Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2007, 06:13 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times

Advertisements

So the states rights folks were liberal, while the strong nationalists were conservative?

How did we come up with this one?

Old 06-23-2007, 06:25 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
So the states rights folks were liberal, while the strong nationalists were conservative? How did we come up with this one?
Easy. Just abandon all context. Or nuance, as some like to call it. Republican is Republican, Democrat is Democrat...what else would you need (or bother) to know?

Old 06-23-2007, 09:43 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAINTUCK View Post
Well...well...well...Hello Burdell. O.K. so it's been awhile, so I fergot he was one of Jimmy's brethren from the great state of Georgia. I see you didn't challenge the great truths of the rest of my post. Thought you was gonna quit talkin to me Burdell? You learned anything since the last time we spoke?

Can't say I learned anything new except seeing you confirm you have no qualms about putting forth statements as fact when they're not.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:54 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,257,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post

Freeing the slaves WAS a move to the left. It's simply a move to the left with which you agree. Do you hold the "left" in such contempt that you cannot admit that some of it's principles have some merit?
That is strictly your opinion. . .

Which principles exactly are you refering to? Off hand I can't think of a one that has "merit."

Old 06-23-2007, 09:56 PM

626 posts, read 992,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAINTUCK View Post
For cryin out loud A...L., How the dickens does rich white men of those days translate to Democrats or Republicans? The fact is undeniable that Democrats are race baiters that pander to any minority that will fall for it that they are going to give them some sort of special treatment...and they would...to the reverse discrimination of us all.
Democrats have not always been liberals. Perhaps my previous posts didn't make this clear. The ideologies of political parties change. Right now, the democratic party is on the verge of collapse because they can't come up with a single good idea. That doesn't mean the republican party is any better. In fact, lately (the last 6 years) they've been even worse.

Quote:
Fact is they don't give a rat's pattuty about anything but power. You hear the same rhetoric for 40 years and both politcal parties are plain and simple pandering liars.
If you think republicans aren't the same, then you are very naive. Both parties care only about securing power.

Quote:
However, when I cast a vote I am just opposite of most people I hear when they say," I vote for the man". Bull..it! If you have a brain in your head you vote for the philosophy of right versus wrong. It may just be that the Ahole you got was just as bad as the one you didn't. However, you met your just obligation to society and to yourself.
LOL. This statement could be any more simple. It lacks any depth, whatsoever.

Quote:
The conservative movement is not recent. The only thing really different is the conservatives have been empowered by the voice of conservative radio and FOX news, -this is a recent phenom. Thank goodness for that. I grew up with Walter Cronkite spouting liberal junk since I was a boy. Ain't no boy now. Sure as hell ain't no gullable liberalite.
Conservatives have been around as long as politics. They have not always been republicans, though. That is what I said. Perhaps you should read my previous post again.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:14 PM

Conservatives have indeed been around for a very long time, but these are hardly heard from today. Overrun, they were, by what is a new breed, the turncoat flip-floppers who didn't have the stomach to stand up for their views or principles as Democrats, and so fled to a moribund Republican Party, tossing out the Conservatives and forging an unholy alliance with the radical Christian Right for the mere political convenience of acquiring a means for controlling votes. With such as Karl Rove then borrowing tobacco-company propaganda tactics as honed and perfected by that same Christian Right, we have come to what we have today -- America as a disaster area. Don't blame Liberals, don't blame Conservatives. It is very much the Neocons who have made this bed, but it is all of us who now have to lie in it. Thanks, guys...

Old 06-24-2007, 06:36 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,938 times
Okay saganista..... Right now I see what you're talking about in the other thread....

Gentlemen, let's clear some things up by defining some terms simplistically (yet functionally).

Right = Conservative = A relative philosophy that likes the way things are or the way things used to be and is resistant to change.

Left = Liberal/Progressive = A relative philosophy which strives for change and (perceived) "forward" movement in society.

The difference in the philosophies primarily is in what should be changed and what should not which is where the functionality of Conservatism comes into play. Otherwise, of course, who wouldn't want "progress"???

Now Republicans have not always been the "Right", nor have they always been "Conservative"..... At ther origin they were pretty liberal calling for the end of slavery and giving settlers land in the west for free. So yes, freeing the slaves was a move left.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:37 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Conservatives have indeed been around for a very long time, but these are hardly heard from today. Overrun, they were, by what is a new breed, the turncoat flip-floppers who didn't have the stomach to stand up for their views or principles as Democrats, and so fled to a moribund Republican Party, tossing out the Conservatives and forging an unholy alliance with the radical Christian Right for the mere political convenience of acquiring a means for controlling votes. With such as Karl Rove then borrowing tobacco-company propaganda tactics as honed and perfected by that same Christian Right, we have come to what we have today -- America as a disaster area. Don't blame Liberals, don't blame Conservatives. It is very much the Neocons who have made this bed, but it is all of us who now have to lie in it. Thanks, guys...
While our philosophies differ greatly, my dissatisfaction with this administration makes me agree with this entirely....

Old 06-24-2007, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
While our philosophies differ greatly, my dissatisfaction with this administration makes me agree with this entirely....
Ah, the elusive (particularly here) common ground. Interestingly perhaps, this very post was red-dotted by an anonymous poster (presumably one of the neocon dogmatics) for having been 'off topic'. Go figure...

Old 06-24-2007, 08:28 AM
PPG

509 posts, read 1,423,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
I agree 110%.

Also, I too have gotten red dots for proving a neo-con wrong. I guess they can't go back and tell Sean and Rush that they were wrong so they take it out on me/us. These are the type of mature people we are dealing with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies