Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 10:37 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,185,768 times

Advertisements

I just wondered what would be learned if only C-D readers were polled about this subject. I will show the link of one poll about this, nation wide, and follow it with a poll of Louisiana people. Of course, many here will say that the 49% who support that activity isn't many. You need to read the number that are against it.

49% Favor Deepwater Oil Drilling - Rasmussen Reports™
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 10:39 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,250,617 times
Yes, with a good look at the rules, rigs and enforcement.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:41 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,404,194 times
I would rather see drilling closer to the shore (shallow water), or on land, where it is more easily controlled/cleaned up

31,767 posts, read 28,749,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Yes, with a good look at the rules, rigs and enforcement.
Let me see if I get that right... if there are potential issues that need to be looked at, you'd be wary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I would rather see drilling closer to the shore (shallow water), or on land, where it is more easily controlled/cleaned up
And that already happens. It is not the point of debate here. This is about deep water drilling.

5,562 posts, read 5,668,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I just wondered what would be learned if only C-D readers were polled about this subject. I will show the link of one poll about this, nation wide, and follow it with a poll of Louisiana people. Of course, many here will say that the 49% who support that activity isn't many. You need to read the number that are against it.

I am for getting the oil were it is.
If it can be bad to the environment in case of a disaster other safety valves and shutdown options need to be in place.

Until alternative fuels are found and IMPLEMENTED and at lower cost then OIL.
I say drill and remove the gas tax while your at it and give no tax dollars or tax breaks to any company oil or otherwise.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:43 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,064,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post

Until they are prepared to handle a disaster like the one in the gulf-no.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:44 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,618,268 times
I would allow deep water drilling only under carefully controlled and continuously inspected conditions (a experienced oil driller as a government inspector on every shift) after a complete safety review of the conditions and the rig. Deep water drilling is far more dangerous to the workers than commercial flying so we should have similar requirements. The potential profits are so high that the inspection costs would be lost in the round off.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:49 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,522,684 times
As somone who has gotten rid of his car by choice, I'm pretty much against most forms of drilling that aren't "conventional".

Sure that would send oil price shooting up, which I wouldn't mind very much, since it would take a lot of cars off the road.

I'm not an environmentalist, but I do think in urban areas, there are WAAAAAY too many cars when you have other options availabe.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:52 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,627,225 times
Deep water drilling is very dangerous and has extreme consequences if the perfect storm of incidents were to occur as we are witnessing currently. On the one hand, one large company can tap a very large oil field and reap massive profits while supplying domestic oil to feed the nations addiction thereby decreasing our dependence on middle eastern oil. On the other hand when a catastrophic falure occurs, the livelyhood of thousands of commercial fishermen and industries that depend on the tourist dollars can be ruined for many years, yet to be determined.

All that being said, I would support deep water drilling if we had a "failsafe" system in place to insure no more spills like we are witnessing now. Currently the industry has proven that it does not. The oil industry must prove to the nation that if a blowout occurs at deep water levels, they have the equipment and tecnology to handle it efficiently and expediciously. Under those conditions I would endorse deep water drilling.

I think Obama is right to call a "time out" until the industry can prove it is capable of mitigiating another deep water blow out.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:54 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,250,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
They would love to do that. They can not get the permits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies