Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 01:59 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
The two wars and the Bush tax cuts that both added substantially to our deficit.
the tax cuts were of benifit to just about everyone. We had jobs because of them.
At some point, just like Greece, you run out of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 02:00 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
You're not perplexed at all, so stop feigning innocence. There are times and circumstances where deficit spending is necessary, and even beneficial. This would be one of those times and circumstances.

Lying about the actual costs of an entitlement program in an attempt to win political points is decidedly not an appropriate time to engage in deficit spending. It serves no benefit to the country or its populace. It doesn't protect us from enemies from abroad. It doesn't stave off a recession or depression, and it certainly doesn't dig us out of one so deep that huge financial institutions and major manufacturers have literally gone bankrupt.

Priorities.
If this is surely one of those times when we have to keep going into debt in order to "buy us out of debt" can you explain why the G8 people told Obama to be more like they have become. It didn't work for them and it isn't working here so maybe a bit more frugal spending might be in order, at least they think it is.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:00 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Wow, we have entered some parallel universe when the left uses their most hated figure as cover for deficit spending...........

Not even an average NeoCon attempt at deflection

You were the one who stated: "What you and Mr. Pearlman of Easllake don't understand is , there will be no returning to work unless the deficit is addressed"

I simply posted what one of the NeoConfused heroes has stated about deficits and questioned its veracity vs. your statement.

And hate? You flatter the Dick waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much. That tired old has-been political hack isn't worth the energy a good healthy hate requires. If anything I feel sorry for him, facing his eternity knowing he'll pick what he planted in life.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:01 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NarlyNel View Post
I love Christie, he is not taking any BS. He knows what has to be done and he is doing it. The whiney Teacher's union had its day. Now its our turn.
He is the best, we are lucky to have him.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:03 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Yep, exactly. They only give a rat's ass about the deficit when it's politically expedient for them. Otherwise, they spend way worse than Democrats, and never concern themselves with paying for any of their tax cuts or programs.

Look at the Medicare drug bill debacle for a perfect example. Hundreds of billions of dollars -- not paid for in any way, shape or form.

But what the hell, it's okay when they do it.

both the repubs and democrats are both wrong for spending the way they do, and both parties should be disbanded and all the politicians in those parties jailed for violation of their oath.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
You're not perplexed at all, so stop feigning innocence. There are times and circumstances where deficit spending is necessary, and even beneficial. This would be one of those times and circumstances.

Lying about the actual costs of an entitlement program in an attempt to win political points is decidedly not an appropriate time to engage in deficit spending. It serves no benefit to the country or its populace. It doesn't protect us from enemies from abroad. It doesn't stave off a recession or depression, and it certainly doesn't dig us out of one so deep that huge financial institutions and major manufacturers have literally gone bankrupt.

Priorities.
Who is lying? The CBO who said health care will add $59 billion to the debt? Or maybe Obama who said our debt load was unsupportable?

Hiring will not start until business knows what their costs will be. The cost of health care to employers is largely unknown. And where it is known it is so bad the administration accused them of lying.

The ObamaCare Writedowns - WSJ.com

"It's been a banner week for Democrats: ObamaCare passed Congress in its final form on Thursday night, and the returns are already rolling in. Yesterday AT&T announced that it will be forced to make a $1 billion writedown due solely to the health bill, in what has become a wave of such corporate
losses."

"Meanwhile, Henry Waxman and House Democrats announced yesterday that they will haul these companies in for an April 21 hearing because their judgment "appears to conflict with independent analyses, which show that the new law will expand coverage and bring down costs.""

Until...

AP Report Gives Waxman Cover for Cancelled Hearings on Corporate ObamaCare Expense Recognition | NewsBusters.org

"An April 14 memorandum from the Committee on Energy and Commerce Majority Staff informed the Democratic hounds that the “companies acted properly and in accordance with accounting standards in submitting filings to the Securities and Exchange Commission in March and April.†Indeed, after haggling about the overall impact of the health care mandate on firms’ annual company cash flows, the staff memo acknowledged that notifying shareholders of these big one-time company write-downs was “required†by law."

If the administration can't figure it out what do you expect from business?

Old 06-27-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Not even an average NeoCon attempt at deflection

You were the one who stated: "What you and Mr. Pearlman of Easllake don't understand is , there will be no returning to work unless the deficit is addressed"

I simply posted what one of the NeoConfused heroes has stated about deficits and questioned its veracity vs. your statement.

And hate? You flatter the Dick waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much. That tired old has-been political hack isn't worth the energy a good healthy hate requires. If anything I feel sorry for him, facing his eternity knowing he'll pick what he planted in life.
Tsk, tsk, tsk, I never new poor old Dick was a hero of yours, you do seem obsessed with the dear fellow. However, what was the deficit when old Dick said that? What was the unemployment rate? You get the picture.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:20 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Tsk, tsk, tsk, I never new poor old Dick was a hero of yours, you do seem obsessed with the dear fellow. However, what was the deficit when old Dick said that? What was the unemployment rate? You get the picture.
A hero of mine? You're delusional.

You apparently don't get the picture. It was a blanket statement he made, you claimed things don't get moving until the deficit's addressed, The Dick said they don't matter. I'm just trying to figure out which is the truth, a very difficult task when the NeoConfused are speaking.

You seem obsessed with defending lies, we just don't know who's right now

Old 06-27-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
A hero of mine? You're delusional.

You apparently don't get the picture. It was a blanket statement he made, you claimed things don't get moving until the deficit's addressed, The Dick said they don't matter. I'm just trying to figure out which is the truth, a very difficult task when the NeoConfused are speaking.

You seem obsessed with defending lies, we just don't know who's right now
Meh, I know the left has to keep the focus on Old Dick and GW as looking at their own administration is simply too painful. Even the Europeans finally get it.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:42 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
the tax cuts were of benifit to just about everyone. We had jobs because of them.
At some point, just like Greece, you run out of money.
Not really, only 3 million jobs were created under the Bush Administration. The Clinton Administration created over 20 million.

And I wasn't saying they didn't create jobs. I am saying they substantially increased the deficit. We can't be choosy about when it's ok and when it's not ok to increase the deficit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies