Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 12:43 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,399,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
What makes you two think there are ANY rules about spying? Or sinking each others ships when it becomes necessary?
When it becomes necessary? That is an act of war and there these things called ROE's. So, yes, there are rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 12:47 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,712,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
What makes you two think there are ANY rules about spying? Or sinking each others ships when it becomes necessary?
Not sure where you're getting at, neither is acceptable. And when caught, actions need to be taken, and with consistency (laws).

Old 06-29-2010, 01:01 PM

25,915 posts, read 24,579,369 times
Spying has never gone away. The US is also pretty active in that area, Brits as well... After all, the infrastructure and networks is already there, what to do with it and the employees?
I guess the focus might have shifted a bit from politics towards economics. There has been repeated strain between the EU and the US because of the ongoing US spying on European companies Germany in particular has been the target of Russia, the US and China.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:25 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,399,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Not sure where you're getting at, neither is acceptable. And when caught, actions need to be taken, and with consistency (laws).
This I can absolutely agree with you on.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:12 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,398,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
Very true.

What scares me is that many of our leaders seem to want to "hold hands and sing songs" with these Govts.
Wants? We already are. The Russians are useful when we need them and vice versa.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:15 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,398,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
See comments like that baffle me and open up a whole new round of questions.
Yes we do spy on friends as they do us but............

Do people such as yourself realize that as much as we "believe" in this whole world order crap....Its all non-sense.

America 1st........other countries 2nd.......thats my belief,it seems to me that many in this country have this "we are the world crap".....Go over to one of these ****-hole countries and see if they care were your from before they slit your throat.

People need to wake up!

We will always have enemies....plain and simple.
And sometimes they are our allies at the same time. Not so plain and simple.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:35 PM

597 posts, read 1,294,393 times
This "espionage affair" between U.S. and Russia looks like a James Bond movie. Never ending, always has a continuation.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:42 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,438,977 times
I'm not too concerned about these alleged Russian spies for several reasons:

1-I'm sure we have our own American spies in Russia. Just part of the game...occassionally they get caught. The Israelis had spies in our country that we've discovered--the Chinese have done it in the past; Are we really naive enough to think that this isn't happening between most countries in the world?

2-Russian spies seems like such a quaint throwback at this point that it's kind of a fun reminder of Cold War-nostalgia and what the world was like prior to having to worry about Islamic militants all the time. The old James Bond and spy films were a lot better when the Russians were around to be used as protagonists.

3-Have you seen the pictures of one of the alleged Russian spies?
Anna Chapman Photos: Pictures Of Alleged Russian Spy "Anya" Chapman

Only thing she's guilty of is giving me a stiffy...What's her bail? I'll pay it in full...

Old 06-29-2010, 03:23 PM

442 posts, read 961,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Im confused about this. I noticed that most (all?) of those who were arrested as Russian spies had "American" names and lived in normal communities across our country from suburban Boston to Seattle.

Now:

1) Were these people deep cover Russians using American sounding names to blend in easier or were they native born Americans hired by the Russians?

2) If the above answer is yes, they are native born Americans then why are we not trying them for espionage (and/or treason) and execute them? These people are traitors and they deserve alot more then 5 years in a federal prison. After they dance a *** on the end of a rope we should cut their heads off and send them to Putin. He will never f--k with us again.

Because that is not the American way....that would be inhuman

Old 06-29-2010, 04:46 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,024,276 times
Russian spies in UK 'at cold war levels', says MI5 | World news | The Guardian

"Russia is interested in particular in the energy policies of the west, given the importance of its own oil and natural gas reserves, and the Kremlin's determination to use them as an instrument of foreign policy, the officials said. Dmitry Medvedev, the Russian president, is a former chairman of Gazprom, Russia's giant energy company.

"Though Britain is less dependent on energy imports than continental countries, both Labour and the coalition government has highlighted the issue in their national security strategies.

"They have made the point that Russia and China were making control of energy supply a foreign policy priority."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies