a good friend that was a Vietnam Vet who lived in Inglewood California that used to rant about how people in the inner City used to complain that they were over looked by the City and their funding. And He would always tell me that when the City would spend money getting a new bus for their route that within weeks it would have graffiti inside , outside and all the windows and seats tagged.
Unfortunately a few idiots ruin for the rest of 99 % that appreciate and respect other people's property.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
Well, what we calling tagging - scribbling your name/tag on buildings - I think is pretty petty, useless & defecating public property.

YET - I reckon Banksy is awesome

If you like street art - you should check out this site

Melbourne Street Art - Stencil Art, Street Poster Art, Sticker Art & Graffiti - with a focus on stencil art, there are dedicated laneways for "artists"
I to enjoy stencil work. But this type of working is extreemly hard to produce, it's even harder when your making life size stencils and graphics like banksy does for his street art. In the next, ehhh give it 15 years. Stencils will be used by so many artists on the street art scene. Why?...mainly because they see the success and notority that it's brought bankys. (<---that's just how I feel thought, we'll just have to wait and see!)

If you enjoy Banksy and his work try looking at Blek Le Rat, who was the TRUE front of stencil work, he was doing it 10+ years before banksy hit the scene. But it's all wonderful work!!!!!!!

Old 06-24-2010, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Or the OP should open his own art gallery and display his work there. With that said, I don't think the OP is stupid (as he figures most people may think he is). I've seen spectacular work that certainly rises to the level of art in my opinion. However, unless it is on walls or other similar locations with the authorization of the respective property owner, the OP is vandalizing the property. Respect other people's stuff.
Well thank you I'm glad you don't feel I'm stupid. As of now I'm not in a situation where I could open up a gallery and I still feel like I need to get better. That's why I'm going to college for graphic design/printmaking. But maybe one day I will open a gallery, who knows.

I know that painting on peoples property is bad, but I still feel that they tracks and boxcars aren't a really big deal.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
What they should do is fine and imprison the parents of minors engaging in this BS. When they have to serve time for their loser children that they did such a poor job raising they will both end up homeless.

To any adults engaged in this stupidity they should also be fined and imprisoned. Here in LA it's a popular thing to tag everything. The thing I find really stupid is that they will use glass cutters to not only etch their tags on mirrors and windows but also toilet seats.

I have seen Latino gang tags scratched onto toilet seats. Come on who in their right mind would want to put their name and/or affiliation on a public restroom toilet seat that bare a**ses use all day. I had a good friend that was a Vietnam Vet who lived in Inglewood California that used to rant about how people in the inner City used to complain that they were over looked by the City and their funding. And He would always tell me that when the City would spend money getting a new bus for their route that within weeks it would have graffiti inside , outside and all the windows and seats tagged.
Unfortunately a few idiots ruin for the rest of 99 % that appreciate and respect other people's property.

Well where to begin first with this one...

First off, my mother did a fine job raising me. She instilled values and life lessons on me. She told me to respect people and there possessions. (Which is ironic, and I know what you're thinking already "Well obviously that didn't click if he's painting", but it did!) You can call me a "loser" for painting, or a "dumbass", or stupid even though I'm a senior graduating in the top 25% of his class, but you know I guess we all can't be bright. I can take your words. But don't you dare tell me my mother didn't raise me well and don't sit there and tell me that she should be imprisoned for my actions. I have already accepted responsibly for my painting once and I dealt with the consequences of it.

Next, I can't even believe you're comparing LA to......well....ANYWHERE ELSE... epically on this subject. LA's graffiti is WAY to different from any east coast city. (Maybe not NY, but I haven't painted up there and don't know what the scene is like). The graff problem in Philly is, I would say, on a scale of 10, it's a 4.5 or 5. In LA, I haven't painted there or hell even been there but I've seen pics and vids and friends have told me how much graff there is there. LA would probably be around a 9 or 9.5 (Correct me if I'm wrong because I would care to know, Thanks.)

Next, you talk about Latinos tagging gang graffiti, well I'm just letting you know buddy, I'm not talking about gang graffiti!!! Obviously gang graffiti is bad and visually polluting the streets, but that's not the type of graff I'm talking about. There is different types. (Ex. Gang, Writers Graff). There is a major difference between gang graffiti and actual graff that a talented writer would paint. Yes, people use glass to etch spots, I've known people who use acid to burn it into bus windows. (But i haven't honestly never done anything like this, it's not art and it just looks trashy.)

Finally, I just want to reiterate what I said, please don't judge your view of graffiti on just LA. (But you obviously have) It's far more beautiful in cities such as Philly and Pittsburgh (I've seen) because it's NOT everywhere.

~Keep Painting.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:48 AM

9,856 posts, read 13,419,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelution View Post
Well where to begin first with this one...

First off, my mother did a fine job raising me. She instilled values and life lessons on me. She told me to respect people and there possessions. (Which is ironic, and I know what you're thinking already "Well obviously that didn't click if he's painting", but it did!) You can call me a "loser" for painting, or a "dumbass", or stupid even though I'm a senior graduating in the top 25% of his class, but you know I guess we all can't be bright. I can take your words. But don't you dare tell me my mother didn't raise me well and don't sit there and tell me that she should be imprisoned for my actions. I have already accepted responsibly for my painting once and I dealt with the consequences of it.

Next, I can't even believe you're comparing LA to......well....ANYWHERE ELSE... epically on this subject. LA's graffiti is WAY to different from any east coast city. (Maybe not NY, but I haven't painted up there and don't know what the scene is like). The graff problem in Philly is, I would say, on a scale of 10, it's a 4.5 or 5. In LA, I haven't painted there or hell even been there but I've seen pics and vids and friends have told me how much graff there is there. LA would probably be around a 9 or 9.5 (Correct me if I'm wrong because I would care to know, Thanks.)

Next, you talk about Latinos tagging gang graffiti, well I'm just letting you know buddy, I'm not talking about gang graffiti!!! Obviously gang graffiti is bad and visually polluting the streets, but that's not the type of graff I'm talking about. There is different types. (Ex. Gang, Writers Graff). There is a major difference between gang graffiti and actual graff that a talented writer would paint. Yes, people use glass to etch spots, I've known people who use acid to burn it into bus windows. (But i haven't honestly never done anything like this, it's not art and it just looks trashy.)

Finally, I just want to reiterate what I said, please don't judge your view of graffiti on just LA. (But you obviously have) It's far more beautiful in cities such as Philly and Pittsburgh (I've seen) because it's NOT everywhere.

~Keep Painting.

I live in Pittsburgh and really don't agree with you. If it is not your personal property, don't paint on it. Period. Graffiti that you consider art is simple vandalism to me. If you really can't express your art with a canvas and need a wall (god knows why you can't just paint on a giant piece of paper, other than to get the ego trip that comes from doing something illegal), petition the city to create walls for murals.

Graffiti is vandalism and shows a lack of basic respect for anyone but yourself.

Also, even if you don't paint houses/private property, you are showing others that graffiti is OK. You add to a culture that ruins the visual landscape of a city.

Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies