Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 11:38 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,728,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
and your ignorance assumes i am only thinking about pollution any one car produces. Lol... Consider cost (environmental and otherwise) of production please (for your truck and your toys)

my truck was already produced in 1994, that "cost" as you put it, was done and over long ago. By keeping it on the road longer, it precludes the cost of a replacement.........your argument is null.

you assume giving up a car is giving up comfort and you call me brainwashed? Good job bashing something i bet you have never tried... I walk to the grocery store right now, are you really telling me you need a truck to pick up groceries? How much, exactly, do you eat?

i spend a fair amount of time on my feet everyday as a part of my job. I dont need a truck to pick up groceries, but why would i drive my truck past several grocery stores to park it at home, and get into a smaller vehicle to drive back to the store? Try thinking....... Your argument is null.

careful, your arrogance belies small-mindedness and ignorance.

Cars are quickly becoming useless to me. Unless you are selling a bicycle or commuter train, i doubt any of my money will make its way to people like you.

well, bully for you!!!! If you dont need a car, dont have one, but just because you dont need one doesnt mean everyone else doesnt, nor should they conform to your style of life.

the reliance on personal vehicles for long-distance travel as we do now is a very modern idea (only coming about in roughly the last 100 years). This was only made possible by the discovery and inception of networks of fossil-fuel powered vehicles. In the relatively near future (40-50 years or so) fossil fuels will decline to the point where it begins to impact price beyond inflation, and when that happens (as infrastructure is nowhere near ready for any other fueling method for personal vehicles for suburbanites) cities and light-urban areas will see a population boom that is wholly unexpected by people like yourself. As a result, the 'toys' you claim to make money hauling will slowly decline in use, eating at your business.

i already explained i wont be using fossil fuels much longer. Continuing to ignore that fact, doesnt add any credence to your argument. Which is, again, null.

tell me - if gas has risen to the price where people stop buying suv's and trucks (which is predicted to happen around $6/gal btw), why would they still spend money on gas-powered 'toys'?

those that had the foresight to obtain diesel powered vehicles will have an alternative. Do some research before continuing to spout off about what you obviously have no knowledge of.

do you really think personal recreational boating and rving will take place in the post-suv, pro-small car world?

absolutly. There are still many large yachts i care for every day. Dropping several thousand dollars to fill the fuel tanks and go for a ride doesnt phase the folks that are able to afford the $1 million plus it cost for the vessel in the first place.

your business plan is flawed. Sorry champ.

as demonstrated, your arguments are filled with holes, and misinformation. You dont even have a concept of whom would utilise my business, muchless whom would be victimizing themselves by using yours. But a quick look in the mirror might be a start. Sorry sport.
yc.......

Last edited by Compression; 06-28-2010 at 12:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 11:42 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,889 times
A Leaf would not work for my family. Even if it were just me, I would no way drive one of those. You would not survive a wreck, in that little thing, sorry.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:06 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I've often thought about 'large vehicle parking', especially since SUV/large truck drivers seem to be the most inconsiderate people out there when it comes to parking. They don't even think twice before parking their Excursion in the compact spots (yes, spotS) with the SUVs rear end sticking out 6 feet.

Both me and my hubby drive small cars which have actually helped us get out of potential accidents on more than one occasion.... Our S2000 has AMAZING handling capabilities and we can swerve out of the way pretty quickly to avoid getting hit by some idiot on a cell phone.

If you want to drive an SUV fine...but please realize that your vehicle is larger than most and take that into account when you're merging, or turning, or parking or anything along those lines...you can't treat a Suburban like a Honda Del Sol (which...we also have )

And it's kind of funny... I see people picking on smart cars, or the Leaf or cars of that type...but I don't see anyone picking on Mini Coopers, Lambourghinis, Porsches or anything along those lines, and those are pretty tiny cars

Any of the high end/high priced vehicles (of any size) that are carbon fiber bodied, pretty much self destruct when in contact with a sparrow..............but they do go 150+

Old 06-28-2010, 12:10 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
In our case, no, I would not consider walking. Then again, it is over 40 miles roundtrip to the grocery store.

Also, we do a lot of our shopping at places like Costco and Sam's Club more so than a "regular" store.
fair enough. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I'm trying to envision walking home from the grocery store with the 10 bags, plus jug of laundry detergant and bag of potatoes that I bought on the last trip.
The 30 miles isn't even the issue. I wouldn't make it out of the parking lot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I don't believe the other poster understands what it takes shopping for a family
I buy the majority of groceries online. I only buy fresh (meat, cheese, fruit, veggies) locally. Having them delivered cuts down significantly. The internet has brought about many great options for online grocery stores. I also use a service that delivers local produce to my door once a week. For seasonal fruits/veggies it is actually cheaper than a grocery store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post

my truck was already produced in 1994, that "cost" as you put it, was done and over long ago. By keeping it on the road longer, it precludes the cost of a replacement.........your argument is null.
So you will never need a new truck? Interesting...

Quote:
i spend a fair amount of time on my feet everyday as a part of my job. I dont need a truck to pick up groceries, but why would i drive my truck past several grocery stores to park it at home, and get into a smaller vehicle to drive back to the store? Try thinking....... Your argument is null.
You missed my point champ. Why drive at all if there is an option to do otherwise? My original post was about the 25% of driving trips that are under 1 mile long. Did you read that part?

Quote:
well, bully for you!!!! If you dont need a car, dont have one, but just because you dont need one doesnt mean everyone else doesnt, nor should they conform to your style of life.
It isn't the lifestyle that is important, it is helping the environment and relieving the burden of cost that the automobile industry places on this country. Imagine the financial position of this country if the government didn't need to bail out the auto industry and had that money to spend otherwise....

Quote:
i already explained i wont be using fossil fuels much longer. Continuing to ignore that fact, doesnt add any credence to your argument. Which is, again, null.
And yet your business model relies on other people using gas! Do you get that?

Quote:
those that had the foresight to obtain diesel powered vehicles will have an alternative. Do some research before continuing to spout off about what you obviously have no knowledge of.
Do you realize where diesel comes from? Sure, diesel will prop the automobile industry up for a while longer, but diesel cannot sustain $8-9/gal gas prices (which is unfortunately, inevitable)

Quote:
absolutly. There are still many large yachts i care for every day. Dropping several thousand dollars to fill the fuel tanks and go for a ride doesnt phase the folks that are able to afford the $1 million plus it cost for the vessel in the first place. Your narrow minded view of the real world
Your business is a 20th century model in a 21st century world.

Quote:
as demonstrated, your arguments are filled with holes, and misinformation. You dont even have a concept of whom would utilise my business, muchless whom would be victimizing themselves by using yours. But a quick look in the mirror might be a start. Sorry sport.
lol... I have a very good idea who would utilize your business (they are the people who work with me on a daily basis!).

People are not 'victimizing' themselves by listening to me. 10 years from now when the exodus from the suburbs is in full force (look up the term 'bright flight') and people like you realize how attractive that townhouse five miles from downtown is, give me a call. I am the guy who will own that property

Business models should look to the future to predict trends, not play off of what has been successful in the past. If it were 20 years ago I would say you have a great idea, but unfortunately today it is 2010, not 1990.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:11 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
The discussion will be over when the oil is over. Until then, enjoy the empowerment to ensconce one's ~150lb body in 4,000lb to 6,000lb of manmade materials and imagine that this is as God intended. I came of age during the height of gas siphoning, gas theft, drive offs and other mayhem surrounding the oil crisis of the late 70's. Cars got a lot smaller in a hurry. Then, crisis forgotten they inched back up in size culminating in civilian examples of military vehicles and SUV's like the Avalanche and Escalade. When the deepwater oil wells are exhausted there will be nowhere else to go for oil. Just saying.

H

Old 06-28-2010, 12:36 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
People who want to see us get off fossil fuels, would you feel safe driving or riding as a passenger in a Leaf?
Yep. Smaller cars are inevitable, as are higher gas prices. Just see how quickly the fad from truck based SUVs died and "SUV" replaced by "CUVs".

Quote:
When you answer would you mention if you mostly do city, suburban, rural or highway driving and whether you commute to work by car or take public transportation? Tell me your political identity (liberal, radical, conservative, moderate, libertarian, etc.), too.
Progressive/liberal. Ideal would be public transportation but Dallas area could still use a lot of development in the area. Work remotely from home a lot anyway. My driving is mixed.

Quote:
If you are a parent, would you let your teen drive one? Would you put a baby in one?
Yes.

Quote:
Would gung-ho environmentalists go for this car, safety be da*ned?
While I may not qualify as whatever "gung-ho" environmentalist means, I do care for the air I breathe and surround myself with. I do care about conservation of resources, and I do care about doing my part in reducing trade deficit that is killing this country, for as much as I can. I would consider this car.

Quote:
Would a city person that only tools around in the city feel safer than someone who drives on highways in one of those little cars?
As someone who drives all over, I see no reason to drive and live scared. It might be interesting to note that in a major accident I witnessed (four vehicle), the only serious injury and one death happened in the largest one. Vehicles involved... Wrangler (the idiot chose to overtake from the shoulder), clipping a Taurus which clipped a Civic and which clipped an Explorer which flipped a few times.

Quote:
How about people who drive trucks or tractor trailers? Would you be afraid of getting into an accident with someone who drives one of those little cars because you think what is now merely a fender bender might be a death in one of them?
Alarmism.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:

so you will never need a new truck? Interesting...

no, i have the knowledge to rebuild, and repair what wears out, breaks.

you missed my point champ. Why drive at all if there is an option to do otherwise? My original post was about the 25% of driving trips that are under 1 mile long. Did you read that part?

i dont have that option, if you do, great.

it isn't the lifestyle that is important, it is helping the environment and relieving the burden of cost that the automobile industry places on this country. Imagine the financial position of this country if the government didn't need to bail out the auto industry and had that money to spend otherwise....

lol. And imagine where we would be if there was never an automobile industry. The 19th century?

BTW, I've probably already done more to lower my "carbon" footprint by utilizing bio fuels, propane, and solar power than you ever will.

You clearly lack the fundamental knowledge to know what's real, and what is just another corporate scam foisted upon you in the form of small unsafe vehicles, which by the way, you will happily fork over your hard earned dough to the same automobile corporations you disparage, in order to own.

and yet your business model relies on other people using gas! Do you get that?

and that is their choice, do you get that?

do you realize where diesel comes from? Sure, diesel will prop the automobile industry up for a while longer, but diesel cannot sustain $8-9/gal gas prices (which is unfortunately, inevitable)

do you know where bio diesel comes from?, obviously not, that entire paragraph is bs.

your business is a 20th century model in a 21st century world.

so be it, as long as my customers continue to operate in 20th century mode, so can i. You expect the world to turn on a dime, because you say so?

lol... I have a very good idea who would utilize your business (they are the people who work with me on a daily basis!).

maybe, maybe not. My original thought was that as people downsize to use less fuel(what you advocate) they will invariably need to use the services of someone that still has a vehicle capable of doing the occasional heavy jobs they will no longer be able to do with their smaller vehicles. Why that is so difficult for you to understand is beyond me.

people are not 'victimizing' themselves by listening to me. 10 years from now when the exodus from the suburbs is in full force (look up the term 'bright flight') and people like you realize how attractive that townhouse five miles from downtown is, give me a call. I am the guy who will own that property

business models should look to the future to predict trends, not play off of what has been successful in the past. If it were 20 years ago i would say you have a great idea, but unfortunately today it is 2010, not 1990.

i couldnt care less what you, or anyone else does. Just dont try to force me to comply with your wishes. Feel free to demonize me all you like, you have already proven you know not, of what you speak
yc.......

Last edited by Compression; 06-28-2010 at 01:06 PM..

Old 06-28-2010, 01:33 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
yachtcare - I honestly don't care what you do, just know you aren't as smart as you think you are.

Be a little less arrogant and you will encounter a little less resistance. I know you don't want to believe it, I know more about this than you. Go ahead and drive around hauling boats for the wealthy. I would rather be the guy with the money to buy the boat to haul than be the guy doing the hauling.

I am not sure why you are bragging about that so much....

We will never agree. This is my last response to you. If you want to know how to become one of the people with the yacht, PM me and I can teach you a thing or two.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:51 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,525,248 times
You don't have to drive such a small car to make a difference.

The average size of the north american car fleet is still pretty big. A "compact car" in the US is a "small family car" in Europe. Too many people own large cars or SUV that they don't really need. Even mid-sized cars are not that useful for one person. And people still own too many cars per household.

Nissan can build the Leaf or another car the size of a lawn mower, it won't stop people from buying the Maxima or Murano.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
yachtcare - I honestly don't care what you do, just know you aren't as smart as you think you are.

Be a little less arrogant and you will encounter a little less resistance. I know you don't want to believe it, I know more about this than you. Go ahead and drive around hauling boats for the wealthy. I would rather be the guy with the money to buy the boat to haul than be the guy doing the hauling.

I am not sure why you are bragging about that so much....

We will never agree. This is my last response to you. If you want to know how to become one of the people with the yacht, PM me and I can teach you a thing or two.
What makes you so certain I dont have one? And hauling them is a very tiny portion of my business. If everyone goes the route you advocate, it would necessarily become a bigger part. See how simple that logic is to follow?

Perhaps you are far more arrogant than you believe yourself to be...

YC....................has had enough of the self righteousness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies