Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 08:06 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,572,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
If GW Bush died of a heart attack today, there would be celebrations from the Democratic base.

Do as I say, not as I do, is the mentality of the small people.
There would be celebrations from the Republicans base too. Don't forget. His approval rating was what? 22 percent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 08:22 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times
He was a character in this play called America. I pray for his family.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:35 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
I've never agreed with his politics, but always respected Robert Byrd. His deals as a Klansman notwithstanding, he tended to show thoughtfulness and seemed to be well liked in the Senate by his colleagues
Uh sorry, he doesn't get away that easy in my opinion. You don't just casually join the KKK and lead the opposition against Civil Rights movement. His "endorsement" of the Civil Rights movement much later in life shows his lack of credibility and that he was a shameless politician. It makes me laugh how people can just overlook that part of his life.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:41 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,437 times
I think you folks need to accept that politicians are controversial even in death. Were any of you around political forums in 2004 when Reagan died? Forums across the internet lit up like a Christmas tree with the constant barrage of hate (especially DU). And he had been no where near the political process for 15 years at that point. In fact, the only time in recent memory that the death of a politician did not cause a ruckus was when former president Ford died.

Of course, this is no way justifies taking stabs at a dead person, even if they were a politician. I am sure Byrd will be remembered by the people of West Virginia for his long service to the state.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:42 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Uh sorry, he doesn't get away that easy in my opinion. You don't just casually join the KKK and lead the opposition against Civil Rights movement. His "endorsement" of the Civil Rights movement much later in life shows his lack of credibility and that he was a shameless politician. It makes me laugh how people can just overlook that part of his life.
You know, my father was about the same age as Byrd, dead these 14 years now. He never belonged to the Klan, but held similar views to Byrd's at the same point in time. He mellowed over the years. I think Byrd did, too.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:43 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,845,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
There would be celebrations from the Republicans base too. Don't forget. His approval rating was what? 22 percent?
Just because someone does not approve of Bushs policies and choices doesnt mean they wish death or would find joy in his death.

Only a person with a cold heart person would do that

Old 06-28-2010, 08:43 AM

20,458 posts, read 12,379,585 times
For those "shocked" by the conservatives who arent being kind to Mr. Byrd... for those who have used this thread as proof positive that you should never vote for a republican... please follow this link and review the liberal hate against Dick Cheney.

News: Good Old Boy Cheney Hospitalized

Old 06-28-2010, 08:51 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
For those "shocked" by the conservatives who arent being kind to Mr. Byrd... for those who have used this thread as proof positive that you should never vote for a republican... please follow this link and review the liberal hate against Dick Cheney.

News: Good Old Boy Cheney Hospitalized
Tit for Tat

Pot meet Kettle

I could go on, but I'll stop there.

This thread needs to be closed.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:59 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times

YouTube - Senator Byrd's Speech Opposing Iraq War 3/19/03 Part 1

Old 06-28-2010, 09:05 AM

10,014 posts, read 15,662,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
I think you folks need to accept that politicians are controversial even in death. Were any of you around political forums in 2004 when Reagan died? Forums across the internet lit up like a Christmas tree with the constant barrage of hate (especially DU). And he had been no where near the political process for 15 years at that point. In fact, the only time in recent memory that the death of a politician did not cause a ruckus was when former president Ford died.

Of course, this is no way justifies taking stabs at a dead person, even if they were a politician. I am sure Byrd will be remembered by the people of West Virginia for his long service to the state.
Best post on the thread, Frankie. Thanks.

It's understandable that people would want to discuss the man and his career, but can't we keep the viler comments out of the discussion at least until the man's funeral?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies