Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 08:19 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering what the results would be if instead of 2050 the question was posed "in your lifetime?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 08:19 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,439,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Believing He will return is Christianity.

Believing He will return by 2050 (i.e., in your lifetime) is narcissism.

That's the problem.

Why?

Old 06-24-2010, 08:21 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
How absolutely weird. Notice the relation between education level and the belief..

Poll: 41 percent expect Jesus by 2050 - UPI.com

I find nothing extraordinary about this finding. Nor do I find anything extraordinary about the fact that believers are slightly less educated than the American public.

The education aspect is in keeping with long standing trends. People who have a deep belief in Christianity tend to be slightly less educated than the population at large. Generally the most educated have no particular religious conviction.

Further, the bible is replete with reference to “the soon coming” of Christ. So it makes perfect sense that 41% of Americans would hold some eschatological position that Christ will come within their lifetime.

I suspect that this number is drastically lower even among Evangelicals than it was in the 1970’s when the world was vastly less stable. If one were to do this poll in 1973 or so I suspect that number would be closer to 60%.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:22 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I'm a Christian, and I've always been taught that nobody knows when He will return.
Me too.

But I also find it interesting that the OP had to, once again try to put down Christians with the education level remark. I bet this poll, data is very scientifically based. wink wink!

Old 06-24-2010, 08:23 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The liberal inference-

Christians are idiot hillbillies.

My wife has an MBA, a masters in nursing, and used to be a hospital administrator. She believes this will happen as well and is no idiot.

I think the more shocking notion is the liberals who believe that continued deficit spending will not result in national insolvency if left unchecked. Now that is very strange.
Sadly Hawkeye, I am unable to rep this post.... maybe someone who can will rep you for me?

You are soooooo completely right! LOL!

Old 06-24-2010, 08:24 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
That's nice for your wife. Yet according to the poll, if she believes JC is coming back soon, she's in the distinct minority (19%) among educated people.

This is a belief driven by the uneducated.. Something you can say for all religions.
Again- liberals truely believe all Christians are idiots. They are fed this notion by thier handlers and embrace this propaganda.

My measured IQ is 156. I am a Christian. I have a BS, a masters, and an MD degree. I have over 20 papers published in the peer reviewed medical literature. I guess I would not be considered an idiot by objective standards, but by liberal standards- I am an idiot. I can tell you that the brightest men I have known in science were and are Christians. Science and religion are only incompatible to those who have a cursory understanding of both.

I do not condemn atheists as 'idiots", as I feel everyone should chooses thier own path and come to thier own conclusions. I do strongly feel as those who condemn Christians as idiots tend to dogmatic liberals with marginal intelligence who simply cannot fathom possibilities beyond their physical reach. There is a big difference between these types and the "live and let live" atheists, who do not condemn others for not being atheists.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:24 AM

"believers are slightl less educated than the American public." Now we are excluding "believers" from being considered part of the American public? lol!

Old 06-24-2010, 08:25 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,093,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Let me ask you all something say

Your child is really really sick in the hosp and they are running test on your child. Do you not have faith that your child is going to get better. Or are you just doom and gloom your child is doing to die

When your child or loved one walks outside for the day do you not believe or have faith that they will return home safe?

When you wake up in the morning do you not believe that you will live to go back to sleep in that bed?

It is no different then having faith that there is a GOD.
All the things you've mentioned are much different than having faith in God.

First, it depends on the prognosis of my child. Does my child have a typically-incurable form of cancer or a throat ache? This would be the deciding factor as to whether or not I am relieved, knowing it will be okay or whether I am doom or gloom. (And even if I felt discouraged, I would of course put on my happy face for my poor child.)

I also believe that I will return to my bed safely each night because, a) I don't work a dangerous profession, b) I don't live in a dangerous neighborhood, c) As a 24-year old man, I have returned to my bed over 8,760 times before in my life. Those statistics really don't leave a whole lot of worry in your mind, do they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Really what law are they trying to enact that is so terrible? How is it any different when there is say abortion that they see as terrible but yet you support that. So what only you can have things your way and everyone that doesnt agree just has to suck it up and live with it. But you cant?
Oh how I wish your last sentence was true.

The Texas Textbook Massacre: 'Christian Conservative Voting Bloc' on the Attack | NewsBusters.org

This was reported on every single mainstream news outlet in the U.S. a few weeks back so I'm sure you remember. I think this is an example of what the previous poster was referring to: legislating your morality for everyone else. And rewriting/angling history and our children's educations to do it. It's things like this that make people like myself and others very irritated.

The difference between that and abortion? Abortion, as much as you don't wish to believe it, doesn't affect you or anyone you know. It doesn't affect me, it doesn't affect you, it doesn't affect anyone that we know. There's a quote I like: "If you don't believe in abortion, then don't have one." I'm against late-term abortions and I believe there should be stringent tests and requirements to being a parent anyway - but I don't believe in legislating my beliefs against anyone else.

--

As a note, I hope you don't take offense to my post(s). You seem quite respectful and have added good things to the thread that I appreciate. If my post comes off a little too direct, I apologize - I don't mean for it to.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:26 AM

Beievers are now "hillbillies." Why oh why are certain people so threatened by believers? Because really, if they weren't threatened they wouldn't go on and on with their comments, and put downs, asides, and mocking. Why are they so fearful of believers?

Old 06-24-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Again- liberals truely believe all Christians are idiots. They are fed this notion by thier handlers and embrace this propaganda.

My measured IQ is 156. I am a Christian. I have a BS, a masters, and an MD degree. I have over 20 papers published in the peer reviewed medical literature. I guess I would not be considered an idiot by objective standards, but by liberal standards- I am an idiot. There is a big difference between these types and the "live and let live" atheists.

I can tell you that the brightest men I have known in science were and are Christians. Science and religion are only incompatible to those who have a cursory understanding of both. . . .
This is without a doubt the best post I have read in my short time on CD.
I agree completely. The brightest men in science are Christians.
And the fact that you are not threatened by atheist, and don't put them down and mock them and belittle them says a lot about your character and your intellect. Thanks you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies