Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Congress Funded Continued FEDERAL Unemployment Insurance for the LONG TERM Unemployed?
Yes, keep the checks coming until the economy goes back to normal 52 42.98%
Stop it at 99 weeks, no longer 26 21.49%
There should be no Federally Funded Unemployment Extensions 36 29.75%
There should be no unemployment insurance for anyone State or Federal (Work or Die!) 7 5.79%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 08:34 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,510,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambarstone View Post
Craziest comment yet. Any job???? Well, sorry I can't. I was making 68K and barely making it. Why would I accept a $10/hour job to make 350/400 a week if I can get $500 and save the cost of going to work? . . .

And it is NOT the gov payroll. I got tons of taxes taken out for years to cover this dry spell and then some. Unemployment is not Welfare.
Unemployment is a government social program, it is in fact a form of welfare.
After a while, at some point I do think you should take ANY job as opposed to living out of the envelope. Yes. I would think it would be gratifying to do something rather than accept money from the gov't.

You can still search for a better job. Fact is that most people will not accept a job while they are receiving benefits from the govt. And fact is most people think they are worth more $ than they really are.

Another face is that this country can't afford to pay out 2 years of unemployment. You may never make 68K a year again. And you say you were barely making it. Sometimes we have to take stock and change our lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 08:34 PM

814 posts, read 666,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But the administration says we're in a recovery and have been for some months now since the GDP is up and jobs are being created EVERY month.

Can't be both you know.
We both know that both the government and the news are trying desperately to avoid real reporting to keep the fear factor to a minimum. If the real news was out even the big spenders would freeze up their spending.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:35 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,113,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
After a while, at some point I do think you should take ANY job as opposed to living out of the envelope. Yes. I would think it would be gratifying to do something rather than accept money from the gov't.

You can still search for a better job. Fact is that most people will not accept a job while they are receiving benefits from the govt. And fact is most people think they are worth more $ than they really are.

Another face is that this country can't afford to pay out 2 years of unemployment. You may never make 68K a year again. And you say you were barely making it. Sometimes we have to take stock and change our lifestyle.
well said

Old 06-26-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:

Unemployment is a state funded program that is getting federal help.

Living out of an envelope? what do you call paying into unemployment for 18 years and collecting for 99 weeks? Is this really comparable to welfare?

We are arguing over $40billion people! this is less than 5% of both the Iraq/Afghanistan War and a minute fraction of the bank bailouts!

Old 06-26-2010, 08:45 PM

43 posts, read 109,602 times
Honestly I don't get unemployment. Why is it a free ride? I know as employees we pay into the system sort of like insurance, but why are you required to only pretend to fill out a couple applications a week? Theres so many people at my school who only go there to extend there unemployment. They only do enough school work to barely pass because they arn't there to learn they just want to continue leaching unemployment. They get free school and books paid for and just **** it away. Seems like a very big waste to me.

My economics teacher told me about way back when he was younger how they had programs that put people to work doing whatever. Building sidewalks, bridges, etc, things that might not be needed at the present moment but got people working. Why not something similar for the unemployed? They could require people that collect unemployment to work a certain number of volunteer hours per week while collecting. It would keep their morale up because they are actually doing something and contributing while collecting a check. They would also have something to tell future employers about what they were doing during their unemployement stretch. Society would be better off because they would be accomplishing things instead of sitting on their ass watching Maury and sending a resume or two through an online database.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanLerJoh View Post
Honestly I don't get unemployment. Why is it a free ride? I know as employees we pay into the system sort of like insurance, but why are you required to only pretend to fill out a couple applications a week? Theres so many people at my school who only go there to extend there unemployment. They only do enough school work to barely pass because they arn't there to learn they just want to continue leaching unemployment. They get free school and books paid for and just **** it away. Seems like a very big waste to me.

My economics teacher told me about way back when he was younger how they had programs that put people to work doing whatever. Building sidewalks, bridges, etc, things that might not be needed at the present moment but got people working. Why not something similar for the unemployed? They could require people that collect unemployment to work a certain number of volunteer hours per week while collecting. It would keep their morale up because they are actually doing something and contributing while collecting a check. They would also have something to tell future employers about what they were doing during their unemployement stretch. Society would be better off because they would be accomplishing things instead of sitting on their ass watching Maury and sending a resume or two through an online database.
FDR founded the first WPA public works project. I'm definitely not opposed to it...as long as they are not paying prison labor fee's and it's not privatized labor ie.. building desks for Office Max!

Old 06-26-2010, 08:52 PM

490 posts, read 1,781,492 times
Quote:

Unemployment is a program that is partially funded by employers and helps people who have lost their job at not fault of their own. You work and lose your job, you collect. People on welfare do not have to work to be able to get money/food stamps and even the biggest offender, Section 8. The economy calls for longer benefits and that is that. Yes, when all my unemployment runs out, I will take a $10/hour or less job. Not a minute earlier. In the mean time, I look for a job. I was the luckiest person alive 15 days after I lost my job: I found a temp assignment for $23/hour. It did not make financial sense to take it but I didn't want to be home sleeping. Unfortunately, it finished and I have never been able to find anything else (8 months now). Very upseting. Do I feel I am a charge to the government? NO!

Old 06-26-2010, 08:52 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,281,483 times
I am not in favor of extending unemployment past 99 weeks. What I AM in favor of is some common sense changes that will allow people to take less than optimal work without being penalized for it. Currently if you take a low paying job and hten get laid off your unemployment benefits will be much lower (possibly zero) than before you took the job. In previous recessions congress passed laws to fix that but they expired and they have not done so this time around.
I would also pass a law that allowed you to work and still collect a portion of your unemployment where the amount collected would be the previous amount minus the amount earned at your new job. That way people could take whatever work was available and starting getting back in to the system without being penalized for doing so. My solutions encourage work and not dependance on the government... which is why Pelosi and Reed's congress will never go for it.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:56 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,113,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambarstone View Post
Yes, when all my unemployment runs out, I will take a $10/hour or less job. Not a minute earlier.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:58 PM

25,040 posts, read 27,794,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post
A number of people I know are unemployed and all they can talk about is the debate in Congress about FEDERALLY FUNDED EXTENDED Unemployment Coverage. These friends and relatives who are long term unemployed are nearing the end of their extended coverage and are still no closer to a job. In fact many believe that it is unlikely they will find anything in the next year or two until the recession finally ends. So they believe they should be eligible to collect unemployment benefits until the jobless rate goes back to normal.

What do you think? Should Congress find the money to somehow pay for extending the unemployment benefits for the LONG TERM UNEMPLOYED beyond the 99 week limit? Answer my poll and discuss. (I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT REGULAR STATE UNEMPLOYED BENEFITS FOR THE NEWLY UNEMPLOYED)
Is there a reason why your last option has work or die in parenthesis? Trying to skew the answers are we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies