Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2010, 01:23 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times

Advertisements

LOL. I have always been amused by this! I wonder if people feel disappointment when they know death is close and they missed out on the big TA-DA disappearing act.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 01:31 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,790,658 times
So lets say he does come back, if he doesn't identify himself will the Jews claim him to be their Messiah?

Old 06-24-2010, 01:50 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,070,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Golly, HD, please do it again. Please try to remember that these people were trying to quote Him and writing about the same story.
They were trying alright. Their success however was uneven at best. Leaving the anomalous Gospel of John out of the equation just for the moment, have fun trying to reconcile the "synoptics" on basic stories like... oh, say the resurrection.

A fascinating amount of diversity for three books supposedly overseen by a single divine editor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy
I have always been interested in how all those people told the same story.
"All those people?" To whom are you referring? Certainly you are not including all the writers of "Gospels," since that would require you consider the larger number of gnostic texts that tell rather different stories. It hardly takes an act of God to make it look like everybody is telling the same story if you ignore all the ones that don't.

I mean... that one's pretty easy even for conservatives to figure out.

Quote:
I find it interesting to consider how all those Catholic monks managed to keep writing all those words in longhand, since there were no printing presses in the Middle Ages, and keep telling the same story since they didn't all work in the same monasteries and many never met each other.
You find it interesting that monks actually managed to copy texts that they intended to copy? Okay. I admit I don't hold humans to the same exacting standards I would hold a competent God, but I do generally assume that when a person devotes his effort to making a copy of something the result will likely be something along the lines of a copy of what they intended to copy.

But that's just me.

Quote:
This indicates a lot of what the Bible must be about and the very sincerity of what is in it but I don't expect you to see that.
Well then I guess you's have to conclude that Aeschylus's tragedy The Persians is even more "sincere" than the Gospels, since it is that much older and came down to us in pretty much the same way.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Does that Bible say that those who told the Story were scientists, biologists, or such like.
Last I looked, you did not need to be either a scientist or a biologist to count to six.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I didn't include that verse because it doesn't refer to His return to earth, as in the second coming, which is the topic of this thread. There are various interpretations of that verse, (as you may know but did not disclose) but a the generally accepted one is that, in context, it refers to His transfiguration.
"Various interpretations" would hardly be necessary had Jesus just gotten his prophecy right.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:42 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Great. 41% believe the star character of a fairy tale is coming to save them from reality. 'God' help us all.
I would say that appealing to God for anything after what you preceded it with would possible be a waste of time

Old 06-24-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
When it came to bailing out Wall Street they moved very fast.

And there are people on these boards who would love for government to move with lightning speed in deporting illegal immigrants who don't speak English, even if Jesus Christ happens to be one of them.
God in any of His forms can act with much more speed than you want to think he can.

Did many Republicans vote for any bailouts? I know the Dems can act very fast because they proved it voting on them.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:45 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,193,585 times
I read somewhere that most illegal border crossers from Mexico have multiple apprehensions, some as many as six times when they are processed.

So yeah, I think Jesus will be back. So will Juan.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartacusTheSpartan View Post
What are you talking about!

No offence but due research.

Bill Gates: Atheist
Warren Buffet: Atheist
CARL SAGAN: Atheist
93% of sciencetists: Atheists
10% of America's population and 0.2% of America's prison: Atheist
Isaac Asimov: Atheist
Noam Chomsky: Atheist
Francis Crick: Atheist
Marie Curie: Atheist
Richard Dawkins: Atheist
Daniel Dannett: Atheist
Stephen Gould: Atheist
Massimo Pigliucci: Atheist
Steven Pinker: Atheist
Karl Popper: Athiest
Michael Shermer: Atheist
James Watson: Atheist
E.O. Wilson: Atheist

(I include Athiests, Buddhists, Agnostics and people of Athiestic religions.)
No, I'm not dissing religion but Atheists on Average have 5 point higher IQ then Churchgoers.

Whippy DOO! 1 (JUST ONE) Really smart Christian. Remember people Plural beats Singular action.

Just sayin'
I guess most of the really smart atheists never heard of C-D since so few are here these days.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:50 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, but why is it because someone believes in God, they are considered unintelligent? I am a firm believer, and I consider myself to be pretty damn intelligent. I mean, I keep an open mind, and I don't rule anything out when it comes to most topics. Who knows whether he is coming back in 2050 or not? I guess that we'll find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies