Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 06:58 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
However, Jamaicans are a historically enslaved and oppressed people, just like African Americans, Afro-Brazilians and the like. Somilians are from a war torn country that has devolved into a culture of violence.
I understand your point of view. But the study was from 2007(your population data was from 2001), and the Polish population in the UK(and thusly London) almost doubled from 2001 to 2007(2004 is the year Poland entered the EU). Secondly, both my data and your data is inconclusive because the study was based on foreigners in London, not foreign ethnic groups in London. In 2001, most of the ethnic groups in London were actually UK citizens. Once the EU expanded into Eastern Europe, the UK became overloaded with Eastern Europeans. According to the articles, between 2004 and 2006 as many as 600,000 people immigrated into Britain mostly from Eastern Europe, and about half of them were Poles. The first article was written in 2007, which was probably in response to this great migration.

Your case is based on incomplete data. And my case is only speculative.

I don't know how many foreigners were in the UK before 2004, but if 600,000 people enter the UK between 2004 and 2006, and if as many as 300,000 of those people were Polish. Then Poles commiting 2,310 crimes seems logical. While a massive upswing in foreigners from Jamaica over the same period of time seems unlikely.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1563890/Foreigners-commit-fifth-of-crime-in-London.html

If you go by the above chart from Jan to June 2007. Then, in a single year Romanian crime jumped 705% in the UK. Why? Because Romania joined the European Union on January 1st, 2007. And with it came a flood of Romanian foreigners. I can't imagine that Romanian crime just jumped 705% in a single year otherwise.

Quote:
If you look at the Homicide rate in Russia.....who are committing those murders? Its certainly not black people. Eastern European nations have more criminality and violence than Western European nations. Is there some geographic anomoly that impacts the genetics of the people of Eastern Europe that makes them commit more crimes....or.....is it simply that they are coming from poorer more oppressed histories than Western Europeans? The same reason that there exist a big difference between the criminality of Eastern and Western European white peoples, is the same reason there exist a difference between the criminality of blacks and whites, in general.
You are pulling out one statistic, homicide rate, and making it indicative of a propensity for crime. The Russian and Polish overall crime rates are much lower than Western Europe per capita. If you went by your logic then Australia and Canada would be the most violent Western countries, because they have the highest rates for rape.

Total crimes (per capita) by country. Definition, graph and map. (http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_tot_cri_percap-crime-total-crimes-per-capita - broken link)

Rapes (per capita) by country. Definition, graph and map.

Russia has an overall crime rate of 20.5 per 1,000 people. Poland is at 32.8 per 1,000 people, and the UK has the 6th highest crime rate in the world at 85.5 per 1,000 people(more than four times more crime per capita than Russia).

When I think of random violence in a population, I think of assault or rape and not murder(murders are almost always very targeted killings not random). And both assaults and rape are extremely low in Eastern Europe compared to the west. The United States has 7.5 assaults per 1,000 people, the UK has 7.4 assaults per 1,000. Poland has .85 assaults per 1,000 people(about 1/9th the rate of the UK).

The reason the murder rate in Russia is so high isn't as simple as you think it is. It isn't from a collapsing and immoral society. Homicide rates in Russia(and other Eastern European countries) weren't high until around the time of the breakup of the Soviet Union. Before the breakup they were about the same as the United States, and in recent years they have fallen very quickly. Most of the high murder rate has to do with criminal elements that moved in after the fall of the Soviet Union, namedly the organized crime rings. The murder rate in Russia today is about half of what it was just 5 years ago.

Crime in Russia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
That having been said...you don't have the numbers of Ghanains, Kenyans, Camaroonians and other African immigrant groups to the UK. One can learn alot by asking why the rate of crime for these blacks is generally much less than it is for blacks who are descendants of slaves in the West.
Ghana isn't a bad place. Obviously it has many issues similar to that of other African nations(I know I wouldn't want to live there). But overall, it is doing better than much of Africa. It is far from the cesspool that South Africa is.

Comparative Criminology | Africa - Ghana

If you scroll down to the part about incidence of crime and INTERPOL. There are some statistics comparing Ghana to Japan and the United States. Where most crime(such as rape and murders) are higher than in Japan, but lower than in the United States. Except assaults, which are about 50% more common in Ghana than in the US. But Ghana is mostly agricultural so its difficult to really compare it to western nations in such categories as burglary, robbery, larceny, fraud, theft, etc.

But the fact that Ghana isn't a total craphole really doesn't surprise me. As a general rule, the further you get away from South Africa, the lower your absolute crime rates. With most of the middle-east and north Africa having some of the lowest "reported" crime rates in the world. But I still wouldn't want to live there.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 07-01-2010 at 07:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 07:08 PM

117 posts, read 65,974 times
Quote:
If you go by the above chart from Jan to June 2007. Then, in a single year Romanian crime jumped 705% in the UK. Why? Because Romania joined the European Union on January 1st, 2007. And with it came a flood of Romanian foreigners. I can't imagine that Romanian crime just jumped 705% in a single year otherwise.
I don't mean to nitpik, but the crime is largely due to Roma Gypsies who beg and steal for a living. Romanians don't like being blamed for that. Just like Irish don't like to be blamed for the behavior of pikeys.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:13 PM

3 posts, read 4,396 times
I am White of German heritage and I am a 5th generation American, My great - grandfather fought in the civil war against slavery in the Union. My grandfathers both fought in WWII. My ancesters built this country to be what it is today. People of color would not be able to have their American life if it were not for the "Whites". People of color have not done this in their own countries so they came here to benefit from what we have built. All the people of color will have to run America on their own in the future and we will see if they can do with it. If you look to their countries of origin you can see that they have not done it there.

I can guarantee that the Europeans will not return and bail them out...

Old 07-05-2010, 12:29 AM

88 posts, read 75,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Truth is, slavery has everything to do with it. This is evidenced by the fact that migrant Africans and expatriate African communities that do not have slavery's legacies do not have as great an inclusion in ant-social behavior. Black skin, however, is in universal in its effect on non-black people. Non-violent black individuals are treated no differently than a bona fide thug with an extensive criminal history. Housing, employment and healthcare options are substandard for all who have black skin. This is at its most egregious in the United States followed by Great Britain and tapering as one moves through the rest of Europe. South America has its issues with black skinned people. However, it has been noted that there are Caribbean Islands: Barbados, Bermuda, Caymans, others where violent crime is low. It would appear that separation from whites is very restorative for the black psyche. Don't bother trying to counter by citing Africa. Africa was overrun with whites and their corrosive influence on less techically developed cultures. The Anglo-Saxon has been the single most destructive force on the planet. The Anglo-Saxon can and will destroy life on this planet and will probably accomplish it within three more generations. KInd of puts some urban black on black crime into perspective, doesn't it??

H
Why do you hate people from the British isles so much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies