U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 12:36 PM

7,956 posts, read 2,690,177 times

Advertisements

That's right folks .... all you people who care about what you eat .. you label readers who don't want to consume all those chemicals that you cannot even pronounce ..... you are mentally ill !!!

Pure food obsession is latest eating disorder | Society | The Observer

This dangerous condition is called "Orthorexia Nervosa", who's symptoms include eating healthy, organic items. That's right ... all you nut jobs out there that think fluoride shouldn't be put into your drinking water ... well .. you suffer from mental illness ... according to our experts in the medical establishment.

So let's get ONE THING STRAIGHT .... those of you concerned about being healthy ... you're sick in the head:

Quote:
Eating disorder charities are reporting a rise in the number of people suffering from a serious psychological condition characterised by an obsession with healthy eating.

The condition, orthorexia nervosa, affects equal numbers of men and women, but sufferers tend to be aged over 30, middle-class and well-educated.

The condition was named by a Californian doctor, Steven Bratman, in 1997, and is described as a "fixation on righteous eating". Until a few years ago, there were so few sufferers that doctors usually included them under the catch-all label of "Ednos" – eating disorders not otherwise recognised. Now, experts say, orthorexics take up such a significant proportion of the Ednos group that they should be treated separately.
Pure food obsession is latest eating disorder | Society | The Observer
Now, just a few years ago, something like this might have made a cute skit on Saturday Night Live ... today .. in our Orwellian world, these medical establishment ghouls have now lost THEIR minds completely.

I wonder if Obamacare is going to cover this new mental disease?? No doubt treatment for this disease will include prescriptions for sodium fluoride supplements to be added to the water ... and a nationwide ban on water filters ... a dangerous device which experts say may be the leading cause of this disease

So tell me Winston ... how many fingers am I holding up?

Just one ... doctor ... the middle one.

I start this in the Politics and other controversies category in the hope that at least a couple of people consider this "slightly" controversial.

The fact is ... anyone that continues to shout "conspiracy theory" every time a subject comes up that doesn't fit their mental programming ... here's the proof that you are being programmed ... and the absurdity of that program knows no bounds.

In the new world ... being healthy is now considered a mental illness ... and I can't wait for the nuts to come rushing in to explain the logic of this INSANITY. It should be entertaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 12:50 PM

16,201 posts, read 5,606,577 times
The doctor makes a good point. Vegans are a great example of this. They swear they look great, but they look like skeletons with flesh hanging off their bones. They look malnourished with no muscle tone, but they swear they look the best they ever have. That IS a mental disorder just like what was described in your article.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:00 PM

1,041 posts, read 746,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
That's right folks .... all you people who care about what you eat .. you label readers who don't want to consume all those chemicals that you cannot even pronounce ..... you are mentally ill !!!
There's a difference between caring and being obsessed. The article makes it clear the disorder is about those who obsess (aren't all obsession disorders?) about healthy food.

I chose carefully what I eat. For instance I will opt for organic food even if it's more expensive because it's freshier and tastes better. It's also more local (cost less transportation). But if the organic vedgetables or fruits look like garbage, I won't have second thoughts about buying "industrial" products that are filled with pesticides. Those giant transgenic strawberries are awesome.

Or I will opt for products that aren't packaged in unnecessary plastics (phtalates and hydrocarbons have reportedly reduce male sperm count by half!) but if I'm thirsty or hungry, I won't mind buying a water bottle or eating lunch in some plastic thing.

I try to eat as much fresh vedgies as possible, but it doesn't stop me from eating hot dogs until I explode when I go to the theater.

Anyway, you see where I'm getting at. It's all about balance but you make it sound like being conscious about what you put in your plate means you're sick in the head. Being obsessed about anything is being sick.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:07 PM

33,804 posts, read 29,249,845 times
Being careful about what you eat is normal. Obsessing about what you eat, like all obsessions, is a disease. Obsessions do not need to make sense. The psycho industry finally noticed it and gave it a name. Now they can make a lot of money treating it.

I want to be there the first time a sufferer is forced to eat a hot dog from a street vendor.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:29 PM

19,126 posts, read 15,159,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
The doctor makes a good point. Vegans are a great example of this. They swear they look great, but they look like skeletons with flesh hanging off their bones. They look malnourished with no muscle tone, but they swear they look the best they ever have. That IS a mental disorder just like what was described in your article.
I know 3 Vegans personally and they absolutely do not look as you describe. My boyfriends mother is a Vegan yoga teacher (yeah..I know ) and she just turned 59...and looks like she's in her early 30s. Extremely healthy and active.

And yes, there is a point where you can absolutely be obsessive about what you eat. It's like people with OCD who wash their hands until they crack and bleed (my sisters best friend was like that for many years) and then saying 'What, you don't like to be clean?!'. There is a point where it becomes detrimental to your health.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:36 PM

17,844 posts, read 7,892,310 times
Watching what you eat, buying healthy foods, and obessing over them, is two different things. One can be obsessed about anything in life. it is when you carry things to the extreme that starts to get pretty scarey.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:42 PM

1,234 posts, read 1,538,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
The fact is ... anyone that continues to shout "conspiracy theory" every time a subject comes up that doesn't fit their mental programming ... here's the proof that you are being programmed ... and the absurdity of that program knows no bounds.

In the new world ... being healthy is now considered a mental illness ... and I can't wait for the nuts to come rushing in to explain the logic of this INSANITY. It should be entertaining.
Uh, yeah. Orthorexia nervosa is characterized by a maniacal obsession with eating healthy. They won't go out to eat because they don't trust the preparation, and they think about healthy food for hours at a time.

Eating well is good, but going mad about it is not healthy.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:46 PM

9,976 posts, read 7,421,928 times
Is there a mental disorder for people who eat extremely unhealthy diets? For example, obese people whose diets consist solely of super-sized fast food meals, frozen fish sticks, fried snacks, and soda--yet don't understand why they are fat and unhealthy.

Oh wait, that's just called stupidity...

Old 06-30-2010, 08:39 PM

7,956 posts, read 2,690,177 times
Astounding. The replies here are simply UNBELIEVABLE.

I can draw only one of two conclusions ... many of you are in fact NOT obsessed with healthy eating, evidenced by the fluoride induced chemical brain damage implied by your responses ... or severely challenged in the reading comprehension department which could be caused by the same.

Dissecting a portion of the text of the article:

"Those most susceptible are middle-class, well-educated people who read about food scares in the papers, research them on the internet, and have the time and money to source what they believe to be purer alternatives."

Now this is really amazing ... lets look at the logical converse to the above statement

"Those least susceptible are the lower class, less educated people who do not read about food scares in the papers, nor are interested in researching what they consume, nor do they have the time or the money to seek out and purchase healthier alternatives"

Forgive me if I choose the mental disorder .... because I'd rather that label than the alternative which is ... a lower class, uneducated idiot who will consume anything fed them without questions or concerns.

I see I am in the extreme minority.

Delving further:

Deanne Jade, founder of the National Centre for Eating Disorders, said: "There is a fine linebetween people who think they are taking care of themselves by manipulating their diet and those who have orthorexia. I see people around me who have no idea they have this disorder. I see it in my practice and I see it among my friends and colleagues."

Ah ha! Ms Jade ... the founder of the National Center for Eating Disorders says this disease is EVERYWHERE ... all around her, people have it and don't know it ... people she sees in her practice .. and among her friends and colleagues too. Kinda like high cholesterol ... everybody has it because everybody needs to be taking lipitor ( or so says the manufacturer and the Doctors being paid to say so).

So you see ladies and gentlemen (or maybe you still don't get it) this is not about some phobia that prevents people from leading normal lives, which has them paralyzed with panic attacks and obsessions about dropping dead at the mere sight of a cheeseburger... no ... this is about highly intelligent and educated people who research the dangers of genetically modified foods ... who know about the deleterious affects of fluoride in their water ... about those who have demonstrated the wisdom to educate themselves about the heath hazards associated with all of the pesticides, chemicals, hormones and artificial sweeteners that are almost impossible to avoid without engaging significant effort. These are the people who have a mental problem ... people who consciously choose not to consume poisons and artificial crap.

Conversely, an indicator of good mental heath appears to be the willingness to consume anything without a concern for such things as good health, and the consensus opinion apparently agrees!

So for the sake of good mental health, we should abandon education ... strive for less intelligence ... thank God for our low incomes ... and stop reading the fine print on the back of those boxes of moonpies. I got it

Things are worse than I thought.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:48 PM

12,252 posts, read 17,100,535 times
I think we should all go back to the cave man days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies