Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 05:43 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times

Advertisements

People who want to see us get off fossil fuels, would you feel safe driving or riding as a passenger in a Leaf? Here's a picture of one:

Nissan Adding Jobs in Tennessee | Cookeville Times | Cookeville, Tennessee News, Weather and Sports | Business (http://www.ucdailynews.com/news/business/97229304.html - broken link)

When you answer would you mention if you mostly do city, suburban, rural or highway driving and whether you commute to work by car or take public transportation? Tell me your political identity (liberal, radical, conservative, moderate, libertarian, etc.), too.

If you are a parent, would you let your teen drive one? Would you put a baby in one?

If you sell insurance or if you just know the answer, can you give me an idea how much this kind of car (by that I mean similar size and weight) would add to your insurance rates? I'm guessing they want to market it to a particular audience but I want to know who you think that audience is. Would all of our rates go up with these teeny cars on the road?

Would gung-ho environmentalists go for this car, safety be da*ned?

Personally, I be scared to death to get in one of those things but I never drive in a big city and maybe that's who the car is meant for. Would a city person that only tools around in the city feel safer than someone who drives on highways in one of those little cars?

How about people who drive trucks or tractor trailers? Would you be afraid of getting into an accident with someone who drives one of those little cars because you think what is now merely a fender bender might be a death in one of them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 05:49 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,344,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
People who want to see us get off fossil fuels, would you feel safe driving or riding as a passenger in a Leaf? Here's a picture of one:

Nissan Adding Jobs in Tennessee | Cookeville Times | Cookeville, Tennessee News, Weather and Sports | Business (http://www.ucdailynews.com/news/business/97229304.html - broken link)

When you answer would you mention if you mostly do city, suburban, rural or highway driving and whether you commute to work by car or take public transportation? Tell me your political identity (liberal, radical, conservative, moderate, libertarian, etc.), too.

If you are a parent, would you let your teen drive one? Would you put a baby in one?

If you sell insurance or if you just know the answer, can you give me an idea how much this kind of car (by that I mean similar size and weight) would add to your insurance rates? I'm guessing they want to market it to a particular audience but I want to know who you think that audience is. Would all of our rates go up with these teeny cars on the road?

Personally, I be scared to death to get in one of those things but I never drive in a big city and maybe that's who the car is meant for. Would a city person that only tools around in the city feel safer than someone who drives on highways in one of those little cars?

How about people who drive trucks or tractor trailers? Would you be afraid of getting into an accident with someone who drives one of those little cars because you think what is now merely a fender bender might be a death in one of them?
I've been driving a MR-2 since 1987 in the big city, and I'm still here (and it can do 100+ MPH and still gets decent millage).
So a leaf wouldn't be much different then a motorcycle or other small vehicle, including my car.

I've gotten out of more jams, that I would not have driving even a mid-sized car.

So if I could fit in one (6'6" in a Leaf? Maybe not) I might consider it, when it's time to get another vehicle.

(please note, I only drive it in the warm months, as it is not a winter vehicle)

Last edited by plannine; 06-27-2010 at 05:58 PM..

Old 06-27-2010, 05:49 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times
I'd drive one. Right now, I don't drive but only because I am looking for a job and really have no real need for a car.

I wouldn't put a teenager in an SUV, though sadly that's the trend around here. And ever year we lost a few at my high school that rolled the SUV mommy and daddy thought was so safe.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:52 PM

45,203 posts, read 26,414,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I'd drive one. Right now, I don't drive but only because I am looking for a job and really have no real need for a car.

I wouldn't put a teenager in an SUV, though sadly that's the trend around here. And ever year we lost a few at my high school that rolled the SUV mommy and daddy thought was so safe.
The SUV rolled because it was an SUV or the drivers were behaving irresponsibly?

Old 06-27-2010, 06:03 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,120 times
Quote:

I drive a Prius and I feel at ease driving one. On the other hand, there's that Smart car that looks like a toy. I'm not sure about that thing. Eventually it comes down to the bowling ball (truck) sending the bowling pin (Smart car) tumbling out of the way upon impact. A lot of vehicles these days have airbags, virtually surrounding the car's passengers. Not only that, if a smaller car gets hit and has its airbags deployed, the car can be used as a raft.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:30 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
I'm going to buy one, the first brand new car I will have purchased since 1990. Until then I'll get by with my 4 cylinder, or drive my 6 cyl truck (205K mi on it) when I need to haul something, or the weather is bad.

Watch "Who Killed The Electric Car?" and you'll realize we can not only do better than the Leaf, we already have done better.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:31 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The SUV rolled because it was an SUV or the drivers were behaving irresponsibly?
SUVs roll easier than most cars. That's just physics. Many parents buy their kids SUVs or pass on their old SUVs to their teen drivers assuming because they are bigger they are safer. I was just pointing out that they are wrong. Bigger isn't always safer.

I have driven in several Smart Cars in Europe and never felt unsafe. I'd do the same in the US if I had the opportunity.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:36 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:

Your point is well taken. They are very dangerous, but so is neutering our foreign policy because we depend on Saudi Arabia and Iran for oil.

The Leaf and other micro-economy vehicles are not the answer by a long shot. But the problem isn't simply the size of the vehicle. It's the materials used to construct it too. Strong and lightweight don't have to be different things, but it will take time, money and a commitment to developing the next generation of super light and super safe vehicles to bring about what will be the new science of vehicle design.

What is happening today puts me in mind of what we did back in the 1970s when the first CAFE standards were imposed and US auto makers simply chopped the back of the vehicles off along with the last two cylinders on the engine. It was a half-hearted attempt to redesign the automobile, and the Leaf seems to be more of the same disinterested effort.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we need a Manhattan Project style initiative to develop 50+MPG vehicles. I generally disapprove of government intervention into the private sector, but this has become a matter of national security. Our dependency on OPEC oil makes us vulnerable to oil embargoes that would cripple our economy and force us to compromise with some of the sleaziest dictators on the planet.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:38 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,894,530 times
All cars need to pass crash tests. Unless the government decided to waive them for this model, which I highly doubt. And doesn't this discussion belong under the automotive forum?

Old 06-27-2010, 06:38 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,246,617 times
The Leaf seats five passengers. I drive a Nisson Versa right now and feel safe until that redneck in a dually barrels up on my tail since I'm not driving 20 miles over the speed limit of 65 MPH.

Yeah, I'd feel safe in a Leaf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies